ARJ Defense ad

Revolver cylinder waxing (smokeless powder)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    ... means adding a dab of wax to each chamber of the forward face of the cylinder. Somewhat commonly done with blackpowder revolvers to help prevent chain ignition of adjacent chambers, and maybe also to seal from moisture.

I've never heard of anyone cylinder waxing with modern firearms and smokeless powder. But I wonder if it might help prevent barrel leading when shooting hardcast (non-jacketed) lead bullets.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?
    Target Sports

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Speaking with the guy who convinced me to reload, in the past, as he isn't coming into the office anymore, he said something about Crisco shortening, and COW (Cream of Wheat) to prevent chain-fires in regards to BP(?)...

I am not familiar with the subject, but that is the direction I recall PB shooting going, at least with him, and he said these two components were common amongst PB shooters?

Take it with a grain of salt, but maybe lookd up "COW", "Crisco" "BP" as keywords in a Gargler search...
    EDIT-CORRECTION per a Gargler search...: COW "black powder" crisco

Last edited:

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Speaking with the guy who convinced me to reload, in the past, as he isn't coming into the office anymore, he said something about Crisco shortening, and COW (Cream of Wheat) to prevent chain-fires in regards to BP(?)...

I am not familiar with the subject, but that is the direction I recall PB shooting going, at least with him, and he said these two components were common amongst PB shooters?

Take it with a grain of salt, but maybe lookd up "COW", "Crisco" "BP" as keywords in a Gargler search...
    EDIT-CORRECTION per a Gargler search...: COW "black powder" crisco
    Welcome to the forum Alpha.Geek. And thanks for the response to this thread.
    I encourage you to start an "introduction thread" for yourself in the General Forum - Introductions subject. We like to hear a bit about new members and have a little more formal way to welcome them.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    ... means adding a dab of wax to each chamber of the forward face of the cylinder. Somewhat commonly done with blackpowder revolvers to help prevent chain ignition of adjacent chambers, and maybe also to seal from moisture.

I've never heard of anyone cylinder waxing with modern firearms and smokeless powder. But I wonder if it might help prevent barrel leading when shooting hardcast (non-jacketed) lead bullets.

sounds like a dirt magnet, considering that modern revolvers don't really need such things and the best way to reduce leading is to shoot jacketed ammunition.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Leading in revolvers is due to either gas blow by on bullets with a poor fit or bullets too soft for the load so I don't think putting anything covering the chambers is going to help that. I think it will just foul the gun unnecessarily.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    ... means adding a dab of wax to each chamber of the forward face of the cylinder. I wonder if it might help prevent barrel leading when shooting hardcast (non-jacketed) lead bullets.

This is an interesting idea.

I personally have not done this for any of my cartridge-based firearms since the benefits appear to only be for black powder revolvers which I no longer shoot. I powder coat ALL of my hard cast bullets, so I rarely (if ever) have leading issues in my barrels/chambers since powder coat holds firm to the lead from the barrel to the berm.

My advice to you is to give it a try and tell us how the performance changes. Shoot a few control shots, check for accuracy and lead fouling; then shoot another group with the wax and look for any considerable changes. Who knows, you might be on to something here.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    N o. Do not do this cast bullets have lube already in the grooves cast into the bullet. There is no need for any additional wax and may cause increased pressures and drop in accuracy. Nowhere in the Lyman cast bullet reloading manuals nor any other manual even opens this door.

The reason black powder shooters who load ball projectles close the cylinder mouth with grease is cast or extruded ball projectiles do not have a lube ring. The balls used are slightly oversized to cylinder face opening and as they are rammed home, a tiny ring of lead is sheared off the extreme diameter and that is the onlt seal to cylinder wall. The grease is used to prevent a cylinder flashing off and to lube the ball. Cartridge BP shooters shoot cast bullets with a soft lube in the lube grooves and because of that no additional lube is used

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    N o. Do not do this cast bullets have lube already in the grooves cast into the bullet. There is no need for any additional wax and may cause increased pressures and drop in accuracy. Nowhere in the Lyman cast bullet reloading manuals nor any other manual even opens this door.

The reason black powder shooters who load ball projectles close the cylinder mouth with grease is cast or extruded ball projectiles do not have a lube ring. The balls used are slightly oversized to cylinder face opening and as they are rammed home, a tiny ring of lead is sheared off the extreme diameter and that is the onlt seal to cylinder wall. The grease is used to prevent a cylinder flashing off and to lube the ball. Cartridge BP shooters shoot cast bullets with a soft lube in the lube grooves and because of that no additional lube is used

Listen to this man. He is wise.

Top Bottom