• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    OK, not sure why movie reviews are showing up in the 'Rants and Raves' section of the forum; but I watched this movie on my flight back over the Atlantic yesterday and I have to say, I was seriously impressed!

If you loved Blade Runner you really should see this. Not only are the cinematography and special effects outstanding, the plot is excellent as well!

Just a warning, there is some brief nudity in the movie; it's not during a sexual situation but given that the premise of the film is humanizing AI robots there are a few scenes with full frontal shots. I was quite surprised being that I watched it on an airliner, but since it was British Airways I guess they're less prudish than American carriers!

But if you like great Sci-Fi movies, you need to see this one!

Cheers! Mike
    Guns International

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    But if you like great Sci-Fi movies, you need to see this one!
    Are you aware of this one? The Martian:

Published on Jun 8, 2015
    "THE MARTIAN | Official Trailer: During a manned mission to Mars, Astronaut Mark Watney (Matt Damon) is presumed dead after a fierce storm and left behind by his crew. But Watney has survived and finds himself stranded and alone on the hostile planet. With only meager supplies, he must draw upon his ingenuity, wit and spirit to subsist and find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive. Millions of miles away, NASA and a team of international scientists work tirelessly to bring “the Martian” home, while his crewmates concurrently plot a daring, if not impossible rescue mission. As these stories of incredible bravery unfold, the world comes together to root for Watney’s safe return. Based on a best-selling novel, and helmed by master director Ridley Scott, THE MARTIAN features a star studded cast that includes Jessica Chastain, Kristen Wiig, Kate Mara, Michael Peña, Jeff Daniels, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Donald Glover. In Theaters - November, 2015"

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I haven't heard of that movie, but I hope it's better than Damon's last appearance in Interstellar which I thought was horrible...

Ex Machina is more of what I prefer in Sci-Fi movies, a great plot and acting that, as one reviewer said, "leans heavier on ideas than effects." In other words, smart science fiction that doesn't depend on CGI to be entertaining and thought-provoking...

GLI45

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Ex Machina and the new Jurassic World

Ex Machina is more of what I prefer in Sci-Fi movies, a great plot and acting that, as one reviewer said, "leans heavier on ideas than effects." In other words, smart science fiction that doesn't depend on CGI to be entertaining and thought-provoking...

Agree 100%. My wife and I saw this and though it was excellent. Rather than using CGI and special effects to carry the movie you got very interesting characters, great plot, excellent dialogue, and smart science. Thought provoking movie capped off with an excellent finish.

Sadly it's the opposite for Jurassic World. Uninteresting characters with no development, mostly inane dialogue, worn out plot that's a straight ripoff of the original with nothing new, multiple undeveloped story lines (2 kids and the 2 adult sisters, former navy guy, bad guy head of corporate security...). I could go on, but suffice it to say I should have waited and watched it for free on Netflix rather than drop $50 at Alamo Drafthouse.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    To be honest, I expected Jurassic Park to be nothing more than CGI; which is why I wasn't even bothering to see it in the theater. As a matter of fact, I am not even sure if I'll Netflix it...

However, I may actually buy Ex Machina as I was so impressed with it!

Cheers! M2

vbriseno82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    I really liked it alot as well-very trippy-my kinda movie lol.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

bignic83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    West of San Antone
    I haven't heard of that movie, but I hope it's better than Damon's last appearance in Interstellar which I thought was horrible...

Were you panning Damon's acting? Or the movie. I thought the movie was ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I know the author of The Martian. It's going to be an excellent movie that conveys the pure science part of the fiction. Very faithful.

wile-e-coyote

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Thanks major..I'll check this out. I do love me some good Sci-Fi but todays film industry seems to be very hit or miss (with a lot of missing). I was pleasantly surprised by Interstellar. Somehow a Sci-Fi starring MM made me very nervous LOL.

Top Bottom