Reviews of HDTVs?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Video Games' started by Texas1911, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Anyone have a HDTV? If so, which did you choose and why? Was it a DLP, LCD, or Plasma and has it delivered the performance you were looking for?

I was looking into a 40" Samsung 15K:1 contrast TV for when I decide to migrate. I've liked Samsung's product since they moved to the Austin area. I have a current CRT TV that has been going strong for over a decade, and two of my past monitors have been built by Samsung and have had good, sharp pictures for a fair price.

2. LHB1

LHB1 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    We've been looking at a Sony Bravia XBR 52" LCD HDTV but haven't "pulled the trigger" yet. Our current Sony TV is only 3 yrs old and we are on cable so our service should continue unabated past Feb 17, 2009. However, I suspect we will buy the new Sony sometime in the next 12 months. Am now trying to decide between staying on the cable and getting into Direct TV with an outside dish. Any feedback on the latter setup as compared to cable? Someone said that cable High Definition is only 720 pixel instead of full 1080 pixel. If we pay for High Definition TV, I definitely want the full high definition signal/picture.

3. TXB4Z

TXB4Z Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Austin, Tx
    I have a Samsung DLP HDTV and love it but really wish I had gone with a LCD or plasma. The picture is great and I love the TV but DLP is a fading technology and LCD's and plasma's are getting pretty damn cheap.

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The HD signal is considerably better, especially on the larger TV's. I don't know the entire dynamics behind it as well as others, but the current resolution is 480 lines. The 720 lines offer an increase of 33% in picture quality and color correction.

There are also differences in interlaced (1080i) and progressive (1080p) methods as well.

5. LHB1

LHB1 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks. It's impossible to get all the facts from websites or salespeople because they only tell you the good side of their product . They also omit a LOT of useful info which might cause you to buy something else. That's why I'm taking my time before splurging for a big wide screen HDTV and cable/dish setup. Any other helpful info? Any insiders here from TV or broadcasting backgrounds?

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    (512) 250-8811 - Ask for Matt in Sales, tell him Alan from SPL sent you. He's a straight shooter and can answer your questions. Guy knows more about HDTV's than the manufacturers probably, lol.

7. ironman45693

ironman45693 Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Austin
    Back in '03 i bought a Panasonic 50in LCD projection tv. It has good deminsions; its only 16in deep, not near a flat panel, but pretty good, and it only weighs 90lbs. The only thing I don't like about it is that the light bulb burns out every 3 to 5 years or so depending on use, and they cost about $300. At the time I bought it, I got it for a steal at 3000otd plus four year warranty. The flat panels were still around 10g's at the time. My next tv will be an LCD flat panel because in my opinion LCDs kick plasmas' in the balls.

8. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I bought a Samsung 47 inch HDTV (projection) a few years back. 2 years later it needed a $400.00 convergence repair (which it didn't get). I catapulted it over the castle wall and bought a 56 inch Sony LCD machine. (720p / 1080i) Much better picture quality and it hasn't missed a lick... yet.

As far as 1080p goes. There is almost no content out there than can take advantage of that resolution. Best hdtv broadcast stuff is 720p with no upgrade in sight. (1080i is actually less resolution than 720p) Even BluRay movies are primarily 720p in actual output. (read the fine print folks) It's a technology probably best paid for on your next set purchase after this one if broadcast technology catches up with it. Right now it is all sales hype. (and more expensive) If you can get it for a good price - go for it. Just don't pay extra for it thinking it will give you better performance.

Not just my opinion here... go read up on it.

9. Longtooths

Longtooths Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Irving, Texas
    After much research I recently bought the Sony 46" Bravia 1080p HD flat panel TV. I could not be happier, this TV is crystal clear and beautiful. I highly recommend the Sony Bravia brand.

10. The Kicker Guy

The Kicker Guy Member

Feb 23, 2008
    I've been through about 5 different plasmas, and finally settled on a Panny 50". I've been incredibly happy with it. I had 2 Sanyo's, they were terrible. Next was a Phillips, it sucked too. I had a Samsung, which overall was a good TV, but the green reproductions were washed out, however everything else looked great. I finally ended up with the Panny and love it. It's 98% performance of a Pioneer, with half the price. I also have a Vizio LCD for my bedroom, that's proven to be a decent lower end TV.