Guns International

Requirement to purchase handgun in Texas as (Conditional) permanent resident?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timf79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Texas
    Re: Requirement to pruchase handgun in Texas as (Conditional) permanent resident?

OK,
    so I mailed a dealer on guntrader about a XDm compact and he also asked for a "qualifyin document" aka Hunting License, LOL.
    He let him know that he must be mistaken as this is only relevant for non-immigrant aliens.

So but now another question:
    I went to the DMV today to get a new DL, hence i have the temporary paper DL.
    Would this be sufficient? I can't see why not as it is a fully legal Texas DL.

Any experiences

On a different note, as thes spouse of a US citizen I can apply for naturalization (US citizenship) after 3 years of greencard.
    Which is a "must" for me.
    First and foremost I believe that my wife and I should have the same citisenship, but also I love this country more than my birth country.
    Target Sports

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    I think the temporary license is sufficient but it will depend on the dealer. Some just run scared from anything that is not cookie cutter.

I came from Canada to the states and did not give up my Canadian citizenship until I was sure that I would not go back. Once I made that decision, the gun collection started to grow. One of the best decisions I ever made. :-)

-Glen, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Re: Requirement to pruchase handgun in Texas as (Conditional) permanent resident?

Code of Federal Regulations
    Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

PART 478—COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
    Subpart H—Records

§ 478.124 Firearms transaction record.

(c)

(3) After the transferee has executed the Form 4473, the licensee:
    (i) Shall verify the identity of the transferee by examining the identification document (as defined in §478.11) presented, and shall note on the Form 4473 the type of identification used;
    (ii) Shall, in the case of a transferee who is an alien legally in the United States, cause the transferee to present documentation establishing that the transferee is a resident of the State (as defined in §478.11) in which the licensee's business premises is located, and shall note on the form the documentation used. Examples of acceptable documentation include utility bills or a lease agreement which show that the transferee has resided in the State continuously for at least 90 days prior to the transfer of the firearm; and
    (iii) Must, in the case of a transferee who is a nonimmigrant alien who states that he or she falls within an exception to, or has a waiver from, the nonimmigrant alien prohibition, have the transferee present applicable documentation establishing the exception or waiver, note on the Form 4473 the type of documentation provided, and attach a copy of the documentation to the Form 4473.

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

PART 478—COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
    Subpart B—Definitions
    § 478.11 Meaning of terms.

State of residence. The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. An alien who is legally in the United States shall be considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in the State and has resided in the State for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale or delivery of a firearm. The following are examples that illustrate this definition:

[SIZE=-1]Example 1. A maintains a home in State X. A travels to State Y on a hunting, fishing, business, or other type of trip. A does not become a resident of State Y by reason of such trip.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and maintains a home in State X and a home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months of the year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a resident of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in State Y, A is a resident of State Y.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Example 3. A, an alien, travels on vacation or on a business trip to State X. Regardless of the length of time A spends in State X, A does not have a State of residence in State X. This is because A does not have a home in State X at which he has resided for at least 90 days.[/SIZE]

timf79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Texas

Go an e-mail from the ATF today that the "paper" DL from the DMV is sufficient.

So now it will just depend on a dealer...

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

Go an e-mail from the ATF today that the "paper" DL from the DMV is sufficient.

So now it will just depend on a dealer...

If you are an alien you have to prove you have resided in your state for 90 days

kryten67

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Round Rock
    I am going to step into a big pile here and say that If someone is requiring you show the 90 day stuff walk out the door and do some business with people who know the law...:-)

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I am going to step into a big pile here and say that If someone is requiring you show the 90 day stuff walk out the door and do some business with people who know the law...:-)

Um...until December, it WAS the law - so give 'em a break, eh? And even then....I didn't notice you mentioning the recent change.....

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Be careful if we get Romeny for President. In 2003 in Mass he raised the "gun tax" a fee paid each time you bought a gun from $25 to $100. This is not a sales tax it is a fee/tax that he put through to make more money for the state. He's against the 2nd amendment, though says he is for it. Search it out and see. Imagine buying a gun for $200, then payinig the gun tax $100, then the sales tax... your gun $200 gun only cost you $325.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Ridiculous.

Why does someone from somewhere else have less of a right to defend themselves? These rights are self-evident/natural-law/God-given, and apply to all humans regardless of man-made-law, including where they are from. Being Texan doesn't make a human worth more in God's eyes. We are all intrinsically equal.

Sorry... but such silly-ness and arrogance on the part of some men who claim to represent "the people" just chap my ass.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Be careful if we get Romeny for President. In 2003 in Mass he raised the "gun tax" a fee paid each time you bought a gun from $25 to $100. This is not a sales tax it is a fee/tax that he put through to make more money for the state. He's against the 2nd amendment, though says he is for it. Search it out and see. Imagine buying a gun for $200, then payinig the gun tax $100, then the sales tax... your gun $200 gun only cost you $325.

Even Obama didn't do that, Think a Republican, who wants a second term, is going to touch gun law with any anti consequences with a 200 foot pole?

There are reasons not to vote for Romeny, but being scared of what he plans to do with guns and gun rights isn't one of them.

timf79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Texas
    While the process of becoming a legal alien is not easy, it is not the worst.
    I still perceive the officials of any kind in the US friendlier and more helpfull than in my home country.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi

OK,
    so I mailed a dealer on guntrader about a XDm compact and he also asked for a "qualifyin document" aka Hunting License, LOL.
    He let him know that he must be mistaken as this is only relevant for non-immigrant aliens.

So but now another question:
    I went to the DMV today to get a new DL, hence i have the temporary paper DL.
    Would this be sufficient? I can't see why not as it is a fully legal Texas DL.

Any experiences

On a different note, as thes spouse of a US citizen I can apply for naturalization (US citizenship) after 3 years of greencard.
    Which is a "must" for me.
    First and foremost I believe that my wife and I should have the same citisenship, but also I love this country more than my birth country.
    I've actually changed my driver's license while in the gun store online, had them print up a temporary DL and used that as ID for the background check.

Top Bottom