Hurley's Gold

Requirement to purchase handgun in Texas as (Conditional) permanent resident?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timf79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Texas
    Hello,

I went to a store today in order to inquire about purchasing a handgun.
    The sales person stated that I needed to provide:
    - 90 days of bills at current resident
    - permanent resident card
    - texas issued drivers license with current address

I got my DL when I still was on a VISA status, therefore my DL states "Temporary Visitor Status expires XX/XX/XX".
    The store clerk said that he coudl not sell me a gun with a DL that states the above.

Nevertheless the TxDP states that with a 2year permanent resident card (status CR6) only a drivers license with expiration date matching to the expiration of the permanent resident card will be issued.

I reserached the internet, but I could not find anything that would verify the above.

I hope anybody here can clarify?

I also assume what applies to purchasing a handgun applies to CHL elgibility.
    Lynx Defense

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Oh Lordy! Where 's my popcorn, He's got a point though. I didn't even know that non residents with a state Dl could purchase a firearm after a certain period of time. That's kind of messed up considering all the crap with we got going on with Mexico right now.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Re: Requirement to pruchase handgun in Texas as (Conditional) permanent resident?

Sounds like you need to go to the dmv and get a new licence, I think it's about 6 bucks and you should be able to get the correct info on it.

Welcome to the forum, If you ever come back....

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Re: Requirement to pruchase handgun in Texas as (Conditional) permanent resident?

Cleaned this up and sent to admin forum for review. Apoligies to the OP.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    A non-resident alien cannot purchase a weapon neither can they obtain a CHL. Once you get you become a documented permanent resident you may. You will, however need to provide the added material specified. Until I got my US citizenship, I had to do the same.

I surges test getting you drivers license updated because that will be you first roadblock. The. Be sure to take your green card with you. Finally, take three months I'd utility bills. They must have your name and a Texas address.

You may request reprints or print copies from the Internet if you did not save them.

timf79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Texas

Howdy, thanls for the asnwers.
    My point beeing is that I can not find any differentiation in gun laws that deal with permanent resident (green card holder) that have a 2-year, 10-year or unlimited green card?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

I don't think there is a difference. Permanent resident is permanent resident. What you're looking for is at the Federal level, and the FFL is sorely mistake about at least one of their conditions (90 days of utility bills? BS.). Might try a different one that actually knows what he's talking about.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville

I have a green card. Been here in Texas 5 years before that a couple in FLA. Still need the 3 months utility bills and always have a wait of at least a day before I can pickup the purchase.

Just one of the hurdles we have.

and @ HKUSP1, The issues with Mexico have been going on for many many years. But they are just one of many other peoples who move to Texas, fortunately most of the others do not bring the same issues that seem to come from south of the border.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I have a green card. Been here in Texas 5 years before that a couple in FLA. Still need the 3 months utility bills and always have a wait of at least a day before I can pickup the purchase.

Just one of the hurdles we have.

and @ HKUSP1, The issues with Mexico have been going on for many many years. But they are just one of many other peoples who move to Texas, fortunately most of the others do not bring the same issues that seem to come from south of the border.

awesome, atleast someone with some personal experiance to try and help =)

NightTrainHD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Richmond, Tx

My wife has a 10 year green card, normal Texas D/L and a CHL. She has to take 90 days of bills as well. They do mean 90 days so don't use February bills.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

That 90 days of bills BS sounds like it is made up...I have never heard of such a thing.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

That 90 days of bills BS sounds like it is made up...I have never heard of such a thing.

Actually, it's accurate. Buddy of mine has to do the same. And he confirmed it w/BATFE first (he's a licensed security officer w/a PPO certification as well - so he's VERY careful to stay w/in the law).

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

Thats hilarious....I cant think of anything less official than "90 days of bills". Good job BATFE.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

Thats hilarious....I cant think of anything less official than "90 days of bills". Good job BATFE.

They use it to establish a residency, under the theory that if you're paying the bill, then you've gotta be there. Yeah, I know - but let's face it, it CAN make life easier for the gun buyer than some of the other ways they could come up with!

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    I agree the 90 days of billing is BS. Before I got my citizenship I used my AT&T wireless bill because it met the criteria; having both my name and address, and I could print them from the online portal at any time.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

I can make up 90 days of "bills" with microsoft word. My kids can do it. The whole premise is very unofficial.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

I can make up 90 days of "bills" with microsoft word. My kids can do it. The whole premise is very unofficial.

So....what would you propose? I've got it - let's start a new "Czar of Residency", where folks have to physically register with an office and go there daily to prove they live in the area. At the end of 90 days, they get their "certificate to buy a gun". Oh, wait - with a flight schedule, they could fly in and out of the country....

See what I mean - where would you stop? Yeah, it's another hoop that CAN be circumvented, but generally folks aren't going to go through the trouble....

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

YOU are the one that brought up MORE government interference not less. My point was that "90 days of bills" proves nothing, and is so easy to fake it borders the absurd.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

YOU are the one that brought up MORE government interference not less. My point was that "90 days of bills" proves nothing, and is so easy to fake it borders the absurd.

Guess we're both on the same point....stupid rule, stupid rule makers.....just leave us alone!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom