• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    We had another rainy day today so I caught "Pacific Rim" at the $5 show. The show runs a bit over 2 hours and was a genuine kick ass thriller earning my enthusiastic thumbs up!

The story involves monsters that emerge from a large fissure in the ocean. Humans found that by producing huge fighting machines (robots) that interface with two Human operators....that's right.......... TWO operators who blend their mental capabilities to operate the fighter, they could beat the monsters down.

What I LIKED about the flick..........
    The story was well explained. There were no gaps that weren't explained, you understood the situation and why the Humans were doing what they were doing. Unlike "World War Z", I was in on the entire story line.

It was interesting story line that kept me engaged as it evolved and developed.

Interestilgly, World powers decided that they would deactivate the robot army and instead, build a huge wall around populated areas. That reminded me of our gun control Liberal fanatic views. Of course, monsters cut through retaining walls like a hot knife through butter and as most Liberal protection schemes go, Humanity was left helpless.

Visual effects were VERY effective! Huge factories where the giant fighters were made and maintained, actually LOOKED like huge factories. There was nothing crappy or fake looking. It was very realistic. Shaking of the camera to fudge the action was minimal. That was a wonderful change and I was relieved to not deal with it.

The Oriental female fighter was fantastic! That's my kind of woman! The fight scene with her was something to see!

Language is moderate and not too nasty.

Be sure to STAY after the credits begin to roll. There is a really funny scene worked into the credits!

Some things that I didn't like..............

As mentioned, the visuals and audio were extremely intense! Honestly, I felt like my eyes and ears were bleeding by the end of the flick! There was SO MUCH audio and visual stimuli and very little time to recover between action scenes. This movie is INTENSE from start to finish!

Audio on the flick was extreme. Audio followed the action and was loud when it should have been loud.

I think the hero and the oriental Female fighter should have had a "fling" but the flick was already over 2 hours long without it. If HE didn't want her........I'll take her!

The movie was great! It was probably the best job of storytelling of any flick popular today.
    A+ on the story
    A+ on on the visuals and audio
    A+ on the price. $5 at the cheap show was a bargain!
    B+ on casting. A few of the characters were well worn and trite.

Rating? BIG THUMBS UP!

Flash
    Gun Zone Deals

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Plan on going to see it ASAP. On call till next week though so probably won't make it till Saturday after next.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Don't expect a great story or top-notch acting - but if you want visual overload and love BIG monsters and BOG robots then it's a must-see.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I didn't realize they were "bog" robots. Does that give them any advantages?

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    Hmmm, I thought this movie would be nothing but explosions and bad acting with very little story. After this review, I'll have to rethink my position/judgement and actually see it. Thanks for the reviews Flash!

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I thought the acting was pretty good. Granted, you've got your action movie cliches, but consider the Russian pilots who hardly had any dialogue - in fact, only the woman had any and it was all cockpit radio calls - but they oozed attitude and confidence. I also found the Aussie pilots rather engaging and believed the father/son dynamic at play there.

The actress who played Mako did a great job with her character, showing vulnerability and a willingness to kick some butt. Usually it's an either/or proposition.

One thing that really struck me was the use of color - the blue in Mako's hair, the blue coat she wore in the flashback to her childhood and the kaiju attack, Hannibal's red and gold motif with everything around him, the greys of the wall build site - everything was put together to convey either a mood or to build on a character.

Another thing I appreciated was the way the jaeger robots and the kaiju moved. The Jaegers had weight and mass to them. When they're wading through the ocean, you get a real sense of size and power. They're not ridiculously weightless cartoons like the Transformers were. The kaiju, too, show really well-realized mass as they act on their environment and the environment acts on them. Flesh, muscle and fat move like they would on an actual creature. Their movements are natural and obviously modeled after real creatures - I noticed that the kaiju that gets into Hong Kong moved very much like an agitated gorilla.

Frankly, I enjoyed the hell out of this movie, but I have to say I didn't gain anything by seeing it in 3D (other than a convenient showtime and a matinee price that didn't overcharge). I'd say see it in 2D so you can take in more of the spectacle and enjoy it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Best scene of the movie: walking down the street dragging the "baseball bat".

That just kicked ass.

But yeah, you can take the kids to this one.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That was a nice one, but my favorite had to be "We can either sit here and do nothing, or grab those flare guns and do something really stupid!"

Lol, yeah, that was pretty good.

They did a good job of adding a little comedy without making it cheesy.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Haven't seen the movie - but based on this thread I bought the book and read it last week. Good story - good message. I concur with the OP's review.

Top Bottom