• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Ok I'm really not sure this is worthy of it's own thread but I'm going to make one anyways. Lately I've been missing a lot of aspects of military life and camaraderie, I have thought a lot about reserves but ultimately decided it wasn't for me with part of that contributing to the fact that the closest unit with a neeed for my MOS/rank is Houston or Ft Worth area. I have kicked around the idea of Army reserves though since there is a unit close but not quite sure if it would be worth pursuing, I know there would be a huge culture shock being all my experience is active duty Marine Corps but still think maybe.

Anyways my real question is have any of you gone from active duty in one branch to reserves in another? If not but you have some insight going from active to reserve in the same branch or just reserves in general I would welcome your advice/opinions.
    DK Firearms

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Your experience is the Army Reserves will be heavily dependent on the unit. Some are great, some......not so much.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Your experience is the Army Reserves will be heavily dependent on the unit. Some are great, some......not so much.

I figured as much, like I said I'm nowhere near signing any papers but have been doing a lot of research. Seems 91G would be the Army equivalent to my mos but if I went would be looking into 91F as small arms repair was my planned lat move when I was thinking about re enlistment.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

My experience in the USAR reflects this.

My units were OK. We were understaffed, so it was a bunch of ad hoc leadership doing the best they could. I was also in the only battalion in the whole country that did what we did. We were around some reserve units that were pretty tightly ran (AGRs that really did their jobs, AGRs in leadership positions) and others that were ate up.

It's a tricky question man. I did my 8 years (6x2 but drilled all 8) and got out. Glad I did my small part and glad to be done.

Any of your friends from the Marines make the switch?

How about we all join the Texas State Guard (not National Guard) together and form a TGT unit?

Home - Texas State Guard

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The Reserves always look for good people. A fair number of Marines go over to the Army Reserves, because it is a good way towards a retirement check.

You will find camaraderie in the Reserves to be much the same as in the Corps.

I did a tour in Bosnia with an Army Reserve unit. They had more in common with themselves than in any active unit I ever served in.

Their espirit de corps was over the top. That unit had Federal Judges, Local Cops, Electrical Engineers, and a bunch of gung-ho citizens happy to find a path out of the day-to-day drudgery of a normal job.

Their biggest gripe was that Federal rules kept them from making it a full time job.

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX
    I was prior active duty army, and went into the army national guard shortly after, and retrained into a new MOS. That guard unit was very poorly run, and I did my 3 year hitch and got out. Stayed out for about 10 years, and decided that I missed a lot of things about the culture.
    I joined the air national guard, again re-training. I was in a VERY active, squared away unit (part of AF Special Operations Command), did many TDY's and deployments, and eventually got hired as a full time technician. I eventually left that job to work in the contractor world, which eventually brought me to TX. I spent 11 years with that unit.
    Once here, I transferred to an air force reserve unit in Fort Worth, and am planning to retire later this year. They aren't as high speed as my old unit, which created some culture shock, but it's not been too bad. All in all, it's been a very positive experience, I did have to retrain, but that experience has led me to my current civilian career.
    If you go in realizing that there are some differences between active and reserve, as well as some similarities, it can be a good time. One big plus with guard/reserve units is that you work around and with people that have spent a lifetime with that unit, and have a lot more invested in creating a successful unit than active duty folks who are in and out in 3 years. I have worked with people who had 40 or more years in the same place.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    That's part of what I was looking for with the reserves, all the guys in the unit would be local everyday joes and for the most part you wouldn't be transferring to a different unit/post unless it was a civilian move (ie: no pcs/pca orders) where you lose a guy you got close to because even if he got out he'd more than likely still be in the area. Some if the best friends I ever made were in the military and now we're spread out all over the country so I can't call one of then up and say hey let's go to the range this weekend and what not. I honestly think the hardest thing for me would be the uniform change lol, I hold the Marine uniforms in very high regard and (no offense to the Soldiers here) I've beer been to impressed with the Army uniforms.

I have looked into the TX State Guard when I was still active duty, specifically their maritime force (not sure if that's the proper identification) because I would be able to still wear my Marine cammies and rank but with a TXSG name tape. However I saw some of those guys doing security or something at one of the local festivals and was highly unimpressed. A bunch of old fat dudes who had a militia feel to them walking around in sloppy uniforms uncovered. I'm not saying they're all like that just what I've seen, combine that with the fact that they're not an armed force and primarily humanitarian based gives me a peace corps kinda feel. I could be completely mistaken on that but like I said there's a lot of research I need to do.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think the Baptist Disaster Relief group should combine with the Texas State Guard.

