Residents w/ out-of-state permits?

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by timetoshrug, Feb 26, 2009.

1. timetoshrug

timetoshrug New Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Hi all,

I'm brand-new to the forum. I am moving to Texas in several months from California (for obvious reasons). My question is this: I currently hold both California and Arizona CCW permits, both of which Texas recognizes. After I move and establish residency, do I still need to get a Texas CHL? Or can I carry as a Texas resident with the AZ/CA permits?

I can't seem to find a straight answer on this anywhere so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Morgan

Morgan Member

Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    You don't "need" to get a TX CHL. However, your status is at the whim of reciprocity. If anything happened and TX withdrew reciprocity, you'd lose your CHL and you might not even notice. I doubt that's likely, especially with the AZ. But what I'd recommend is if you're planning on being a permanent TX resident, when your other permit is about a year from expiring, get a TX permit. You want to familiarize yourself with TX CHL laws, they're pretty different than CA from what I understand, but probably failry similiar to AZ.

3. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I moved here from Phoenix in APR 08. I called TXDPS to find out if my permit was still good here, even though I am a Texas resident. They said due to reciprocity, I can carry on my AZ CCW until it expires.

You are good to go with the AZ one.

4. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Yep, you're good. If you're going to be here a while, I'd consider getting your Texas CHL just to avoid confusion. While it shouldn't be a problem, it's not unlikely that you'll run across an officer who isn't clear on the law; you'll be inconvenienced while the matter is straightened out.

5. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Yup, you're good, as the guys have said.

I am in your shoes right now. I carry a WA permit right now. My thoughts was that I needed to get the CHL as soon as I could in TX 1) to cover the WA permit upon expiration and 2) because there is a wait for DPS processing, the sooner the better. And I have. Within 2wks of getting here I got in to a class and got my paperwork in.

What you'll need to be concerned about when the time comes to apply for your CHL, your driver's license and CHL address must match. So, just a little fyi before hand to get your DL changed then get the CHL. :texas:

6. biglucky

biglucky Well-Known TGT Supporter

Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I am going to be Captain Obvious here but make sure you get your address updated to show your Texas address on those existing CHL's.

7. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    Did it the second week I was here.

8. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    As Texas law requires you to show your CHL if you are stopped by a police officer while in possession of your concealed weapon, a mismatch between your out-of-state CHL and your TX DL will inevitably cause concern for the officer.

9. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

Probably, but what kind of concern?

But in any traffic stop, courtesy and attitude will matter.

Show the LEO your DL, permits and insurance. He'll likely ask where you were going or some kind of inquiry about carry - tell him the truth. There's no problem there :gotme:

Probably the best and easiest thing to do is to not violate any traffic laws so that you don't get pulled over in the first place :tongueout:

10. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    Maybe so, but TXDPS says it's OK, so we are more than covered. I have until DEC 2010, I have to get my money's worth out of it.