0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    [url]http://www.kiiitv.com/news/local/63609477.html[/URL]

KIIITV News

Story Created: Oct 6, 2009 at 12:22 PM CDT
    Story Updated: Oct 6, 2009 at 12:27 PM CDT

(October 5, 2009)

A warning about a rental scam you should know about if you've been looking a property. A Texas A&M Corpus Christi student spotted a scam, when she started to look for a new place to live. She didn't fall for the scam and wants to make sure others don't either.
    Tired of living in an apartment, Leslie Meyer decided to look for a home to rent. She turned to Craigslist, found a home she liked, and emailed the renter.
    Meyer says, "He pretty much said I'm a contractor in west africa and I can't show you the house because I'll be gone for the next 2 years, but send me the deposit and first months rent and I'll send you the keys."
    She drove by the home and came to find out the home already had owners.
    Meyer says, "I knocked on the door and it ended up that there's a family that lived here and it's just a big scam."
    Aaron Guevara of 361 Realty says, "This isn't the first time that I've heard of it, but this is the first time that I've been approached with it."
    Guevara with 361 Realty had actually just sold the home to a friend.
    Leslie didn't fall for it, in fact she reproted the scam to the Better Business Bureau, but they're still out there.
    If you've fallen victim to a scam or want to warn others, send us an e-mail at: news@kiiitv.com

Top Bottom