• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Exactly what I was going to say. I'm certain NC requires you keep your address on your license current. If they're like Texas, failure to do so can result in a suspension of your license. You might want to check with them and change the address on your license, or you could find yourself with a suspended, or otherwise invalid NC carry permit, AND charged with UCW.

So to add my current address, here in Round Rock, to my CCL from NC?

That might be a long shot...I will give it a try since my CCL is good through Jan 2013...
    Capitol Armory ad

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Well, looks like in order to change the address on my CCL, I would have to go into the Sheriff's office back in NC to change the address in person..Now that sucks...LOL

I need to contact the local office here in Texas to find out if my CCL from NC is indeed honored here now that I am a Texas resident with a TX DL, and the fact that my CCL still has my old NC address on it.....

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Well, looks like in order to change the address on my CCL, I would have to go into the Sheriff's office back in NC to change the address in person..Now that sucks...LOL

I need to contact the local office here in Texas to find out if my CCL from NC is indeed honored here now that I am a Texas resident with a TX DL, and the fact that my CCL still has my old NC address on it.....

Your VALID NC license is honored here is Texas. The only question is whether or not it remains valid after you have moved. Only NC can answer that. [url]http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/public_information/pr050604.htm[/URL]

If you decide to contact Texas you should call the CHL division in Austin.

(512) 424-2000

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Your VALID NC license is honored here is Texas. The only question is whether or not it remains valid after you have moved. Only NC can answer that. [URL="http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/public_information/pr050604.htm"][url]http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/public_information/pr050604.htm[/URL][/URL]

If you decide to contact Texas you should call the CHL division in Austin.

(512) 424-2000

Good news!! Just spoke with XXXXXXX over at the Texas Dept of Public Safety, CHL div....I was told that my NC CCP is valid until it expires in Texas, even though I am a current Texas Resident, and currently hold a Texas DL....That rocks!

So I am going to print that page, and write that phone number on it, and carry that with me at all times, just in case one of the Leo's is not current on the laws that they uphold...:patriot:

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Good news!! Just spoke with XXXXXXX over at the Texas Dept of Public Safety, CHL div....I was told that my NC CCP is valid until it expires in Texas, even though I am a current Texas Resident, and currently hold a Texas DL....That rocks!

So I am going to print that page, and write that phone number on it, and carry that with me at all times, just in case one of the Leo's is not current on the laws that they uphold...:patriot:

That's what tx told you as well. If it's valid in NC, then it's valid here. So you need to find out from NC whether it's still valid in NC since you've moved. Like Texas, they may have a window of time in which you have to have your address changed. And they may or may not consider it valid if you're no longer a NC resident. Just need to confirm with NC to be sure.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Randman, regardless of what TX DPS says, your NC permit is only valid as long as you don't meet certain requirements that disqualify you.

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Looking through, and I won't quote line by line as its tedious (I've
    already tried twice!) your NC permit stays valid until it expires as you've met the criteria upon application. Or you disqualify yourself through criminal activity within the 5yr permit period. WA is very very similar from all I've read through to be as certain as I can be for my own application.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. If you have trouble it certainly is not a defense to say 'Shorts posted on TGT that it was ok' It's my understanding that if my permit is going to be challenged, it will be and it will be up to my lawyer and myself to handle it through the system if it does. That's just what I am accepting. The LEO on scene is not going to be who I argue my case to ;)

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I too called DPS today and verified that my Florida permit was in fact good here in Texas as long as Florida recognizes a non-resident, which they do. I also sent a letter and payment to have my license reflect my Texas address.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    That's what tx told you as well. If it's valid in NC, then it's valid here. So you need to find out from NC whether it's still valid in NC since you've moved. Like Texas, they may have a window of time in which you have to have your address changed. And they may or may not consider it valid if you're no longer a NC resident. Just need to confirm with NC to be sure.

I don't want to ask:(...LOL...Why wouldn't it be valid? Can't change the fact that I passed there course, passed there back ground check, and was finger printed...

Crap...guess I'll make that call tomorrow...:banghead:

There needs to be a Federal Permit...One Nation and all that jazz!

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I too called DPS today and verified that my Florida permit was in fact good here in Texas as long as Florida recognizes a non-resident, which they do. I also sent a letter and payment to have my license reflect my Texas address.

Don't know if that is possible for me, as they want me to come into the office to change it...Not worth a flight back there to do it..

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Randman, regardless of what TX DPS says, your NC permit is only valid as long as you don't meet certain requirements that disqualify you.

[url]http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf[/URL]

already tried twice!) your NC permit stays valid until it expires as you've met the criteria upon application. Or you disqualify yourself through criminal activity within the 5yr permit period. WA is very very similar from all I've read through to be as certain as I can be for my own application.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. If you have trouble it certainly is not a defense to say 'Shorts posted on TGT that it was ok' It's my understanding that if my permit is going to be challenged, it will be and it will be up to my lawyer and myself to handle it through the system if it does. That's just what I am accepting. The LEO on scene is not going to be who I argue my case to ;)

But your Honor...Shorts said it was fine....you know, Shorts...I thought everyone knew Shorts....OH SH1TTTTTTT....
    Nope, don't want that scenario to happen...

