• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Friend Bonnie & I saw "South Paw" at the cheap Matinee today and thought it was pretty good!

There's no point in hiding the story line. We've seen it often and it never varies. It's about a Boxer and his life of chaos.
    His story goes from Rags, to Riches, to Rags, to Riches.

He's a pretty fair boxer from the brawler school of boxing. He gets pounded to a bloody pulp but in the end, he wins. His beautiful wife came up with him in the New York foster care system and neither had two nickles to rub together.

Fast forward a few years, and they share a beautiful home and a cute daughter. All is well, right?

His wife is murdered, he hits the skids & loses it all, including his daughter. His worst enemy is within himself: booze and self pity. The guy has absolutely nothing left and the story shows his long, agonizing climb out of the hole he dug himself into.

As viewers, the story takes us through some pretty depressing times and I was hoping (correctly) that this wouldn't be yet another emotional downer of a movie.

Some things I liked:
    I loved the way his new trainer taught him defense in boxing. It was simple but very effective and I was fascinated!

I liked the boxing. I'm a real fan and have been for my entire life.

The way he related to his wife and to his daughter was really nice. They had a good thing going until tragedy struck.

His daughter was terrific. Later, they lived together in a dump and had little to eat. She didn't care. She was with her Dad! That was inspirational!

Photography was good and they didn't need to shake the camera to make the fight scenes work.

The moral message was positive. You can lose it all but if you scrape your stuff in a heap, get motivated and work hard, it can all come back to you!

What I didn't like:
    It's the same old story line. Look at it like Rocky without the steps that he ran up & down. The story is totally predictable.

Boxing scenes were the same old crap. I bash you for a while, then you bash me. Both guys are bloody and putting up a Hell of a fight! We've seen it all many times before.

Realistically, he was getting pretty old for a comeback with 6 weeks to prepare. But what the heck....George Foreman did it when he was a pudgy old man!

There were many F Bombs, lots of language and one scene with sexual content. I liked the fighting but others may not. Blood running freely is not a pretty sight. There was some gun violence.

I gave "Southpaw" a well deserved "A". Surprisingly, Bonnie gave it an A+ and even had to fix her eye makeup after the movie ended!

If you can stomach seeing a man hit total rock bottom, it does pick up from there! Give this movie a look. It's a good one!

Flash
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Both. Bonnie is a good friend and we've known each other for over 15 years. We cooked Turkey wings (Giant wings!) in the Puck oven and played with Jake. Yup, it was fun!

Flash

Top Bottom