• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donnygruber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Big Sandy
    I'm getting ready to take my CHL class and everyone is telling me that I need to use a semi auto handgun for it. All I own is revolvers and I have never gotton on the semi auto band wagon. I know that if I go with my revolver that is all I will be licensed to carry which is fine with me. I'd would like to know if later on I can add the semi to my license if I feel the need or am I forever stuck with the one type?
    Lynx Defense

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    You could always just borrow one of your buddies semi autos to take the shooting portion of the class with so you'll have SA on your license. There is no rule that says that the firearm you use for your shooting test has to belong to you. Then you won't have to worry about it.

I don't think you can go back and add it later. I may be wrong but I really don't think so.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Take the revolver since you are comfortable with it. Later, if you want a "semi" permit, just re-take the CHL class and submit the paperwork and fees.

It is no shame to have a "revolver" CHL.

There were no semi-automatics when Texas declared its independence from Mexico!

donnygruber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Big Sandy
    Take the revolver since you are comfortable with it. Later, if you want a "semi" permit, just re-take the CHL class and submit the paperwork and fees.

It is no shame to have a "revolver" CHL.

There were no semi-automatics when Texas declared its independence from Mexico!

It's been a long time since Texas declared independence from Mexico my friend.

I just figured I'd have to take the shooting portion again. If its the whole class and resubmit paperwork maybe id be better off doing it with a semi auto in the first place. I really dont see why the make it a difference.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    There was no internet during the revolution to distribute asinine comments either, but now....

Use a semi so that either option is available to you. When the time comes and you want or NEED a semi due to situation, there won't be a 6 week delay to protect yourself.

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Rent a semi auto and practice. Take the shooting test with semi auto. Then carry what you want, revolver. Knowing that you can switch at any point in time without the added hassle of getting it changed to semi auto in the future.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    If you have it, take the range qual with a semi-auto. That will allow you to carry either a semi or a revolver. I'm a wheel gun kind a guy so I took my original and my first renewal with a revolver. I finally found a semi that I like and wish that I could carry it. I'm debating modifying my CHL or just waiting until 2015 for my next renewal.

Avoid the headache and take your semi.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am a CHL Iinstructor. If you qualify with a revolver you will have a NSA category license. That means non-semi-auto. If you, at some point, decide you want to be able to carry a semi, then you qualify with a semi-auto with an instructor and apply for a modified license. Piece of cake. I did one for a lady last month.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    If you're proficient with a revolver, I would suggest you find a semi auto that seems to fit your hand right and points well for you. If you can shoot a revolver, passing the shooting portion with a semi-auto will be a piece of cake.

I am a CHL Iinstructor. If you qualify with a revolver you will have a NSA category license. That means non-semi-auto. If you, at some point, decide you want to be able to carry a semi, then you qualify with a semi-auto with an instructor and apply for a modified license. Piece of cake. I did one for a lady last month.

And how much does it cost for the modification compared to just renting a semi-auto from a CHL instructor up front? It's good information that it's that easy to do, but if the OP thought it was worth bringing up to begin with, I would think it would be worth not getting the NSA restriction.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If you're proficient with a revolver, I would suggest you find a semi auto that seems to fit your hand right and points well for you. If you can shoot a revolver, passing the shooting portion with a semi-auto will be a piece of cake.

And how much does it cost for the modification compared to just renting a semi-auto from a CHL instructor up front? It's good information that it's that easy to do, but if the OP thought it was worth bringing up to begin with, I would think it would be worth not getting the NSA restriction.

Depends on the instructor. The one I took a class with was handing autos to people who'd showed up with revolvers to make them qualify without restrictions.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

And how much does it cost for the modification compared to just renting a semi-auto from a CHL instructor up front? It's good information that it's that easy to do, but if

the OP thought it was worth bringing up to begin with, I would think it would be worth not getting the NSA restriction.

I am not a mind reader. I answered his question. He did not ask what any of us think he should do.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I am not a mind reader. I answered his question. He did not ask what any of us think he should do.

And from OP...
    I'd would like to know if later on I can add the semi to my license if I feel the need or am I forever stuck with the one type?
    So I'm kinda thinkin' he did ask for help up front. BUT ... I coulda stepped back into the thread at the wrong time too. LOL

Glockmann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Kyle
    Hello everybody... Newbie here. Hey donnygruber where are you going to take your chl class? I'm looking into taking a class pretty soon for my chl as well.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Test with SA. That way if you change your mind, you have the option to carry SA. If you test out revolver, you're stuck with it.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Something to ponder if you do decide to use a SA. There are semi autos that have trigger systems that shoot very close to that of revolvers. Sig's with the DAK system, and HK's with LEM to name a couple. I would suggest you stay away from DA/SA systems. Not that they are bad, but it takes awhile for most people to become proficient with the trigger pull transition from DA to SA. I think you could get proficent with a striker fired or even a SAO more quickly.. That said, the shooting portion of the CHL exam very easy.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    I'm "stuck" with my revolvers...but I don't feel sorry for myself. Maybe I don't know any better.
    Bob

8-1.jpg

Top Bottom