• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I saw the movie "World War Z" starring Brad Pitt and the early, cheap show today. Without giving up too much of the story line, I'd give the flick a "Thumbs Up" without reservation.

Some things that I liked:
    Special effects were stunning in some places. I can honestly say that I've never seen anything like this movie in several places. The trailer shows some of the better scenes so I won't give that away.

There were some very graphic parts. In fact, a guy on my row, sitting to my left, got up suddenly and ran towards me. He tried to shove his way past me and couldn't get by so he jumped over me! My reaction to that breech of manners wasn't good but he ran off very quickly, never to return. After a few minutes, I realized that he was heading out to puke! He left his popcorn and drink right there and made a run for it.

There was very little bad language and absolutely no skin/sex. That was a pleasant change from recent movies.

Pitt's wife in the flick was a very nice looking lady but no bombshell actress. Perhaps that was Angelina's (Pitt's real wife) doing, but I liked the result. It was nice to see regular people portraying characters in the movie.

Pitt helped a Female soldier who went on to be a kick ass fighter. I liked that character! Again, she was not a beauty but a very interesting character.

Some things that I did NOT like.
    In action scenes, camera shaking and rapid panning of the camera was used to blur the action. That just sucks and it's the mark of a cheap way to film action shots. Instead of making the scene work, they shake the camera so you can't really tell what's going on.

In one scene of mob action, Pitt is driving a vehicle and someone tries to smash his side window glass. It broke like windshield safety glass. Vehicles have tempered glass in the side windows and when they break, it crumbles to small pieces. FAKE!

Once infected, normal, healthy people turned to distorted monsters in 10 seconds. That stretched my limits of credibility.

I understand that Pitt had to re-shoot the ending. Sorry but the end was LAME!

In all, I gave the flick a Thumbs Up. The story was interesting, action scared the crap out of me several times and I saw things that I've never experienced before. I stayed awake and alert during the entire flick. It was well worth the $5.50 that I paid to see it.

Flash
    Military Camp

Last edited:

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I saw it as well this past week. Took a looong lunch on a slow day. Not a bad movie. I have not read the book as I'm not much of a Max Brooks fan, so I don't know how well the movie followed it. Good movie though as far as Zombie movies go.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    i have no idea why the guy would puke. wussy maybe?

anyway, the movie is a "go see". its worth teh price of admission, i saw it at the matinee price at the drafthouse, so even if it sucked, i wouldnt complain much.

in all honesty, the movie shouldnt carry the WWZ name, however, it feels like an extension of the WWZ book. the WWZ book is a collection of surviviors stories and they are all absolutly amazing, and this one follows suit. to me it felt like an extension of the book, a story we never got to read. However the way the story played out, it doesnt follow the same line as the WWZ book.

in short, go and spend the $7 matinee price.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I only allow myself to about 2 movies per year. So when my son wanted me to take him, I was a little leery of a Brad Pitt flick I was not disappointed. The movie picks up really fast, not much screwing around planting the plot. I think its awesome how it rightfully portrays that in an emergency scenario every decision you make can cost you your life or preserve it. Oh and I'd like to seen a sub plot for revenge on the Navy officer who did that to his wife and kids. I have read that the movie was a loose portrayal of Brook's book. The movie is very good and worth seeing for sure.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    Most of the time I wait for it on redbox. Just something about paying $30+ to see a crappy(most of them) movie,really turns me off.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    Most of the time I wait for it on redbox. Just something about paying $30+ to see a crappy(most of them) movie,really turns me off.

I did the matinee at the drafthouse. Spent less than $20 for the movie and 2pints of beer.

There was alot of edge of your seat moments in the movie. I think it was put together well.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio

Too true. For us, me wife and kid, it runs close to $50 so we see few movies (3-4) a year but some movies (Iron Man) just need a big screen to be enjoyed. Comedies and dramas can wait for redbox or the Dollar (really $2) Theater.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I think the part that got him to puke was when the aircraft crashed and Pitt got a piece of structure shoved through his belly. That's when the guy took off.

Flash

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    The camera shaking/moving so fast really killed it for me. That to me is not a good sign of a good movie. It can be overdone and lose its effectiveness.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    We saw it yesterday at the Drafthouse. I didn't think much of it. Have a hard time turning my brain off in movies.

1. T-boned at full speed with your little girl sitting in the floorboard and she walks away?

2. One handed knife swing chops off entire wrist?

3. Walks miles and miles with 18" piece of metal impaled through torso, after dropping from 8 feet?

4. Sat phone battery which pilot pronounced dead in prior scene powers right on and makes life-saving phone call?

5. Magically picks the right serum out of 200 other bottles?

Guess I should have known what I was getting into, since the entire movie premise involves zombies.

PS: I sure would rather fight walkers from WD than WWZ zekes.

Miloe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    DFW
    Didn't care for the way the zombies would bite someone and immediately run and bite someone else.
    No eating people for these zombies, guess that would have upped the rating or something.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    We liked the movie - one of the best zombie movies I've ever seen.

I did laugh at the Pepsi product placement late in the movie. Wow, really blatant!

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    We liked the movie - one of the best zombie movies I've ever seen.

I did laugh at the Pepsi product placement late in the movie. Wow, really blatant!

Except that he drank a grape soda while he was standing at the machine, and then hit the lever lever and all that came out were Pepsis.

Last edited:

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I know I'm a few days late but I can't help but comment.

I read the book as soon as it came out a few years ago. There's actually a prequel to WWZ called "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks. IMO, the survival guide was much better than WWZ because it was informative, funny, and just downright cool. The book and movie have absolutely no correlation whatsoever. The book is just a compilation of firsthand accounts of people experiencing the zombie war. I'm not saying not to read WWZ but don't expect the book and movie to have anything to do with each other. All in all, both books and the movie are great entertainment and I will definitely read/watch them again.

Sent from the middle of a field somewhere

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I bought the zombie survival guide just cause I figure it'll have some good general knowledge in it. Never even heard of world war z till the movie came out.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I use to have the zombie survival guide on my kindle before it got broke. Pretty entertaining read.

Also read another of his books that was composed of zombies through out human history and found it to be pretty good if your in to that stuff.

Lots of stories based around just enough fact and real events to make it believable while your reading.

It's obvious he puts a lot of thought in to his books to tie in some reality.

Top Bottom