• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coonan357

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Just below the panhandle of Texas
    I figured that I'd post a thread showing my efforts to get my motorcycle back on the road. It has been sidelined for about four years. It's a 1993 Kawasaki ZR1100. The clutch needed to be replaced. All three master and slave cylinders needed to be rebuilt. The balancer oil seal had developed a leak (which means the cases had to be split). And it had developed the common (to this model) habit of popping out of 2nd gear under load.

So I've got the new clutch parts. The transmission cluster is at R&D transmission in Clearwater Florida getting 2nd gear undercut. And I'm doing general cleaning and checking parts for wear and tolerances. The old bike has just over 116k on the odometer. I'm only responsible for the last 26k though. It has been a good motorcycle for me.

A few pictures.
    This picture was taken just after the first rebuild (forty miles after I had bought the motorcycle) in Orlando Florida. I gave the 1980 KZ750 (behind the ZR) to my brother in law many years ago.
    35904099840_62411f3464_b.jpg

Here it is with the engine removed from the frame.
    35463667304_f8e14819a7_b.jpg

And the split cases.
    35463657624_3d9ddbb311_b.jpg

Unforgivably, the old bike sat outside under a carport in the Texas panhandle. So most of my time will be spent cleaning dust and grime from every nook and cranny. I'm hoping to have it up and running before the weather turns too cold to ride. It will be my main mode of transportation until I replace the engine in my Grand Cherokee. That should be fun.
    DK Firearms

Coonan357

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Just below the panhandle of Texas
    Time for an update (finally).
    After getting past my mental block preventing me from putting the cylinders on the lower case I am going forward again. I fabricated a set of useable ring compressors and rods with clamps to help guide the cylinders over the pistons. I had a bit of a worry when I realized that the rear cam chain guide was caught between the cylinder and lower case. Fortunately for me it was not damaged as I tried to use a rubber mallet to gently tap the cylinders into place.
    Today's process will be to install the cylinder head and then I'll have a neighbor across the field help me move the engine from the bench to the bike lift in preparation for installing it into the frame.

Transmission installed in the lower case. It is easy to see which gears were involved in the 2nd gear repair issue.
    1.jpg

Cylinder installation setup. Note the guide rods and clamps to help lower the cylinders.
    2.jpg

A look at one of my fabricated ring compressors. Not pretty, but serviceable.
    3.jpg

Ring compressors in place. Also note the piston holders I fabricated to keep the pistons fairly level and to keep them from moving as the cylinder was lowered. (I cannot remember where I copied the idea of the ring compressors. The idea for piston holders was copied from the service manual.)
    4.jpg

A better look at one of the ring compressors.
    5.jpg

A look at me (posing) with the engine. Kinda makes it look like I know what I am doing doesn't it. (This is my best side, otherwise you'd see the G20 in the IWB Comp-tac Infidel holster.)
    6.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    At least you're not styling your hair with transmission fluid. Everything looks good. The transmission looks brand new. You don't even have oil drips on the bench. The ring compressors are a sharp idea.

+1, Mr Coonan

Top Bottom