Review Of The Movie Hunger Games- Catching Fire.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My friend Bonnie and I had a chance to see Hunger Games- Catching Fire at the cheap show today. This is second in the series about a world that has gone out of control. The government has become brutal and oppressive....you know....like today! The nation has been broken up into districts and periodically, two residents are selected by lot to participate in a deadly game. Out of all the"Tributes" chosen for these games, only one will survive. They kill each other until one walks away alive. The survivor of each game lives out their life all expenses paid. In this land of poverty, that is big Mojo.

In the first installment, there are two survivors and they refuse to try to kill each other. There is a sub plot about those two and their public (but not real) love affair. So both survive.

The nation is on a path to revolution against the government and people are being beaten and murdered to quell the uprising. The government folks see the survivors of the Hunger games as instigators in the unrest so they devise a NEW and SPECIAL game where all of the survivors are pitted against each other. So much for living out their lives all expenses paid, right? Only the rulers know that in THIS game, no one will survive.

The games begin and all of the participants split into small alliances that try to kill each other. It gets bloody and violent between the groups but the government folks throw in some tricks in an attempt to snuff ALL of the players. They are pretty successful until the players begin to figure things out...............................

There were several scenes that were genuinely scary. It was tense and bloody as this totally unfair and rigged game progressed. I liked the intrigue as players who were supposed to kill each other, began to trust and rely on others.

I liked the characters. Having won a previous game, it was interesting to see how different each of the players were in their personality and style of dealing with this terror.

I was sorely ticked off at the Government two faced scum and comparing them to our present rulers was an easy reach. They cheated and lied and that was normal for them. Very similar to today.

I always wonder about movie guns and ammunition. I like the revolvers with 14 shots, the Mac 10's with 900 round magazines and this movie was no different. The lead female character was an excellent archer. She kept launching arrows and making incredible shots, yet her quiver was always full! She never ran out of arrows!

The surprise ending leaves an opening for a third installment. I really got hooked into the story and intend to see the next one!

There is NO recap to the previous story to bring you up to speed but the movie stands on its own pretty well. It would not be too difficult to pick up the story if you hadn't seen the first movie.

Language was very mild, there was no nudity and violence went with the story. It wasn't gore just for the sake of showing blood. These people were in a game where they had to kill each other and that had to be a part of the story.

The movie is LONG! In 2 1/2 hours, it required two pee breaks....snicker.

I went with Bonnie and we both enjoyed the movie. I would rate it an A- as I think it dragged a bit in spots. The romantic parts in the first 1/2 hour were too fluffy for my taste. Once the movie got underway, those scenes became irrelevant.

It is a great flick, well done and interesting. The story was different than the usual fare and it kept me engaged almost the whole time.

Flash
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I thought it was an excellent movie. I never read the books but so far, the movies have been highly entertaining and Jennifer Lawrence is a beautiful and skilled actress. I'm really looking forward to the next installment when they take the revolution to the Capitol. Definitely worth a second or third watch.

-TXG-

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Alright brother Flash, another great review.. Roger for what it's worth (zip) I promise you a lot of us like these reviews.. my back won't let me sit through a lot of movies, and it,'s hard to tell what their about from the trailers.. your in depth on these has exactly the right amount of story line, with out giving away the plot.. I've read newspaper movie review that didn't manage to do that.. so for real thanks..

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Thanks! I was also frustrated by the movie reviews and decided to try a different path. Movie reviews list the characters and the director etc. I wanted to review what I saw, learned, heard and how the flick made me feel. You can look up the players yourself very easily so I avoid that.

I paid $5 to see this flick and I want to tell you what I got for my money. It's a different approach and some folks may not like it but that's what I try to do.

I like flicks that alter the way I see things or teach me something or make me think. This movie? It shows me exactly what the end result of our present Liberal power grab will be. There are those in power............and the rest of us. They are in charge, affluent and privileged. Fast forward our present path many years and we arrive right there: The Hunger Games! It's pretty sobering.

Flash

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    This is the only series I actually completely read when my wife brought it home.

If the movies hold true to the book. It's going to annoy you.

Second the movie is seriously toned down vs the book. They fail to effectively communicate the oppression these people were under.

Or the brutality of the games.

That being said, there are some fantastic anti-oppression big government themes in the book.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    You might want to consider that in the "Hunger Games" sagas, no weapons were permitted in the hands of common folk like you and me. The lady archer entered the woods illegally, hunted rabbits with her bow & arrows then had to hide the archery equipment before she returned to town. Not to beat on the obvious but......................a totalitarian and oppressive government MUST have a disarmed population!

Flash

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom