• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    This morning at 11am, I ventured out to see the "Free State Of Jones" at the Senior cheap, matinee. For $5.50, I hooked up with a pretty good flick!

The flick starts with our star (MM- Mathew McConaughey) serving as a Nurse on the Southern side during a battle. It's pretty graphic and shocking as we see men being blown to pieces and limbs being amputated. If you're steeled to this type of violence, it may test your threshold. This is some gritty, battlefield filming!

MM leaves his post when a boy from home and MM have a reunion. The kid is scared stiff, was drafted into service and had zero training. MM decides to save the kid's life. Fortune doesn't smile on that task and the kid is killed. MM deserts the Army to take the body of the boy back to his mother.

Many misadventures follow and when MM arrives home, he finds the Southern Army has been raiding each household to "Tax" them for the war effort. They left their own people nothing to eat!

At about the same time, through a series of conflicts because he is a deserter, he ties up with a band of escaped slaves and gets wrapped up in their brutal and horrible plight. MM gets involved in a big way and organizes the common folk to resist the Southern robbers and to change life for the slaves. There are several scenes that made me want to cheer!

The people of the area in Mississippi were harmed by north and south troops so they wondered what they were fighting for. They formed their own state: "The Free State of Jones (County)."

After the war, things didn't get better so the tale continues up to 1876.

It's interesting how the story is told in two concurrent levels. One story is the Civil War era and the other in the deep, segregated South in more modern times. It's a very interesting perspective as the stories are examined. I don't want to spoil it for you.

Language was pretty clean, violence was graphic and plentiful. Some of the facets of segregation then and now were hard to watch.

I loved the flick! There was much to learn and the layers of stories kept things interesting. I rate this flick an A+ and expect to see it well represented in the Oscar awards.

Costumes were authentic. Rifles were not authentic. Many current styles of muzzle loaders were seen. These are short barrel, big bore rifles like the Thompson Hawken.

The flick is well over 2 hours long. Sit where the bathroom is handy.

Please consider this movie. It's a good investment of time and for mature young folks it could be an accurate view into how things were.

Flash
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:
    Top Bottom