resizing a stock

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by DCortez, Mar 22, 2009.

1. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Was out looking at shotguns and didn't find anything that was a "great" fit. All were a tad too short, too long, or pink. Just kidding about the pink ... Anyway, I don't want to play musical stocks or rule out a good gun just because of the stock.

So, I'm assuming stocks can be shaved/adjusted along with the recoil pad. Any idea what it would cost for wood or syn stocks?

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It'd be easier on a stock that is too short, you could use a spacer system. Too long involves cutting.

3. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Cutting down a stock that's too long is not hard but finding a butt piece to fit correctly is the real problem.
    I have cut a few down in my day on scoped rifles and the fit was great but never did I find a butt plate that fit cleanly. I always had to file, sand or whatever to make the plate fit.
    But the up side is I had a rifle I could see down the scope without any searching for the "Full sight picture" in the scope.

4. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Asked the guy at Gander Mountain. Said it could be done for $100 bucks, give or take. Not sure if he does quality work or not.