• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    I'm very new to handguns and I just did my CHL so I took a class today to better learn how to work with a handgun outside of killing paper targets. The class I took was Proactive Defenses' CHL defensive shooting class

The class is about 4 hours long and is all done on a tactical range. You are taken from the bare basics of a hard guard position to safely drawing and presenting your weapon to shooting at moving targets while moving. You'll also learn how to do speed reloads. You'll go through 200+ rounds (Chris asks for at least 150), I over loaded my mags just to for the hell of it.

Other bits of practical information were dispensensed throughout the class. Things like an attacker with a knife can close 20 feet before you can draw your weapon. Which is why you learn to draw and shoot while moving. Also, even after being hit a person won't necassarily go down immediately. It can take as much as 10 seconds to go down. Which is why we are generous with our ammo and deliver at least 2 to the chest. If that doesnt convince the fella that he choose poorly you give him one in face.

Accuracy with a handgun isnt an issue for me. However, it came up was that while I'm very accurate I take too much time. Chris started pressuring me to get on target faster and get the shots off quicker even if that mean a bigger group or even dropping one in to the -2 ring. I think continued practice will allow me to get on target faster and stay inside the upper chest.

I was surprised that the class was mostly women. There were 6 people: 2 men and 4 women. Also, the two assistants were women. They helped deal with some of the concealment options specific to women while us menfolk discussed how to deal with drawing from concealment (hoodies arent great for concealment).

Almost forgot that we dealt with shooting with our reaction side - I shoot eitherside so it wasnt a big deal to me, but it was fun.

Finally - the tactical range is available whenever you want as long as Chris or one of the proactive defense people are around to observe. It costs money, but it's a nice option instead of shooting from the benchs down on the range.

Sorry this isn't better organized. Mr. Daniels is visiting and I'm not writing a friggin article for publication right now.
    DK Firearms

Top Bottom