Lynx Defense

Rep Stickland attempts to amend disaster carry bill (HB1177) to defacto Constitutional Ca

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX

HB 1177 would allow non license holders to carry while evacuating a declared disaster area up to 168hrs after the declaration.
    The first amendment would have expanded the time frame from 168hrs to 365 days. It was disallowed.
    The second amendment would have changed it from 168hrs to 168 years. :) It was also disallowed.
    https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/history.aspx?LegSess=86R&Bill=HB1177

OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    Disaster area??
    Am I the only one who dont get that?

To me it seems this bill is just some minor virtue signalling. I'm sure plenty of people voted it for it to say "see I support expanding gun rights" while doing practically nothing. Stickland wanted to expand the bill to actually make it useful to more people.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    We cant and wont have CC in Texas apparently...how many tries did it take to get "concealed" out of the old concealed carry law?

I still haven't witnessed my first old west shootout as a result of allowing OC that they all said would happen.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    You don't have concealed carry because of the Speaker of the House. I also suspect our Lt. Gov had a hand in this tragedy.Next time the Speakers comes up for reelection we need to support his opponent directly with contributions. No donations going through the GOP. I think Dan Patrick is a lip service kinda guy. I would even volunteer some time in grassroots activity for his opponent. I think a grassroots campaign for a worthy person to oppose the Speaker next time would get some of the 2A GOP fakes sit up and take notice.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Shrug I can conceal carry I duno where you get we do not have it. You just need to get a license to carry easy peasy

You don't have concealed carry because of the Speaker of the House. I also suspect our Lt. Gov had a hand in this tragedy.Next time the Speakers comes up for reelection we need to support his opponent directly with contributions. No donations going through the GOP. I think Dan Patrick is a lip service kinda guy. I would even volunteer some time in grassroots activity for his opponent. I think a grassroots campaign for a worthy person to oppose the Speaker next time would get some of the 2A GOP fakes sit up and take notice.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    We cant and wont have CC in Texas apparently...how many tries did it take to get "concealed" out of the old concealed carry law?

I still haven't witnessed my first old west shootout as a result of allowing OC that they all said would happen.

Heck, it was going to be Dodge City on Saturday night when concealed carry was passed...

And you are right, same scare tactic used for OC.

There will never be a problem with a law abiding citizen carrying any weapon. And criminals will always disregard any weapons law.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas

you won't witness any blood baths CC is nothing new in some states that have had it for a while. Its been told by the anti gunners for years. Every time I hear this I challenge the anti gunners to take a peek at the stats the DPS has kept for years. It takes any credence away from them to portray us law abiding citizens as rabid crazy killers. I usually don't hear from them again because there is no wiggle room in the stats.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    you won't witness any blood baths CC is nothing new in some states that have had it for a while. Its been told by the anti gunners for years. Every time I hear this I challenge the anti gunners to take a peek at the stats the DPS has kept for years. It takes any credence away from them to portray us law abiding citizens as rabid crazy killers. I usually don't hear from them again because there is no wiggle room in the stats.
    Dammit I never said that

I'm fully aware of the political situation here and in other states

I dont need educated in the matter but thanks anyway

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    The problem is not enough of us do not go Capitol and speak to the legislator like the MDA do. We need to change that. I told some groups like OCT and TSRA that we need sufficient notice to take time away from work to counter the paid protestors.

dogbone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Llano County
    The problem is not enough of us do not go Capitol and speak to the legislator like the MDA do. We need to change that. I told some groups like OCT and TSRA that we need sufficient notice to take time away from work to counter the paid protestors.

The House rules say they only need to give three days notice. They also get to throw the rules out the window whenever they choose. This past Wednesday (April 17) several bills were dropped from the Homeland Security agenda with no warning and three more bills were added. It sucks when you are trying to testify on a particular bill and spend 15 hours waiting to testify for two minutes.

One option is to plan on being in Austin for a committee hearing regardless of what is on the schedule. I can almost guarantee there will be at least two or three bills you want to either support or kill. I try to make it to the Capitol on Wednesday because that is when the Panic Button Poncho circus takes place. I can use the published agenda as a basis to work up testimony on several bills with hopes at least one of them will be heard.

Is it a PITA to try to schedule time off from work, school, family events, etc.? Yes, it is but it is an important step to take to preserve our rights. The legislature is in session for about another month. Can you spare one day to show up and speak up?

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    The House rules say they only need to give three days notice. They also get to throw the rules out the window whenever they choose. This past Wednesday (April 17) several bills were dropped from the Homeland Security agenda with no warning and three more bills were added. It sucks when you are trying to testify on a particular bill and spend 15 hours waiting to testify for two minutes.

One option is to plan on being in Austin for a committee hearing regardless of what is on the schedule. I can almost guarantee there will be at least two or three bills you want to either support or kill. I try to make it to the Capitol on Wednesday because that is when the Panic Button Poncho circus takes place. I can use the published agenda as a basis to work up testimony on several bills with hopes at least one of them will be heard.

Is it a PITA to try to schedule time off from work, school, family events, etc.? Yes, it is but it is an important step to take to preserve our rights. The legislature is in session for about another month. Can you spare one day to show up and speak up?

I will coordinate better with my employer and I will do my best to help them out. I talk with the president of OCT a lot of times in twitter. I feel MDA gets more advance notice then us as they have resources like busing and even give gift cards after the hearings.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I will coordinate better with my employer and I will do my best to help them out. I talk with the president of OCT a lot of times in twitter. I feel MDA gets more advance notice then us as they have resources like busing and even give gift cards after the hearings.

Plus I'm willing to bet most don't work and they probably coordinate child care amongst each other on site if needed.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Plus I'm willing to bet most don't work and they probably coordinate child care amongst each other on site if needed.

Yep that too. It is strange that they are well coordinated as busing is not a task with little notice. It requires logistics and planning which questions the motives of some of these reps.

dogbone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Llano County

Just showing up for one hearing may not sound like much but if 1% of the members here did that we would see close to 300 more people speaking up for gun rights. Having even 50 additional people at a hearing would be HUGE! Please make an effort to come down to the Capitol at least once this session.

The Mommies bus ride day was their org's scheduled "lobby day." Most of them never attended a hearing. They came for a photo op on the steps, sat in the House gallery, and then were guided around to visit their legicritter's offices by out-of-state handlers. What they managed to accomplish is debatable. Showing up and speaking up at a hearing and regular contact with your Representative and Senator is more effective than a busload of shills.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom