• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike T

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Frisco, north of Dallas
    Hi folks,

I've been hanging around this forum for a while, but I think this is my first post. My name is Mike and I live in Frisco. I've been shooting ever since I was in the Marine Corps around 1970 (yikes!) I also reload. Until I retired recently, my time was limited and I had to settle for punching holes in paper. Now that I'm "liberated," I want to jump into shooting/hunting/handloading with both feet.

My goal is to do some varmint (including prairie dog) and deer hunting. There are a couple of problems: I don't know anyone who hunts, or likes to talk guns for that matter and I've never hunted in all these years. I belong to the Frisco Gun Club, which is a very nice facility, but I'm tired of poking holes in paper and I want to shoot outside -- and shoot at something more than just paper.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions you may have for getting into the DFW gun scene, meeting people and getting out to hunt.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mike

DK Firearms

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Welcome Mike!

As someone who recently started "competitively" shooting (meaning I compete, not that I'm competitive...yet), I'd recommend looking for some IPSC/IDPA matches in the area and showing up to shoot a couple of them. I personally prefer IPSC/USPSA, but I shoot both because they're different skill sets. Both are very welcoming of new shooters and there's not a lot of special gear required for either one.

As for hunting, best advice is start hanging around places hunters do and get in with a group that hunts. There's probably some capital investment required (helping with lease fees, etc.), otherwise it's learning on your own on public land, which isn't the best or most productive way to do it.

I'm sure others in your area will come along with more specifics, but welcome!

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Howdy

Since you are already a member at a range, you've half of it whooped. Post a message on the bulletin board at the club asking pretty much what you've asked here. Since they would be more "local" folks, you'd probably have an easier time meeting up with, or making contact, with them. Barring that, ask one of the R.O.s, as they often get to meet up with quite a few of the shooters.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Welcome to TGT!

Been retired for about five years. I was told that you will wonder how I ever had enough time for a full time job. That is perfect and correct!

I go to bed with a full itinerary set up for the next day. I leave it open enough so if I'm hurting or feeling lousy, I throttle back. There have been some days that I just went back to bed. Today, I worked my whole list except for one item!

Learn to say "NO". The world is filled with people who will view you as a source of free labor. Churches are the worst.

People aren't motivated. You have a "drive" to do shooting sports activities. Others don't. Be prepared to leave them behind and proceed alone. If you wait on them, that's a waste of your time. It's up to YOU to get out there and do your thing.

Enjoy your new adventure!

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I worked with a very nice man in a Tulsa factory. On the day of his retirement, I asked Levi what he planned to do? His answer went something like: "Gonna sit in the rocker on the front porch." Levi was dead within 6 months! I never forgot that.

Gotta stay busy, connected, active, exercised, eat right, happy if you intend to survive! Find your new purpose and goals.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I went back to work teaching at a local college. The money was great but teaching wasn't fun any more. My personal rule "IF IT ISN'T FUN, THEN DON'T DO IT!" came into play and I quit teaching forever!

While you're considering 23 year old Bimbos, I put romantic relationships at the top of the list of things that could totally F up my retirement. I have a bird nest on the ground, here!

I took the usual male response of "OOOHHH, I'd like to be with her!" and turned it around to make it more realistic. Now I say "Why would she want to be with me?" The solitary answer that stands out is "Money."

Sex is the bait. The payoff for them is money and "stuff." I post this warning and get responses like "You hate women." Two of my best friends are women! I also know the feminine games and don't hesitate to call them on it.

At retirement age, you do not have time to rebuild after a romantic breakup. This is your last chance. Protect it!

If you're married, then protect that relationship because it can wipe you out!

Flash

Last edited:

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    There is much truth here. Experience is a hard teacher of many bitter lessons.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I've been retired for a very long time.

To fully enjoy your time stay busy.

I volunteer, shoot a lot, read a lot, do lots of projects at home, do tons of yard work with mowing, tree pruning, do lots of various kinds of demanding exercise. In other words, I'm very physically active and stay in shape.

Don't sit around doing nothing, unless you plan to die soon, then it's perfectly fine.

Mike T

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Frisco, north of Dallas
    It's interesting how this thread about shooting morphed into one about retirement. There's a tremendous amount of valuable advice here, and I appreciate it. The "stay busy" message has come through loud and clear. I've been working at that for a while without enough success. I recently joined an organization of retired business people who volunteer their time and knowledge to mentor owners of small business and start-ups. That excites me!

One of the things I want to devote more time to (now that I have it) is the gun-related stuff I mentioned at the top of this thread. Trouble is I can't find the venues or people to do them with.

Once again, thank you for all your help.

Mike

Top Bottom