You have local TGT guys in Corpus? We have a pretty good group in ATX including several veterans so thats been cool to get to know them and hear where they were and what they did.

VFW? Legion? Just curious if you can find what you are looking for without having to be mobilized or deploys again. That could be part of what you want though. I dont know.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It was my understanding that TSG only did disaster relief type operations. I wasn't aware of any type of security services they provide.

In inclined to think it was a different group, but I was wrong once before.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I think the Baptist Disaster Relief group should combine with the Texas State Guard.

You have local TGT guys in Corpus? We have a pretty good group in ATX including several veterans so thats been cool to get to know them and hear where they were and what they did.

VFW? Legion? Just curious if you can find what you are looking for without having to be mobilized or deploys again. That could be part of what you want though. I dont know.

There are a decent amount of TGT guys in this area and we're finally getting to the point where we're planning regular meet ups and what not. That's the biggest thing I miss about moving away from San Antonio is there were a lot of us out there and we could all argue online but would still meet up for breakfast then a gun show. As far as the VFW without typing up a page long explanation they really don't seem interested in bringing in new blood just the new money. I have looked into the American Legion and could end up going that route but fact of the matter is this is a retirement area so the majority of the vets I know/associate with are a lot older (Vietnam era and the like). While there's nothing wrong with that you know as well as I do that me being 26 those aren't the guys I'm gonna call up and say hey come have some beers and BBQ at my place this weekend.

It was my understanding that TSG only did disaster relief type operations. I wasn't aware of any type of security services they provide.

In inclined to think it was a different group, but I was wrong once before.

That was my initial thought as well and at first I thought they might have been reserves or national guard until I got close enough to see state guard name tapes. I honestly have no clue what they were doing other than the fact that there were a few of them and they had radios on.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Just read through most of this, and can honestly say I know what you mean about missing the camaraderie and such. As most Vets. do. Have you thought about going down to see the local Texas Vet rep. and see if he can't give you some insight into cross-service duty? Or maybe even talking to a D.A.V. rep. as they might have some different insights to a different, yet, same, plan.

Last edited:

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    How about we all join the Texas State Guard (not National Guard) together and form a TGT unit?Home - Texas State Guard
    My experience with the 436th Air Support Group of the TxSG was less than satisfying. When I moved to the U.S. I wanted to serve my new country just as I served my old country but I was too old for the National Guard, but not the TxSg. Soon after I joined the 436th ASG we were kicked off NASJRB Carswell because some of our officers and enlisted men would walk around the base like they owned it, demanding to be saluted by everybody, expecting to be able to buy from the BX, walking down the flightline etc.etc. Then Lt.Cmdr Smyers, now Capt.(Rt'd) had enough of the complaints and kicked our unit off his base. We found a new home in Grand Prairie with the 2 - 149th General Support Aviation Battalion and in order to ingratiate ourselves to our new "masters" our leaders would volunteer us for any and all dirty jobs at the base: slopping chow, KP, cleaning latrines...whatever. In between the fun jobs we were supposed to take dozens of FEMA online courses on Shelter Management, which is our Unit's main job in time of disaster. About half our unit's Officers had never served before and thusly hadn't experienced or learned how to effectively manage men and had never been instilled with military tradition. Our CO was a very short man with a huge ego who demanded to be saluted wherever we were: indoors with no cover, on the flightline, everywhere. He actually drove a Dodge Magnum with a push bar, emergency lights hidden behind the grill, and "To Serve and Protect" painted on the sides! Our unit had no equipment of it's own....and I mean none, paperwork got lost all the time resulting in my missing my BNOC course at Lackland in order to get my promotion to E6. Eventually, all the enlisted men with prior service got sick and tired of the B.S. and quit. This was my experience with one TxSG unit and I'm not saying every unit is the same, just check any unit out carefully before joining.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    How about the Combat Vets Association? Ive been seeing them around with their vests on. Younger guys too.
    I'm a lifetime associate member of the Vietnam Veteran's of America. It's a great group of guys who are very active in our community with charitable work, supporting other vets, and other patriotic organizations. Yes, I'm not a Vietnam war vet, but the boys appreciate the fact that others respect and support them and I highly recommend those of you looking for a group to associate with consider the V.V.A.

Top Bottom