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX

[url]http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf[/URL]

Well, this may do me in...

Any individual who has been issued a valid permit must notify the issuing sheriff of any
    permanent change of address within thirty (30) days. If the permit is lost or destroyed,
    he/she must notify the issuing sheriff of such loss. The permittee is then eligible to obtain
    a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff, a notarized statement that the permit was
    lost or destroyed and by paying the required duplicate permit fee. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-​
    415.11(d)

Of course since I still own the home in NC I might be able to get around that...dunno...guess I'll contact them tomorrow and see...

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Well, this may do me in...

Any individual who has been issued a valid permit must notify the issuing sheriff of any
    permanent change of address within thirty (30) days. If the permit is lost or destroyed,
    he/she must notify the issuing sheriff of such loss. The permittee is then eligible to obtain
    a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff, a notarized statement that the permit was
    lost or destroyed and by paying the required duplicate permit fee. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-​
    415.11(d)

Of course since I still own the home in NC I might be able to get around that...dunno...guess I'll contact them tomorrow and see...

It doesn't give the consequence of not reporting an address change. It merely states you must inform.

As to what will actually be the consequence of reporting the change, well.....

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Wow, this is more complicated than it should be...I spoke with the sheriff's office of my previous county in NC...they will not change the address on my carry permit as I am no longer a resident of that state...However, since the Dept of public safety in Texas says they will honor the out of state permit until it expires, I should be fine...I am also gonna carry a printed copy of the recipical list in my wallet...to CMA

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    It doesn't give the consequence of not reporting an address change. It merely states you must inform.

As to what will actually be the consequence of reporting the change, well.....

Well, I informed them via email...and they responded, so I have that if it ever becomes an issue...

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Wow, this is more complicated than it should be...I spoke with the sheriff's office of my previous county in NC...they will not change the address on my carry permit as I am no longer a resident of that state...However, since the Dept of public safety in Texas says they will honor the out of state permit until it expires, I should be fine...I am also gonna carry a printed copy of the recipical list in my wallet...to CMA

Although NC said they would not change it, did they say whether or not the permit is valid through its expiration date?

At this point that's the ultimate answer (that will matter in court if things go bad).

You tried to figure it out

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Although NC said they would not change it, did they say whether or not the permit is valid through its expiration date?

At this point that's the ultimate answer (that will matter in court if things go bad).

You tried to figure it out

According to the Sheriff in Cabarrus county NC, if the address on the permit does not match the address on the DL, then the permit is not valid...As far as they are concerned...

So why would Texas tell me that it is valid even though it was issued in NC, and I told them I now have a TX DL? Makes no sense to me...

Just because it is not valid in NC, does not mean that Texas won't recognize it....So, the question is still somewhat unanswered...

I think I will break down and get a Texas Carry Permit...I don't plan on leave this great state ever again! made that mistake once...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    According to the Sheriff in Cabarrus county NC, if the address on the permit does not match the address on the DL, then the permit is not valid...As far as they are concerned...

So why would Texas tell me that it is valid even though it was issued in NC, and I told them I now have a TX DL? Makes no sense to me...
    Because DPS did not have the information your Sheriff gave you, did they?

Just because it is not valid in NC, does not mean that Texas won't recognize it....
    To the contrary, it means exactly that. Texas does not recognize non-valid licenses. To do so would be absurd.
    So, the question is still somewhat unanswered...
    To an objective third person, it is clearly answered.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    It doesn't really matter what the sheriff or DPS tells you. What matters is what the officer believes when you get stopped. A gentleman in my class this weekend told me he was stopped with his Texas DL and valid Florida carry permit. The officer was unsure about how to handle the situation, insisted (incorrectly) that the citizen must have a Texas CHL if he has a Texas DL, so the man spent the next hour handcuffed in the back of the police car while the officer and his supervisor figured it out. He was eventually released, but the moral to the story is GET YOUR TEXAS CHL just to avoid confusion.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It doesn't really matter what the sheriff or DPS tells you. What matters is what the officer believes when you get stopped. A gentleman in my class this weekend told me he was stopped with his Texas DL and valid Florida carry permit. The officer was unsure about how to handle the situation, insisted (incorrectly) that the citizen must have a Texas CHL if he has a Texas DL, so the man spent the next hour handcuffed in the back of the police car while the officer and his supervisor figured it out. He was eventually released, but the moral to the story is GET YOUR TEXAS CHL just to avoid confusion.

There is a much larger problem if this happened AFTER Sept 2007, when a CHL is not needed to carry in your car.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    There is a much larger problem if this happened AFTER Sept 2007, when a CHL is not needed to carry in your car.

Absolutely, and we discussed that. He's been in Texas for less than a year.

Nothing against law enforcement, but I've heard stories from students and former students about encounters with officers who are unclear on the PC 46.02, requirement to display and other firearm/CHL statutes. Of course, I don't have all the information on the encounters, but I do have the benefit of first hand conversations with officers who believe a CHL holder must display even if he/she is not carrying.

There's some confusion somewhere. I don't know if it's a lack of training, the complexity of the penal code, or a citizen who simply failed the attitude test.

I tell my students to ALWAYS display, and the Motorist Protection Act is not are replacement for the CHL.

Top Bottom