Retail ammo prices in N Dallas area?

Discussion in 'Dallas & Fort Worth' started by kakpataka, Oct 9, 2009.

1. kakpataka

kakpataka Member

Aug 9, 2009
    DFW Lewisville
    Guys, so I finally moved to Dallas ( fairview) area the past monday!
    So I took a short drive to some gun store on K Ave in Plano.
    I was shocked to see the ammo prices!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf 20 rnds 9.75/box of 20 for both .223 & 7.62, Blazer CCI .40 31.XX for a box of 50. Are ammo prices in TX that high? I thought the prices would actually be cheaper here than in CA. Checked out some plastic mags. Thermold was 25.00 plus tax for the AK & magpul was about 24 or so.

I can always order via online but these prices seem ridiculous. Where do you guys buy ammo from other than walmart for plinking?

2. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I can get 100 rnds .40 WWB for less than 30 at Walmart here. Academy usually has decent prices also

3. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    +1...That's true here in Houston, too.:2cents:

4. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Gun shops for the most part have always been more expensive than big box discount stores like Wally World and Academy. And they have been the slowest to return to the pre Obama pricing. WW and Acadamey are still higher than they were pre Obama though.

I check the discount stores and will buy there if they have what I want at the right price. Of course that is not always the case. Ammo at gun shows has finally returned to reasonable pricing. I picked up a couple of boxes of .45 Blazer at the last show for $18 box/50, and saw 9mm going for around $10. Not world beater pricing, but not so bad considereing it was double or triple that a few months ago.

5. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    Word of advice I got from an old timer... Never buy ammo at a gun store or shooting range unless youre absolutely desperate or rich. Wally World and Academy seem to be the only ones that I can buy range ammo for cheap... Just if I can find it at these two, then I would be AOK.

6. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Welcome to the forum. My mother in-law lives in Heritage Ranch and we're just down the street.

Besides Walmart, it's Academy, Sports Authority, and online.

I assume you were at the Bullet Trap? I've always thought their ammo prices (along with most other stuff) were high. They are a good shop, as they keep a nice inventory of guns and have always been friendly......but they charge a premium price.

7. Exile Machine

Exile Machine Active Member

May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    I get ammo at Wal-Mart or Academy. Also CTD is a short drive from where I live.

BTW, Welcome to Texas!

8. randomoutburst

randomoutburst Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    I like Academy - they have value packs of Remington 9mm for about 25-30 bucks quite often and their .38/.357 aren't bad either, though I can't remember what I paid last time I bought ammo. Gander Mountain in Sherman is usually okay as well, but we have family up there that gets it for us...it's a bit of a drive from Fairview/McKinney.
    If you want to go to a range, Target Master in Dallas/Garland area is very good and usually have reasonable ammo prices. The owner likes to sell only to people who actually use the range if he's in short supply - just a warning. They're really nice there though, and offer their own reloaded ammo for a decent price.

9. kakpataka

kakpataka Member

Aug 9, 2009
    DFW Lewisville
    Guys So I drove to CTD! My GPS couldnt exactly find the place so I had to ask around!There ammo prices were almost the same as every retail place I went to in Plano! It turns out that over at CTD, you can get Aany item from teh catalog pickup desk & usually at online prices They had wolf 223 under 5 / box!
    Ionly bought 2 plastic mags for 30 plus tax though! It is about 50 minutes from me but I liked the prices & got to see new places!

Thanks for the great input thus far & thanks for the warm & rainy welcome!!!

10. slammr

slammr Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Plano, Tx
    Actually my local gun store in Plano (Bullet Trap) had .40 cal JHP for cheaper that Academy Sports, although their FMJ is higher. Go figure.

Local Wally World has .40 cal Federal FMJ at $12.50/box of 50. I've bought 250 pack of Remington at Academy for $80