• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Lady at the customer service counter with a 90's vintage VCR...
    Lady: "I'd like to return this."
    Clerk: "We do not now nor have we ever carried VCRs."
    Lady: "I bought it here."
    Clerk: "At Trader Joe's?"
    Lady (stomping her foot): "THIS USED TO BE A RADIO SHACK!"

Old lady.jpg
    Guns International

Attachments

• Old lady.jpg
      Old lady.jpg
      12.9 KB · Views: 243

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    You old bastards and your nostalgia...sheesh, I remember when we had 'ice men' because there really were such things as 'ice boxes' that needed 'ice' and actual 'milk men' and, and crank up phones.

TV was only available in black and white and there were only 3 stations and kids still got polio and, and, and, shudder.......

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    You old bastards and your nostalgia...sheesh, I remember when we had 'ice men' because there really were such things as 'ice boxes' that needed 'ice' and actual 'milk men' and, and crank up phones. . . .

My great uncle had brain damage from scarlet fever, and had limited mental capacity. His job as an adult was delivering blocks of ice in a wheelbarrow!! It was a VERY small town.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    You must be a youngster as I remember pre-TV. We would gather around a console radio in the living room for the evenings entertainment - Abbot & Costello, The Shadow, Benny Goodman, Amos & Andy, etc. http://www.oldradioworld.com/
    I'm same age as you & I remember some radio but I have a more concise memory of going to my uncle's house to see the new TV, where we watched while the studio camera rotated left to right showing 1st the temperature then the time. Quite entertaining.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    You must be a youngster as I remember pre-TV. We would gather around a console radio in the living room for the evenings entertainment - Abbot & Costello, The Shadow, Benny Goodman, Amos & Andy, etc. http://www.oldradioworld.com/

This is the first radio I remember, circa 1946, in Lafayette, LA.
    My grandparents, listening to their radio in the living room.
    Local news was in French.
    We gathered around it each evening after supper.
    Kids had damn well better "be seen and not heard" ...

Grandparents.jpg

Attachments

• Grandparents.jpg
      Grandparents.jpg
      614.1 KB · Views: 350

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    In 1962 we returned from a 3 year tour in France. I had seen TV but not in English. We had a Telefunken AM/FM/Shortwave stereophonic HiFi. Stopped by a well to do relatives on the way and he had a color TV. So the first TV show I ever watched was Bonanza in color. It was 1971 before we got a color set of our own. One day I was watching a B/W rerun of Gilligans Island. My mother stomped in and changed the channel and yelled, You are wasting the color in this TV.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My mother stomped in and changed the channel and yelled, You are wasting the color in this TV.
    It really kicks you in the gut when you grow up and realize your parents were sometimes idiots. As children, we think of them as Those-Who-Know-Everything. As teens, we think of them as Those-Who-Must-Be-Deceived.

Then, one day, we're adults and we realize they were just people, as manifestly flawed as every other person on the planet. When that happens, it's one of the markers of true adulthood. It really broke my heart when that truth sank in.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    This is the first radio I remember, circa 1946, in Lafayette, LA.
    My grandparents, listening to their radio in the living room.
    Local news was in French.
    We gathered around it each evening after supper.
    Kids had damn well better "be seen and not heard" ...

View attachment 169378

Your Grandma looks about as stern as mine was. LoL

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Ok, I will throw in some more nostalgia. I remember our first tv with a screen about 10" across....lots of lines the scrolled up the screen all the time. I remember the radio in the corner; it stood about four feet high on tall legs and had a round face with the station numbers all around. In the other corner was a big oil heater connected to the nastiest oil tank outside. The only thing nastier was the guy who used to come to fill the tank...his name was Springer ....how can I remember that almost 70 years later?.

Top Bottom