• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Anyone have a HDTV? If so, which did you choose and why? Was it a DLP, LCD, or Plasma and has it delivered the performance you were looking for?

I was looking into a 40" Samsung 15K:1 contrast TV for when I decide to migrate. I've liked Samsung's product since they moved to the Austin area. I have a current CRT TV that has been going strong for over a decade, and two of my past monitors have been built by Samsung and have had good, sharp pictures for a fair price.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    We've been looking at a Sony Bravia XBR 52" LCD HDTV but haven't "pulled the trigger" yet. Our current Sony TV is only 3 yrs old and we are on cable so our service should continue unabated past Feb 17, 2009. However, I suspect we will buy the new Sony sometime in the next 12 months. Am now trying to decide between staying on the cable and getting into Direct TV with an outside dish. Any feedback on the latter setup as compared to cable? Someone said that cable High Definition is only 720 pixel instead of full 1080 pixel. If we pay for High Definition TV, I definitely want the full high definition signal/picture.

TXB4Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Austin, Tx
    I have a Samsung DLP HDTV and love it but really wish I had gone with a LCD or plasma. The picture is great and I love the TV but DLP is a fading technology and LCD's and plasma's are getting pretty damn cheap.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    We've been looking at a Sony Bravia XBR 52" LCD HDTV but haven't "pulled the trigger" yet. Our current Sony TV is only 3 yrs old and we are on cable so our service should continue unabated past Feb 17, 2009. However, I suspect we will buy the new Sony sometime in the next 12 months. Am now trying to decide between staying on the cable and getting into Direct TV with an outside dish. Any feedback on the latter setup as compared to cable? Someone said that cable High Definition is only 720 pixel instead of full 1080 pixel. If we pay for High Definition TV, I definitely want the full high definition signal/picture.

The HD signal is considerably better, especially on the larger TV's. I don't know the entire dynamics behind it as well as others, but the current resolution is 480 lines. The 720 lines offer an increase of 33% in picture quality and color correction.

There are also differences in interlaced (1080i) and progressive (1080p) methods as well.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    The HD signal is considerably better, especially on the larger TV's. I don't know the entire dynamics behind it as well as others, but the current resolution is 480 lines. The 720 lines offer an increase of 33% in picture quality and color correction.

There are also differences in interlaced (1080i) and progressive (1080p) methods as well.

Thanks. It's impossible to get all the facts from websites or salespeople because they only tell you the good side of their product . They also omit a LOT of useful info which might cause you to buy something else. That's why I'm taking my time before splurging for a big wide screen HDTV and cable/dish setup. Any other helpful info? Any insiders here from TV or broadcasting backgrounds?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Thanks. It's impossible to get all the facts from websites or salespeople because they only tell you the good side of their product . They also omit a LOT of useful info which might cause you to buy something else. That's why I'm taking my time before splurging for a big wide screen HDTV and cable/dish setup. Any other helpful info? Any insiders here from TV or broadcasting backgrounds?

(512) 250-8811 - Ask for Matt in Sales, tell him Alan from SPL sent you. He's a straight shooter and can answer your questions. Guy knows more about HDTV's than the manufacturers probably, lol.

ironman45693

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Austin
    Back in '03 i bought a Panasonic 50in LCD projection tv. It has good deminsions; its only 16in deep, not near a flat panel, but pretty good, and it only weighs 90lbs. The only thing I don't like about it is that the light bulb burns out every 3 to 5 years or so depending on use, and they cost about $300. At the time I bought it, I got it for a steal at 3000otd plus four year warranty. The flat panels were still around 10g's at the time. My next tv will be an LCD flat panel because in my opinion LCDs kick plasmas' in the balls.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I bought a Samsung 47 inch HDTV (projection) a few years back. 2 years later it needed a $400.00 convergence repair (which it didn't get). I catapulted it over the castle wall and bought a 56 inch Sony LCD machine. (720p / 1080i) Much better picture quality and it hasn't missed a lick... yet.

As far as 1080p goes. There is almost no content out there than can take advantage of that resolution. Best hdtv broadcast stuff is 720p with no upgrade in sight. (1080i is actually less resolution than 720p) Even BluRay movies are primarily 720p in actual output. (read the fine print folks) It's a technology probably best paid for on your next set purchase after this one if broadcast technology catches up with it. Right now it is all sales hype. (and more expensive) If you can get it for a good price - go for it. Just don't pay extra for it thinking it will give you better performance.

