• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasFats

Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I am looking for a .357 Maggie with either a 4" or a 6" barrel. Anybody got any suggestions? I am considering either a S&W model 27 or a Ruger GP100. If I could find a used model 27, without the lawyer lock, I might just snap it up. I know that Smith is bringing the 27 back in their classic line, but I hate those locks on the new S&W's. But, used model 27's seem to be scarce as hen's teeth. Any suggestions?

oldcop041

Sep 16, 2008
    DFW AREA
    How about a pre lock Model 28. Basically the same gun as the Model 27, but with a with a duller finish. There is a big difference between the frame size of the GP100 and a model 27/29 (N frame).
    I carried a Model 19 - and later Model 66 (K frame) for many years. I like the K and L frame S&W's a lot. I have a Model 581 (L frame) that is a great shooter.
    Here are some fixed sight Smith & Wessons. The top two are N frames.
    FIXEDSIGHTS003.jpg

target4fun

BANNED!!!
    Sep 13, 2008
    San Antonio
    What ever "revolver" that fits nice in your hand also check out taurus there revolvers are a good buy for the money, but the smith will have more resell "name" value, and a better trigger out of the box.

Hope this has helped!

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    It is one of my favorite calibers, any of the previous firearms listed are fine. I have Smith's, Colts, Rugers, love em' all.

I would suggest you shoot as many as you can, decide upon the one that you feel the best with and practice, practice, practice. The joy is in the quest.

idleprocess

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I am looking for a .357 Maggie with either a 4" or a 6" barrel. Anybody got any suggestions? I am considering either a S&W model 27 or a Ruger GP100. If I could find a used model 27, without the lawyer lock, I might just snap it up. I know that Smith is bringing the 27 back in their classic line, but I hate those locks on the new S&W's. But, used model 27's seem to be scarce as hen's teeth. Any suggestions?

I'm fond of my 4" barrel GP100. Built like a tank, decent ergonomics.

Mark F

Aug 21, 2008

There is no shortage of .357 Magnums... Everyone makes at least several frame sizes. My personal favorites are the S&W 686 6" barrel, and I carry a Colt King Cobra 4" barrel. BUt Ruger, Rossi, Taurus, and several others make nice .357's too...

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 4, 2008
    IMHO get one that is stainless as it will hold its value more than a blued version.S&W makes a great revolver or a used Colt Python would also be a good choice.I have a registered 27 but do not shoot it because it is a collector's gun.

txpete

Mar 17, 2008
    ft hood
    my vote goes for a gp100 4 " barrel.stout accurate great revolver.
    pete

you can shoot loads in these that would rattle a smith loose
    gp100002.gif

bikerbill

Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    got two currently, one's a snubbie, the other a 686+ with a 4-inch barrel ... i love that gun, one of only two in my small collection that I will never sell ... tried one? they are a delight to shoot, very accurate, swapped out the finger grips and it was the perfect revolver ...

TexasFats

Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag

Already got one. I have installed a Hogue Monogrip on it. The stock, wood grips are not too good for my hands. I kinda wish that I had bought the Super Blackhawk that I looked at that day instead. I had one once, before I sold it for school money 20 years ago.

Top Bottom