• ...and so much more!
  • lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    As usual, this guy has the correct answer:
    I am a CHL Iinstructor. If you qualify with a revolver you will have a NSA category license. That means non-semi-auto. If you, at some point, decide you want to be able to carry a semi, then you qualify with a semi-auto with an instructor and apply for a modified license. Piece of cake. I did one for a lady last month.

Qualify with whichever of your revolvers that you are most comfortable and proficient with.
    If you decide in the future that you wish to carry a semi-automatic, you just contact your old CHL instructor (if you're happy with the class you took ), tell them you want to modify your license to SA, and find out when you can go in and retake that portion of the test.
    It's a snap.

OP, you're near enough to Dallas, where txinvestigator is at. I'd shoot him a PM with any other questions if I was you. He can probably even recommend a good class for you.
    DK Firearms

donnygruber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Big Sandy
    I really appreciate everyone's input. It seems it is not quite as complicated as I thought. I've pretty much decided that im going to borrow one of my brother's pistols and take the test in semi auto even though 99% of the time ill be carrying a revolver.

I'll be taking my class with John Coblentz in Lindale.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm "stuck" with my revolvers...but I don't feel sorry for myself. Maybe I don't know any better.
    Bob

8-1.jpg

Just curious, what black grips are those? I threw some of the same size Hogue grips on my 642. Even though I never really carry it, I couldn't find anything that size but also smooth or at least non-rubbery and not wood.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Just curious, what black grips are those? I threw some of the same size Hogue grips on my 642. Even though I never really carry it, I couldn't find anything that size but also smooth or at least non-rubbery and not wood.

Those stocks were made for me when I was a Los Angeles cop...the maker, John Hurst, was a retired LAPD copper and champion competitive shooter who had his own ideas on stocks for revolvers. Unfortunately, John died several years ago. Those stocks are Micarta and are the most comfortable stocks I've ever tried for a J-frame.
    Bob

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Those stocks were made for me when I was a Los Angeles cop...the maker, John Hurst, was a retired LAPD copper and champion competitive shooter who had his own ideas on stocks for revolvers. Unfortunately, John died several years ago. Those stocks are Micarta and are the most comfortable stocks I've ever tried for a J-frame.
    Bob

Hmm, that gives me an idea. I might see if someone can do some G10 grips and then put a high polish on them, as I know some people have polished G10 before. I actually had a neck knife awhile back that was made entirely out of highly polished G10, which was kind of neat.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Hmm, that gives me an idea. I might see if someone can do some G10 grips and then put a high polish on them, as I know some people have polished G10 before. I actually had a neck knife awhile back that was made entirely out of highly polished G10, which was kind of neat.

There's a guy in Canton who makes grips out of bowling ball. They're actually pretty cool and look almost identical to the ones shown above. I don't know his name but he's usually got a booth at First Monday.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I cannot imagine "making" a student use a semi-auto. Sounds pretty odd to me.

He would basically just tell them to shoot the auto instead. The reason was that it's pointless to get the restricted license, and the stupid test is so easy that there's not even a point in not shooting it with a gun you've never shot before.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    He would basically just tell them to shoot the auto instead. The reason was that it's pointless to get the restricted license, and the stupid test is so easy that there's not even a point in not shooting it with a gun you've never shot before.

I have had students that had no clue what to do with a semi auto. The class is not where we teach them. They are to come to class prepared. If that is with a revolver so be it. I prefer semi autos, but it is irresponsible to force that on others. I explain the differences and benefits of a SA license, but it is always the students choice.

F14Scott

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Katy
    The shooting qualification is so easy that I cannot imagine anyone with even the slightest bit of firearm shooting history in his background failing the test. The targets are so big and the distances are so small that I could have shot the course left-handed and cross-eyed and still easily passed.

So, the only real obstacle the OP faces, since he owns guns and has shot before, is learning the manual of arms for a borrowed pistol. Unload the gun, put away the ammo, double check it is unloaded, drop in a snap cap, and spend 30 minutes practicing loading/inserting/ejecting the mag, cycling/locking/releasing the slide, engaging and disengaging the safety, pulling the trigger. Piece of cake.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    This is too funny. The OPs question was if he could change from revolver to semi later if he started with the revolver. He did not seeed to desire to know what any of us think about his decision, or what we think he should do.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I talked to Donny on the phone yesterday (Sunday) evening. He ended up borrowing my XD .45 to qualify with and went through the class on Saturday. He said he did great and had a lot of fun in the class. Now he's just waiting on the plastic I told him that he should come on and update everyone when he gets a chance.

Top Bottom