Join TexasGunTalk

Revolver Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Charlie, Dec 28, 2013.

1. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Member

May 2, 2015
    This is what I found online:

"From Answers.com: "In May, 1948, Smith & Wesson changed their simple "Made In USA" rollmark to a more complex four line bilingual version. This was to combat the many Spanish counterfiet revolvers being produced.
    For collectors, the 4 line rollmark indicates a definite post war gun."
    As I recall from other readings and discussions over the years, S&W was getting hosed by international competitors. In the primarily South & Central American marketplaces, locals preferred owning Smith & Wesson revolvers, but were not adverse to buying/owning much cheaper rip-off clones. It's no mistake that the early Taurus revolvers introduced to the US marketplace were almost exact counterparts to certain S&W models. They were already popular in regions that historically favored Smiths (but not the high tariff associated with a real one)."

"FWIW I have been told that S&W used the mark to win a U.S. federal court case that effectively prohibited cheap Spanish copies of their revolvers from being legally imported and sold on the U.S. market. Protection of their trademarks on foreign markets was only a secondary goal, since many Latin American countries didn't respect U.S. trademarks at the time anyway.
    BTW the use of the "4-line" rollmark isn't universal anymore; newer Airweights wear a 2-line marking that reads:
    SPFLD, MA.
    S&W U.S.A."

ZX9RCAM likes this.
  2. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Member

May 2, 2015
    Haven't shot it yet. Had to hurry home for the UT game.

3. SloppyShooter

SloppyShooter Certifiable

Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    What doesn't, voto??? Prolly "Hecho in Mexico ."

Gotta be honest , first time I saw patent shnit in Espanol.

165 good men....waste of flesh.

BTW....Bet it kicks like a big boy.

4. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Member

May 2, 2015
    All reports and you tube say the recoil is very mild.

5. SloppyShooter

Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Weird, my Taurus had a heavy muzzle jump when I first shot it, and it's heavy.

6. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It's a. 22, why would it kick?

7. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    ^ this.

8. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

Those ultralight .22’s are neat-0.

Was going to get one but found a Model 63 first.

Armybrat likes this.
  9. SloppyShooter

Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Not really kick, but muzzle jump. Feel like it's trying to jump out of your hand.

Obviously, it's not going to do it like a .44 mag, but since I experienced it with a heavy pistol, I would think it would be more pronounced with a light one.

I haven't noticed that since I quit using that old ammo. ( 20 year old Remington.)

10. OIF2

OIF2 Well-Known

Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Here's something you don't see every day...Colt Metropolitan MK III in .38 Special. 3000 made in the early 70's for the NYPD, which mandated .38 Special. Great revolver, beautifully finished considering it was a "duty" gun. It's the same as the Lawman MK III but in .38.
    Bob

kOCEGMS.jpg

seeker_two, MTA89, easy rider and 2 others like this.