• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    All I'm saying is shooting them won't make you whole, either... life isn't fair.

It's unlikely that they have any assets for restitution, and if recidivism rate is as you state then you'd likely be receiving stolen property or money from crimes as restitution if you got anything at all.

I still don't want to face a trial for killing someone over stuff... I take measures that hopefully (and so far has) deters them, and they move on to something (or someone) easier. If I caught them in the act, I'd do what I can to stop and/or detain them... if lives are threatened, then deadly force is authorized.

If you want to make the argument that your stuff isn't worth the possible legal costs that's fine. But arguing whether it is worth a life is a decision made by the thief.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    To bring it back around to a few pages ago...

If cost if items he's getting away with is significantly less than legal costs of defending why you shot an unarmed man in the back, then is it worth it?

The question a few pages ago was whether the stuff was worth a life. The answer is in the above post.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    While the use of deadly force to protect property or criminal mischief during the night is lawful you must weigh the property against the cost of the use. Say you loose your nice 20v dewalt tool set plus your big rolling tool box and a couple power tools. The cost might be $5,000 or so. That sounds like a lot. In Texas if you lawfully shoot someone you must go before a grand jury. A “slam dunk” trial is about $10,000-15,000.

When it comes to the life of my family a $15,000 bill from a lawyer is nothing. Otherwise I have nothing in my garage worth the headache of dealing with lawyers.

Why not spend a few hundred reenforcing your garage to make it more criminal resistant. Lights, siren, pin the doors or add electric doors. That’s cheap.
    This is the post I was remembering...

Maybe I remembered back too far.
    I'll agree that anyone breaking into someone else's property is risking their life... if my Neo Mastiff and 2 Daniffs get ahold of them first, they may even ask me put them out of their misery.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sadly, there's also a chance you'll be sued and a good chance your dogs will be killed.

I say that with disgust.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Sadly, there's also a chance you'll be sued and a good chance your dogs will be killed.

I say that with disgust.
    Agreed, on all counts...
    So if my dogs' lives are in danger, I consider that their next step will be to come after me- so deadly force. (Also one of the reasons my go-to gun is an AR rather than a shotgun... don't want to hit them on accident)

I'll be really sad if something happened to them, but I know that they would gladly give their lives for ours- which is why they're so awesome.

Taildragger-J3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Aggieland, Texas
    I DON'T really want to shoot ANYONE over anything. Even take a shot at someone who is threatening bodily harm if I can find another solution. It is however extremely frustrating to look at the official FBI record for the "closure" rate for property crime and burglary in our fair community (see attached graph)

I have deep respect for our police officers. I have a near family member who serves. I AM NOT "throwing rocks" at them. I understand that clearing violent crimes is a far higher priority than worrying about getting back the "stuff" we've been talking about.

It just seems that a person who decides to take my stuff has about a 75-90% chance of getting away with it completely, and those who do get caught don't seem to have to bear much of a penalty for doing it.

Maybe it's been like this for a long time & I have just been living in blissful isolation from the truth, but it seems that these kinds of property crimes & burglary are exploding and there doesn't seem to be anything that the average citizen can do about it.

My 2 cents.

Capture.JPG

Top Bottom