Patriot Mobile

restuarants/things to do in San Antonio?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • filmtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    San Antonio area
    i would NOT eat Mexican food ON the riverwalk - unless it was at Casa Rio - all the rest suck in my opinion

you're better off walking to El Mercado (spanish for The Market) -and eating at Mi Tiera or La Margarita (they are next to each other and owned by the same company)

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Casa Rio either. Your suggestion about Mi Tierra or La Margarita is a good one. I forgot about La Margarita- been a long time. It's a great place for sure.
    Hurley's Gold

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of Casa Rio either. Your suggestion about Mi Tierra or La Margarita is a good one. I forgot about La Margarita- been a long time. It's a great place for sure.

i personally wouldnt eat mexican on the RW but if i had to entertain out of town guests and thats what they wanted, then thats the only place i'd go

there are some really good places scattered all over san antonio that arent on the RW or downtown......but for the life of me i cant remember them by name without getting out the googles.....i lived there for 5 years but left in 2004

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The Alamo is certainly my favorite among the local missions (and standing with my kids while reading the words "Victory or Death" on the actual Travis Letter this year was surreal).

If the rain lets up, the other missions are pretty cool pieces of history to do a nice walking tour.

http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/st-plains/images/he15.html

I thought other missions were closed due to government shut down?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk now Free

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Durty Nelly's !

inside-durty-nellys.jpg

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    i personally wouldnt eat mexican on the RW but if i had to entertain out of town guests and thats what they wanted, then thats the only place i'd go

there are some really good places scattered all over san antonio that arent on the RW or downtown......but for the life of me i cant remember them by name without getting out the googles.....i lived there for 5 years but left in 2004
    Like most ethnic foods there are 2 kinds: _____________ American and the real deal. Sadly many people of ethnic background want to open a eatery and they make the food for the PERCEIVED American taste. While finding Greek, Chinese etc is not easy here is a trick to find great Mexican food anywhere in the US.

I traveled a lot, as in every week, 52 weeks a year taking me all over the US. Being a Texas boy and growing up in South San Antonio I grew up eating Mexican long before it cool. Not a city of any size in the US today does not have a strong Mexican population and most TV networks know this as a result there are usually several Spanish speaking TV stations. I would turn one on as I sat at my desk in my Holiday Hotel doing paperwork and watch out of the corner of my eye for the commercial breaks...yes you will find Local Mexican eateries advertising on TV. Usually showing plates of food, giving the name and address on screen. Write it down and grab your map. I have done this from Seattle to Atlanta and never had anything except a winner...NOTE: Few places to avoid, like Miami with its overwhelming Cuban population. What they eat is 180 out from what Mexicans eat. Cubans thank salt and pepper is spicy food...take a pass on Cuban chow.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i think you're over thinking it personally......."authentic" is so over blown and rated now days

its just tex mex - a night out - a cheap meal, eat it, go home and poop it out later

La Fogata is a good one that isnt on the RW

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Like most ethnic foods there are 2 kinds: _____________ American and the real deal. Sadly many people of ethnic background want to open a eatery and they make the food for the PERCEIVED American taste. While finding Greek, Chinese etc is not easy here is a trick to find great Mexican food anywhere in the US.

I traveled a lot, as in every week, 52 weeks a year taking me all over the US. Being a Texas boy and growing up in South San Antonio I grew up eating Mexican long before it cool. Not a city of any size in the US today does not have a strong Mexican population and most TV networks know this as a result there are usually several Spanish speaking TV stations. I would turn one on as I sat at my desk in my Holiday Hotel doing paperwork and watch out of the corner of my eye for the commercial breaks...yes you will find Local Mexican eateries advertising on TV. Usually showing plates of food, giving the name and address on screen. Write it down and grab your map. I have done this from Seattle to Atlanta and never had anything except a winner...NOTE: Few places to avoid, like Miami with its overwhelming Cuban population. What they eat is 180 out from what Mexicans eat. Cubans thank salt and pepper is spicy food...take a pass on Cuban chow.

Excellent advice!

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    sadly the BEST burger place in SA closed back in 2002 - Little Hipps - a dive joint that had a long line out the door everyday

apparently the owner got old and ill - and despite numerous offers from perspective buyers to buy it and keep it going - the owner wanted nothing of it and shut the doors

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Mexican food up here sucks lol. If your from the border you know what I am talking about. Most places use cheddar for everything, which is just wrong for mexican food, plus they never season the meat correctly. Never thought I would miss something about the Rio Grande Valley.

If your looking for a really nice dinner, don't go to Chris Ruth's. Also if your feeling a bit adventurous and don't mind a 30-45min drive. You can drive north into Boerne and go check out Cave Without a Name. If you go, tell them Trevor sent ya! While your out there, you can drive North a little longer and make your way up to Fredericksburg and do some shopping and have a nice lunch.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Mexican food up here sucks lol. If your from the border you know what I am talking about. Most places use cheddar for everything, which is just wrong for mexican food, plus they never season the meat correctly. Never thought I would miss something about the Rio Grande Valley.

If your looking for a really nice dinner, don't go to Chris Ruth's. Also if your feeling a bit adventurous and don't mind a 30-45min drive. You can drive north into Boerne and go check out Cave Without a Name. If you go, tell them Trevor sent ya! While your out there, you can drive North a little longer and make your way up to Fredericksburg and do some shopping and have a nice lunch.

Wife took me on my B day and we BOTH got sick from the food...

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Funny that I lived in San Antonio until I turned 20 and joined the Army. In 20 years I can count the amount of times I went to the river walk on one hand. Every time I mention that I'm from SA people always talk about the river walk and the Alamo. More of tourist thing then for people who live there lol. As far as Mexican food though, I was always a fan of Los Barrios on Blanco Rd. and El Chaparral in Helotes.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

I thought Rosario's on Alamo was pretty good. Very different than the standard Riverwalk joint.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    sadly the BEST burger place in SA closed back in 2002 - Little Hipps - a dive joint that had a long line out the door everyday

apparently the owner got old and ill - and despite numerous offers from perspective buyers to buy it and keep it going - the owner wanted nothing of it and shut the doors

We are The Cove last time and thought it was pretty good.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

Ruth Chris? WTF?

Only been once and we managed to get chris farley as our waiter. Makes for a great story though

More WTF?

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i've eaten at Ruth's Chris on two occasions - once in San Antonio - and the other here in Dallas

fantastic meals both times

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I had the name mostly right lol. Seriously though, the guy looked and acted like Chris Farley. Kept touching us and at one point he jab'd my brothers steak over on his plate and laughed that now he has more room on the plate to put the sides. Funny as hell, but I wasn't paying for the meal. Was a skit straight out of SNL

Top Bottom