Join TexasGunTalk

Response to Property Burglary

Discussion in 'Stolen Property & Criminality' started by Taildragger-J3, Oct 25, 2017.

1. candcallen

candcallen Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Damaging property that isn't yours and in no way a reasonable person would think they had a right to damage. Basically vandalism.

Slashing tires, breaking Windows etc. Egging houses and TP-ing with crape paper where the ink permanently damages paint can be charged as criminal mischief.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. Davetex

Davetex TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 27, 2010
    Pflugerville
    Thanks

3. Lunyfringe

Lunyfringe Well-Known

Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    At the same time, killing them takes a piece of your life... you can be a tough guy and say it won't bother you a bit, but there is a word for people that are truly like that- psychotic. It's human nature to second guess whether you needed to take their life.
    You will have to take time to sit on a grand jury while they decide whether to indict you, while you pay a lawyer with your hard-earned money. Those costs go way up if there is a trial.

None of this is intended to defend what the thief does, or to get sympathy for him... it's just a realistic view of the world we live in today.

4. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It must be nice to have passive income and/or old money. Personally I have to trade large chunks of my life for "stuff", so yeah "stuff" is worth my life at least.

5. TheDan

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yeah, at an individual level that really sucks. What's the cost to your kids, grand-kids, and extended family when criminals know there's little to no consequences to their actions?

6. Lunyfringe

Lunyfringe Well-Known

Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Who said there would be never be any consequences to the thief? Jail for them is a consequence that doesn't put me before a grand jury... if you have taken steps (like cameras) to secure your property, they are more likely to be caught.
    I just choose to have my eyes open to the consequences of my actions... if I believe lives are or will be in danger, I'll take appropriate action. But it's your life... you make your own choices. I just hope I'm not reading about your trial when you do.

I seriously doubt the future of this nation will be decided based on one thief's continued consumption of oxygen, there are much bigger battles to fight.

7. TheDan

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Most criminals are born into abusive, authoritarian families. Going to prison for 9mo is like a family reunion for them. Recidivism rates prove that it's not a deterrent.

Most importantly prison does absolutely nothing to make victims whole. If criminals were forced to pay restitution to the actual victims then it would make a better case for catching them instead of stopping them during the commission of their crime.

8. Lunyfringe

Lunyfringe Well-Known

Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    All I'm saying is shooting them won't make you whole, either... life isn't fair.

It's unlikely that they have any assets for restitution, and if recidivism rate is as you state then you'd likely be receiving stolen property or money from crimes as restitution if you got anything at all.

I still don't want to face a trial for killing someone over stuff... I take measures that hopefully (and so far has) deters them, and they move on to something (or someone) easier. If I caught them in the act, I'd do what I can to stop and/or detain them... if lives are threatened, then deadly force is authorized.

9. diesel1959

diesel1959 por vida Lifetime Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    It's not about making yourself whole . . . it's about KEEPING yourself whole and preventing someone else from divesting yourself of part of that.

10. Lunyfringe

Lunyfringe Well-Known

Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    The lawyer you need to hire for your trial on a bad shoot will divest you of plenty...