Not just my opinion here... go read up on it.

Longtooths

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Irving, Texas
    After much research I recently bought the Sony 46" Bravia 1080p HD flat panel TV. I could not be happier, this TV is crystal clear and beautiful. I highly recommend the Sony Bravia brand.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    I've been through about 5 different plasmas, and finally settled on a Panny 50". I've been incredibly happy with it. I had 2 Sanyo's, they were terrible. Next was a Phillips, it sucked too. I had a Samsung, which overall was a good TV, but the green reproductions were washed out, however everything else looked great. I finally ended up with the Panny and love it. It's 98% performance of a Pioneer, with half the price. I also have a Vizio LCD for my bedroom, that's proven to be a decent lower end TV.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I went 50" Panny also. Very pleased so far.

Keep in mind, 1080p is a lot of marketing hype, to a point. Sure, it is what it is so it looks awesome, but if you put a 720P (which is HD, Full HD isn't real) and a 1080p side by side, you'd have to be within 5' to start to tell a difference. At a normal viewing distance, the human eye can't tell the difference.

Plasma is still king, although LCD is making leaps and bounds. I was anti-Plasma until I learned and researched for myself, that LCD was being marketed so heavy and Plasma wasn't so LCD seemed to be the king. Not so. It's still what everyone shoots for.

Another thing to watch for is signal processing. NOw I'm not an expert so I can't go into all the specs and techy stuff, but I can surely say this. Some of the hot marketed 1080p TV's blow chunks when trying to process SD, normal TV signals. Our Panny of course looks much better, awesome actually, with HD, but SD regular old TV also looks good.

And, most of them have speakers that suck, so get ready to spend on HT equipment, but if you do it right, you can spend very little for an incredible system. I just sent through it. Tip: the Sub is the most important piece, don't buy cheap. It's the only thing I paid full price for but it's an HSU and blew me away at what it did.

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    JK, the blowage on regular TV channels is what has kept me from buying any HD TV. My whole family has bought HD TV's of different makes. Watching some of the regular channels sucks balls compared to my old JVC TV. If the new HD's have good showing of regular channels instead of looking like bugs are crawling on the screen, I'll look into getting one.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    JK, the blowage on regular TV channels is what has kept me from buying any HD TV. My whole family has bought HD TV's of different makes. Watching some of the regular channels sucks balls compared to my old JVC TV. If the new HD's have good showing of regular channels instead of looking like bugs are crawling on the screen, I'll look into getting one.

SOme do, some don't. The ones on Sale at Sears, Best Buy, Conn's etc. usually don't. You can spend $1100 on a 50" Plasma but don't expect to get greatness. The one I got sold for $2100-$2500 in stores (not the exact one, as the one I got has a special coated anti-glare screen that's awesome but it's only about $100 more) and a buddy was pissed that I didn't call him so he could hook me up with the guy that sold him his 2 for almost half that.

I wanted more quality and signal processing was important, so now we see SD TV much better with our Panasonic. :D

BTW, it'll take research, but I bought mine from Amazon for about $400-$600 less than anywhere else, and while it was scary buying one on-line sight unseen, it was an awesome buying experaince aside from it being a quality TV at a great price.

si vis pacem para b

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    a/v guy here

I own an audio visual / security company if you guys ever have any questions on a particular piece of equipment let me know. Also if you are at the point where you are ready to pull the trigger on a piece of equipment or security monitoring and live in the Houston area give me a shout I may be able to save you a few bucks.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I bought a Toshiba Regza 52" LCD and could not be happier with it. I have an antenna and have never had cable in my life! The picture is stunning in HD especially in news broadcasts and for the intro of CSI Miami and other HD shows. Definitely some "WOW" appeal there.

I have heard that antenna reception is great as the signal is not compressed for transmission. It sure works for me!

The antenna that I currently use is very old and it was well hammered by Hurricane IKE. A couple of the radials are even missing! I bought a new HD antenna and mast and have been waiting for cooler weather to install it. I can't wait to see the difference with a proper antenna!

I went with the LCD due to the lower power consumption and lower heat radiation. It was a good choice for me. I've had it for about 7 months and give it a full 5 stars.

Flash

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston

Mike @ CPE 713-699-0213

Eli

Top Bottom