• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    OK guys, long story short.
    Went out today to pick up a cheap 9mm plinker and came home with a 308..... so much for cheap plinking.

My question is not about whether this japanese scope (70's or 80's) is a decent scope but instead about the reticle itself.
    I have owned and used a ton of different scopes but I haven't seen a reticle like this before.
    I am trying to determine if this scope croaked from being punished by sitting atop a 280 or whether the reticle should be like this.
    This rifle was left to me but I've never shot it so the reticle was like this before I ever received it. There is no signs of external impact- the scope looks like new.
    There is no reticle movement that I can see and it appears to stay in place.

I don't want to waste money purchasing a mount for a 1" tube unless somebody has seen this reticle before and can confirm it isn't a problem with the scope.
    Thanks.

View attachment 29470

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    If the lower horizontal line was some kind of longer range setting (just a guess), you could shoot it at 100 yds. using the upper first then the lower and if looked like a longer range setting (150, 200, etc.) you could put up a target at whatever distance you though it was, and shoot it again. Just a thought. (just get some cheap rings initially until you make an evaluation)

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    Thanks guys.
    I think this may have been a 1st generation bullet drop scale or something.
    The power adjustment ring has a window with some yardage (I assume) readings.
    I've never owned a scope more than about 15 years old and I've never seen this.

View attachment 29471

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    There is nothing wrong with the scope (from what can be seen at least).

The dual reticles are for estimating range.

Example for White tail deer. You adjust the magnification until the body of the deer, bottom of belly to its back, is in those two lines, then look at the top and find where it says deer. The number shown is the approximate distance.

The elevation turret is caliber and bullet weight specific. You adjust it to the range you found via the reticle and it should compensate for the bullet drop.

They are not extremely durable, but should last OK if not abused.

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    That makes me 1/19769.

Gotta start somewhere. :D

I wasn't going to dismiss this scope simply because it was a Tasco after looking through it. I don't know what the light transmission rating is but it seems every bit as bright and sharp as my more costly optics.

I will give it a try and see how it goes.

Top Bottom