• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OIF2

Well-Known
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    There's a pretty good article on revolvers ("Revolvers still viable") on TacticalGunFan.com. Probably some folks here will agree with the author.
    Bob
    Gun Zone Deals

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Call me a mall ninja but, honestly I just think the average revolver is pretty lame. Maybe I watched one too many Rambo or Die Hard movies as a kid but, if it's not a semi auto handgun, assault rifle, milsurp, or certain other oddball guns I don't like it nearly as much. I have a healthy respect for classic and antique stuff but, revolvers don't do anything for me. Exceptions of course are big caliber revolvers (cool because they are excessive and ridiculous), or unique stuff like the S&W titanium cylinder lightweight .357mag and .44mag revolvers. Plain jane revolvers just don't look cool to me. Maybe I'm superficial, but looks cool is definitely a factor. ;) lol j/k

As we all well know, it is an entirely plausible possibility that you may come face to face with 10-20 terrorists, all armed with AK47's and no fear, in which you may be forced to expend at least 150 rounds from your carry gun in a running gun battle through downtown. So you might as well prepare for it with Glocks and an ample supply of 33rd mags, possibly an M4 in the trunk you can fight your way back to (don't forget the beta c's), and of course a Eagle plate carrier with standalone level IV plates disguised to look like the average tan camping/fishing vest. In fact, you may want to upgrade the rear springs in your vehicle as you will likely need to have a resupply of at least 1000rds just in case it becomes a prolonged gun battle. Yes, this is entirely possible. j/k

boycan

Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    Call me a mall ninja but, honestly I just think the average revolver is pretty lame. Maybe I watched one too many Rambo or Die Hard movies as a kid but, if it's not a semi auto handgun, assault rifle, milsurp, or certain other oddball guns I don't like it nearly as much. I have a healthy respect for classic and antique stuff but, revolvers don't do anything for me. Exceptions of course are big caliber revolvers (cool because they are excessive and ridiculous), or unique stuff like the S&W titanium cylinder lightweight .357mag and .44mag revolvers. Plain jane revolvers just don't look cool to me. Maybe I'm superficial, but looks cool is definitely a factor. ;) lol j/k

As we all well know, it is an entirely plausible possibility that you may come face to face with 10-20 terrorists, all armed with AK47's and no fear, in which you may be forced to expend at least 150 rounds from your carry gun in a running gun battle through downtown. So you might as well prepare for it with Glocks and an ample supply of 33rd mags, possibly an M4 in the trunk you can fight your way back to (don't forget the beta c's), and of course a Eagle plate carrier with standalone level IV plates disguised to look like the average tan camping/fishing vest. In fact, you may want to upgrade the rear springs in your vehicle as you will likely need to have a resupply of at least 1000rds just in case it becomes a prolonged gun battle. Yes, this is entirely possible. j/k

Mad Mo with his Fourty four and myself with my fourty five got your back dude! :patriot: You may just need an extra twelve rounds!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've decided I need to get back to my "roots" and pick up a medium-frame revolver. I really enjoy shooting them.

Not that I need another handgun. My P220 and I get along really nicely. I just like shooting wheelguns.

Two rather good writeups in defending revolvers in this modern age. This guy also was published in Dillon's Blue Press recently with a piece called In Defense of the Revolver or something like that.

die hard at the costco. the munchkin wrangler.
    the j is more than ok. the munchkin wrangler.

Whatever you choose, learn it well. I don't care if it is a five-shot J frame .38 (I have one!), if you can use it well, you're definitely on the proper end of the bell curve.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I want to get another single action revolver 45LC, 357mag, or 44 mag I have always liked the look and feel of an old school wheel gun. I had a 44 cal replica black powder cap and ball revolver but I want a cartridge gun for the next one. Like I said they have a certain feel about them that I have always been drawn to.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Interesting article. I don't agree with a lot of it.

I don't think revolvers are easier to shoot. I actually think most double actions are quite the opposite (are you gonna shoot single action in a fight?).

I don't think revolvers are any cheaper than many of the lower end, quality guns.

I know most situations only require a couple shots, but why have only 5 or 6 (or 7)when you could easily have 15.

I would rather have more punch than a 38, and that part about 38 special being on the store shelves is simply not true. I'd be plenty happy with a .357 mag.

I'm not saying I wouldn't own a revolver and that they aren't an option, I just think that semi-auto's are just a better option for a combat gun.

I think I need to have a mall ninga smiley face. : P

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Everyone has to tote what they feel comfortable with. I like the Sp101 in 357 Mag for all-round carry (Ranch & Road)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom