• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timetoshrug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Hi all,

I'm brand-new to the forum. I am moving to Texas in several months from California (for obvious reasons). My question is this: I currently hold both California and Arizona CCW permits, both of which Texas recognizes. After I move and establish residency, do I still need to get a Texas CHL? Or can I carry as a Texas resident with the AZ/CA permits?

I can't seem to find a straight answer on this anywhere so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Lynx Defense

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    You don't "need" to get a TX CHL. However, your status is at the whim of reciprocity. If anything happened and TX withdrew reciprocity, you'd lose your CHL and you might not even notice. I doubt that's likely, especially with the AZ. But what I'd recommend is if you're planning on being a permanent TX resident, when your other permit is about a year from expiring, get a TX permit. You want to familiarize yourself with TX CHL laws, they're pretty different than CA from what I understand, but probably failry similiar to AZ.

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I moved here from Phoenix in APR 08. I called TXDPS to find out if my permit was still good here, even though I am a Texas resident. They said due to reciprocity, I can carry on my AZ CCW until it expires.

You are good to go with the AZ one.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Yep, you're good. If you're going to be here a while, I'd consider getting your Texas CHL just to avoid confusion. While it shouldn't be a problem, it's not unlikely that you'll run across an officer who isn't clear on the law; you'll be inconvenienced while the matter is straightened out.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Yup, you're good, as the guys have said.

I am in your shoes right now. I carry a WA permit right now. My thoughts was that I needed to get the CHL as soon as I could in TX 1) to cover the WA permit upon expiration and 2) because there is a wait for DPS processing, the sooner the better. And I have. Within 2wks of getting here I got in to a class and got my paperwork in.

What you'll need to be concerned about when the time comes to apply for your CHL, your driver's license and CHL address must match. So, just a little fyi before hand to get your DL changed then get the CHL.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    As Texas law requires you to show your CHL if you are stopped by a police officer while in possession of your concealed weapon, a mismatch between your out-of-state CHL and your TX DL will inevitably cause concern for the officer.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    As Texas law requires you to show your CHL if you are stopped by a police officer while in possession of your concealed weapon, a mismatch between your out-of-state CHL and your TX DL will inevitably cause concern for the officer.

Probably, but what kind of concern?

But in any traffic stop, courtesy and attitude will matter.

Show the LEO your DL, permits and insurance. He'll likely ask where you were going or some kind of inquiry about carry - tell him the truth. There's no problem there

Probably the best and easiest thing to do is to not violate any traffic laws so that you don't get pulled over in the first place

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville

Maybe so, but TXDPS says it's OK, so we are more than covered. I have until DEC 2010, I have to get my money's worth out of it.

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    Absolutely... Sometime early next year, I'd just consider staring the process... don't wait until fall. Do it in late spring or summer, then you won't be sitting on pins and needles hoping your TX permit gets done before your AZ expires.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    To Shorts and Vellcrow, I agree that there is nothing inherently wrong, no laws broken, etc. I just liken it to an officer who sees one address on a driver's license, and another address on your insurance card. You're going to get extra questions, and yes, politeness and courtesy should always be exercised. You got cops still telling people they can't carry concealed in their vehicles with a CHL...you can't convince me there aren't cops out there that will get a little excited over mismatched addresses on CHLs and DLs.

Anyway, I was just offering my opinion. I tend to err on the side of overly-cautious. If it were me, I'd suck up the extra/wasted cost and get my TX CHL taken care of as soon as I got here. But that's just me. ;)

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    To Shorts and Vellcrow, I agree that there is nothing inherently wrong, no laws broken, etc. I just liken it to an officer who sees one address on a driver's license, and another address on your insurance card. You're going to get extra questions, and yes, politeness and courtesy should always be exercised. You got cops still telling people they can't carry concealed in their vehicles with a CHL...you can't convince me there aren't cops out there that will get a little excited over mismatched addresses on CHLs and DLs.

Anyway, I was just offering my opinion. I tend to err on the side of overly-cautious. If it were me, I'd suck up the extra/wasted cost and get my TX CHL taken care of as soon as I got here. But that's just me. ;)

I do agree with you on the extra questions and hassle from the police. But since I am within the law, I'll beat the charge if one came up.

Don't worry, the state will get their tribute in due time. I will be getting everything I need way early since Texas is so damn slow in allowing us our rights.

timetoshrug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Thank you for all the replies. Sounds like I'll be okay with my AZ permit until I get around to getting the TX CHL. (Since CA doesn't do non-resident, that will become void as soon as I move.)

AZ no longer requires training for renewal so I can renew that permit indefinitely simply by mailing in a form. So I should be good to go with my AZ permit until I'm issued a TX CHL.

Thanks again, and I'm VERY excited to escape the People's Republic of Kalifornia in favor of TEXAS!!!!!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

I hear ya. Erring on the side of caution has probably saved my hide more than a few times this far

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I think you guys are overlooking one core element.

If you are pulled over in the state of Texas with a handgun in the car (concealed) then you do not have to have a CHL. The CHL in this instance would not need to be valid.

Now if you were pulled aside in a store, then you need to have your ducks in a row.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    ...you can't convince me there aren't cops out there that will get a little excited over mismatched addresses on CHLs and DLs.

. ;)[/quote]

The most that could happen would be a citation for Fail to change address on the DL. A wrong address on a CHL is not an offense. It is administrative through the CHL division.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    OK, so, I hope this does not come off "Dumb as Dirt" but......If I moved here from NC, and I have a NC CCL....then I get a TX DL with current address listed on it....Am I allowed to carry with my NC CCL?? and yes there is a reciprocity with NC...

I mean what about the fact that on the NC CCL it has listed my NC Address?

Interesting....and here I was thinking I couldn't carry due to the fact that I don't have a TX CCL....

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    OK, so, I hope this does not come off "Dumb as Dirt" but......If I moved here from NC, and I have a NC CCL....then I get a TX DL with current address listed on it....Am I allowed to carry with my NC CCL?? and yes there is a reciprocity with NC...

I mean what about the fact that on the NC CCL it has listed my NC Address?

Interesting....and here I was thinking I couldn't carry due to the fact that I don't have a TX CCL....

Your NC license must be valid to be accepted in Texas. Is there a procedure for changing your address on you NC license?

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Your NC license must be valid to be accepted in Texas. Is there a procedure for changing your address on you NC license?

Exactly what I was going to say. I'm certain NC requires you keep your address on your license current. If they're like Texas, failure to do so can result in a suspension of your license. You might want to check with them and change the address on your license, or you could find yourself with a suspended, or otherwise invalid NC carry permit, AND charged with UCW.

Top Bottom