• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dane421

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    DFW
    reloading 308 federal case Sierra MK bullet

Is it ok to full length resize after seating a bullet?

I am having a problem chambering rounds after I seat my bullets. Brass chambers fine before (so I think it is sized correctly) but sometimes after I seat my bullet it is very difficult to chamber the round.

Am I moving my shoulder when seating the bullet?
    Gun Zone Deals

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Check that you aren't seating the rounds too far and crushing the top of the case. Measure the seating area diameter after you seat.

Is this a bolt gun or a semi-auto?

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    Take a fired case and neck size only, then insert a bullet into the case and load in the rifle. Extract the dummy loaded round and measure the OAL of the round. Then with a no powder sized case seat a bullet at that depth and try it.

Some rifles have a shorter lead on the rifling than others.

DRJ

dane421

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    DFW
    Is it ok to full length resize after seating a bullet I would like to know if this can be done before I take aparts the rounds that I am having a problem with

The problem has something to do with the shoulder of the brass after I seat the bullet.

I am seating my bullets to correct oal after following the instructions above with a dummy case. This is a bolt action rifle with a custom chamber

My chamber
    .60 lead
    .342 neck

DSC01307.jpg

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Before you pull stuff apart, you might want to get a full length case gauge and check the overall specs on what you loaded. They are not perfect, but I find, if it will fit in a Wilson, Dillon or Lyman gauge, the round is probably good to go. They've saved me lots of time since I load for an M1 and AR. If you've moved the shoulder or crushed it slightly, it will show up immediately when you drop the completed round in the gauge.

If you've crushed the shoulder, you could run the rounds back through the resizer to try and smooth it out. If you've pushed the shoulder back, there isn't anything that's going to fix that.

dane421

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    DFW
    Ok I full length resized one of the rounds and it fit like a glove in the chamber now. I would imagine that after doing this I probably deformed the bullet at the boat tail where it contacts the shoulder inside the case. To shoot or not to shoot is the question.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Ok I full length resized one of the rounds and it fit like a glove in the chamber now. I would imagine that after doing this I probably deformed the bullet at the boat tail where it contacts the shoulder inside the case. To shoot or not to shoot is the question.

Doubtful. If you pulled the bullet, it would probably look okay. Shoot it.

Your original problem probably happened because you crimped down too hard when you were seating the bullet, which caused the shoulder to crush just a little. By running it through the sizing die, you removed the crush and brought the cartridge dimensions back to spec. None of those things are going to deform the bullet, which is structurally, the hardest part of a cartridge. Next time, friction seat the bullet, rather than trying to add some kind of factory crimp.

dane421

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    DFW
    Back from the range accuracy was not there but it was windy. I think you are right bullseye I will set my die back alittle. I had been seating much longer bullets and I quess with these I am getting into the crip part of the die.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom