• ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I guess it works.
    Gone are the days of fitting rooms & comparing clothes up close.

Huh? Where do you live? Some places I know have fitting rooms and comparison up close:

WalMart, Cabelas, Target, Academy, Columbia, Under Armor, DSW, 5.11, Bass Pro, Wrangler, Converse, Timberland, SteinMart, Nordstrum, Sachs, JC Penny, well you get the idea.

And places I no longer go like Dicks, Field & Stream.
    Guns International

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Gone are the days of fitting rooms & comparing clothes up close.
    When I was 5 to 10 years old, approximately, my family was solidly middle class but by no means were we rich.

I still remember sitting around in the women's clothing stores where the sales associate would help out by interviewing my mom and sister about what they needed. Then the sales associate would disappear for a couple of minutes (I realize now that she was grabbing stuff off the racks in the back of the store) while everyone was seated in a salon by her assistant. The assistant would get everyone refreshments and make a bit of small talk until the sales associate reappeared.

Then the models started walking out. There always seemed to be at least three different girls. Mom and sis would narrow down their selections. If things weren't to their taste, things might go on pause while the sales associate started the process over to get a better idea what was needed. Each time something was given a thumbs up, the assistant sales associate would rack those clothes and when a certain number had been reached (I have no idea how that judgement was made), the fashion show would be over.

Mom and sis would go through that rack and eliminate a few things. Then there would be measurements taken and the remaining clothes would disappear to be altered to fit. The family would swing by to pick up those clothes, usually a week later.

Obviously, mom and sis tended to go for more service-oriented establishments. As the boy-child, I was perfectly happy with my jeans and shirts off the rack from Sears. Dad wrote checks and clothed himself with suits that he and my mom would buy together, without the kids present. The man lived in suits. I literally saw him start to mow the lawn in a suit one time before he realized he should take off his coat and tie. To be fair, he reserved for lawn work only those suit pants, shirts, and shoes that were too old and worn to go to the office. If anything greasy was on the schedule, i.e. auto repair, the coveralls went on over his clothes.

My point?

There was a time in this country when a middle-class, single income family with two kids could afford, perhaps twice a year, to update two of the four wardrobes in the house with a private fashion show complete with models in a salon.

There's a political essay in there, somewhere, but I'm too old and out of touch to write it.

I just wanted to set the scene for the youngsters on here, to let you have an idea of what has been lost.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Guys, guys... the important part is that Jeff Bezos has $100 billion in his bank account. **** all the retail workers out of jobs, and **** all the people working in shit conditions for Amazon, too. Oh, and pays less tax than a mook working for minimum wage.

Can’t tell if serious or sarcastic.

Sarcastic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Guys, guys... the important part is that Jeff Bezos has $100 billion in his bank account. **** all the retail workers out of jobs, and **** all the people working in shit conditions for Amazon, too. Oh, and pays less tax than a mook working for minimum wage.

He has a pretty small bank account. He only takes about $82k salary. He has never taken stock awards, so yeah, he pays little in taxes because he makes little.

And as everyone probably knows, his stock ownership is unrealized gains.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Having spent 36 years in the grocery industry food stores are like Kinkos & Starbuck there are to many of them!

Here’s a fun fact:
    There are more mattress stores, than there are Starbucks.

6dc4b8517b8fcdcf2e90c038dc4cbcf5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• 6dc4b8517b8fcdcf2e90c038dc4cbcf5.jpg
      6dc4b8517b8fcdcf2e90c038dc4cbcf5.jpg
      19.6 KB · Views: 464

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    The only retail store I really miss is Radio Shack. I don't miss them much because in their last few years they stopped stocking those little electric parts that you could not find elsewhere. Any company that calls their store brand Realistic deserves to go under. Buy our crap its like the real thing. The Internet isn't the cause of all stores closing.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Having spent 36 years in the grocery industry food stores are like Kinkos & Starbuck there are to many of them!
    When Trump came thru Crosby, he bypassed the plywood eyesore nobody wanted him to see. Our Kroger closed recently. left us with wallyworld which is low quality and Arlens that is good but unable to discount much. I hate wallyworld. The Internet can't do small small community food yet, probably never will. We miss HEB too. For us there is not too many grocery stores

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When Trump came thru Crosby, he bypassed the plywood eyesore nobody wanted him to see. Our Kroger closed recently. left us with wallyworld which is low quality and Arlens that is good but unable to discount much. I hate wallyworld. The Internet can't do small small community food yet, probably never will. We miss HEB too. For us there is not too many grocery stores
    No Brookshires brothers?

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

The margins for grocery stores are pretty thin, so they really need volume to survive.

I really think America doesn’t do small towns very well anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom