• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I saw the movie "Gravity" at the cheap show today. I saw it in 3D as the online scheduling did not specify that the 11:30 am showing was in 3D. Movies.com did not have that correct.

I was concerned about 3D after having so much trouble with my eyes and vision but the I had no problem with the movie. The old 3D had one red and one green lens and caused considerable eye strain. The new 3D has glasses that look like sunglasses.

The 3D created interesting images like a big metal bolt floating into the audience and a tear floating into audience space. The visuals were stunning and views of Earth from space were breathtaking!

The story revolves around a US effort to repair the Hubble telescope. There was an explosion that occurred from an anti satellite missile action. That explosion sends huge amounts of fast moving debris directly into their path. The shuttle and crew do not weather this storm well. The following efforts to survive were gut wrenching and enough to keep viewers clenching the arm rests tightly. For 1 hour 30 minutes, the viewer is dragged from one close call to another. It's not a comfortable ride and because most of us understand so little of the orbital environment, it's pretty terrifying.

What was moving to me was the intense loneliness the astronauts must feel in orbit. Views of space FROM space are scary and this movie gave some real insight into what that must feel like.

This movie was a wild ride! I doubt if viewers will recognize any of the scenes in Gravity from other flicks. This was all new to me and pretty unnerving!

The flick was great! Visual effects were a huge cut above what is offered in other movies. I was hooked into the story and wouldn't have left if someone yelled "fire!"

The downer for me is that chances of survival for anyone in a situation like we experience in this movie are so close to zero, that it stretched my belief a little. A flake of paint moving at 18,000 mph has been reported to damage our spacecrafts. There were rail car sizes of debris beating the shuttle down! Their survival for me, was like successfully catching a 9mm bullet in your teeth!

Bad language was absolutely minimal. Bullock was fully clothed but when she removed her suit, she looked GREAT in her space suit shorts and tank top! That gave me a big smile! The girl looks terrific!

This is a "must see"! It was worth paying the extra for 3D and the experience was a very positive one!

My grade = "A"! Go to see it, you won't regret it.

Flash
    Target Sports

Last edited:

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i went and saw it today also - the 3d version on the big XD digital screen

this is what furloughed govt employees do

anyway - the cinematography is amazing. as i was walking out after the show - the first thing that struck me was that there are only two actors on screen in this movie - Bullock and Clooney

but aside from that - the 3d version and effects were spectacular....

the story itself - or plot is really a backdrop for the cinematography and special effects

definitely worth the price of admission

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I signed the review and wrote every word. I hope it meets with your approval.

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Thanks for the kind words! I must admit the subject was easy to write about. It's a great flick and it moved me to the bone marrow.

The views of space made my stomach churn. The vastness of what is out there makes our petty issues shrink by comparison.

The other thing that struck me was that the debris was also in orbit. That meant the Astronauts had to deal with it multiple times as it orbited Earth. I never really considered that.

One negative remark was mentioned by channel 13 today. A space engineer noticed that objects within the spacecraft floated realistically except for Bullock's hair. Thinking back on it....that's true. Her hair acted like it was in Earth's gravitational pull.

Flash

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Saw it Saturday. If you get motion sickness, be sure to take your meds before the movie 'cause it never stops moving!

I really enjoyed it and some friends who happened to go at the same time loved it as well. My wife fell asleep (she always falls asleep in movies).

Yeah, Sandra has definitely been hitting the gym.

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    I saw this movie on Saturday. Wow!

It has a lot of intensity and lets you get a sense of the helplessness. There are some scenes where some flailing happens (the trailers can give you a peek, if you want), and the lady two seats from me was flailing right along with the action on screen. There is also a scene where everybody in the theater holds their breath -- listen for the collective inhale when you see the flick.

I really liked the movie -- thinking about going again.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    3D: I went to see some mega movie while back in 3D, it was the only show. I soon found real quick it gives me a splitting headache that will mostly go away the second I take off the glasses. What I discovered was in fact not all the movie was in 3D, in fact only various scenes. Then I discovered I could watch the movie till the 3D came on, see the action scene, then take off the glasses and all was well.

Great movie review, I suspect this movie may be all 3D based upon your comments...thanks...

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i'll add this about 3d - i'm not normally a fan of 3d movies for reasons already expressed in this thread..but this is one movie that you should make the exception for - if you are able

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Well, I have not been to a theater in probably 10yrs.
    I have never seen a 3D movie, I might make an exception in this case.....

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I tried removing my 3D glasses and noticed a few things. When I looked at something like a speaker grill or something with vertical lines, I saw double lines. Other than that, the scene was almost normal. The few scenes where 3D came into play were pretty graphic. That bolt drifting into the audience was one. It was was pretty tough to resist reaching out to catch it!

The views of weightless Sandra Bullock were very sexy but it showed nothing naughty. I wish more movie makers would understand that. The scenes reminded me of the scenes from Jane Fonda's "Barberella."

Flash

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Great review.. One of the neat things about our site is how we keep a lot of interests under one umbrella .. This is the first movie review i've read, and sure won't be the last.. i know i can trust what you guys and gals think a lot more than some "entertainment" news reader..

Thanks Roger and to quote TXinv .."You should consider a career as a critic. That was extremely well written. I was not interested in the movie, but I am now".

those things that bring us together have worth.. Glad to see a couple of our "alpha's" on the same page..

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I expect a movie to touch me in some way. I can't stand flicks that have nothing to offer but special effects, gore and lots of noise.

Similarly, I dislike flicks that are designed to make me cry. Yes....I cry at some movies. When the PURPOSE is to get me snotted up, it ticks me off. Chick flicks are notorious for that and "Love Story" of years past is a prime example. The movie was designed to sell Kleenex.....nothing more!

If I get hooked into the story, feel what the character feels and share that with the subject in the movie, it's a winner to me.

Flash

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    My wife and I saw it and she and I both felt that Susan B (her role) was not portrayed very well at all. I felt she played the role of a stressed out, dealing with personal issues, borderline incompetent and a not so smart female. I think she could have been portrayed far better and a LOT less 'needy'. But a good movie...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom