• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Decided I “need” a revolver. First thought was to get a Taurus or something inexpensive (came close to ordering a Taurus .44 magnum off grabagun) but I really want a S&W or Ruger. Trying to study up on different models, but the Smith and Wesson .357’s have me going in circles! There’s the model 19, the 60, and the 686! There are K frames and L frames! This may take some book learnin’ before I figure out what to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Get the Ruger and be done with it. Nothing wrong with the Smith, but the Ruger Redhawk is a fine revolver.
    Even a Blackhawk would be a great revolver, built like a tank and economical, if you were not looking for a self-defense pistol.
    Edited to say I should have said if you were not looking for a "daily carry" revolver. I would feel perfectly comfortable using a Blackhawk .44 mag for self-defense in a hiking/camping, or even nightstand situation!

Last edited:

BMF500

Well-Known
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    Yeah, I wouldn't trust a Taurus in a heavy magnum. Go for a S&W or Ruger, even if you have to save for a little while longer. They are worth it.

ETA: I had a Redhawk, blued 7-1/2" .44mag. Damn fine. The only pistol I truly regret selling.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Decided I “need” a revolver. First thought was to get a Taurus or something inexpensive (came close to ordering a Taurus .44 magnum off grabagun) but I really want a S&W or Ruger. Trying to study up on different models, but the Smith and Wesson .357’s have me going in circles! There’s the model 19, the 60, and the 686! There are K frames and L frames! This may take some book learnin’ before I figure out what to get.

Go to a range that rents handguns. Tell them what you are considering and they can rent them to you and you can then make a hand on informed decision. Of course, book study not a bad thing and you may want to do that too.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    274C778F-23AA-46EE-A28E-78848032D77E.jpeg

Ruger GP-100 in Bestmm!

Attachments

• 274C778F-23AA-46EE-A28E-78848032D77E.jpeg
      274C778F-23AA-46EE-A28E-78848032D77E.jpeg
      599.2 KB · Views: 445
    Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Feb 19, 2015
    Ruger and Smith are both good revolvers.

Personally, I generally prefer Ruger. Tougher built.

If you could find one of the older Security Sixes (no longer made), that would be a great start if you want .357.

Tactical Panda

Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    I agree with everyone else, Ruger and S&W are both great brands and you’ll be well served with either. Having said that, I’m on the Ruger and of the spectrum myself, owning both a Super Blackhawk .44 and Security Six .357.

One thing I prefer about the Ruger (at least in double action revolvers) is the cylinder release. The Ruger has a button that pushes down, as opposed to the S&W, which I believe is a sliding button.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I’m gonna get my LTC as soon as this nonsense clears up, so conceal carry is a possibility, but it would be mainly for plinking and for the nightstand. Actually I should have my LTC already, I’ve scheduled the class 3 times! First time I canceled because my daughter was coming into town for 2 days and I didn’t want to miss any time with her so I rescheduled for 2 weeks later. Then my other daughter got a handgun and wanted me to take the class with her and her boyfriend so I cancelled again and told her to let me know what class she was taking and I would sign up. Then she signed up for a class on a weeknight that I had to work! All that was in December and January, and then I never got around to scheduling again before the beer flu hit. Back to revolvers! The range I’m a member of just reopened to members for 2 hours a day last week and I had planned on going in one day this week. I’ve looked at their rentals before and I know they have a S&W 500 but I don’t recall a .357 or a 44 mag. Glad to hear all the good stuff about the Rugers for sure. I love the look of the Ruger Redhawks and Super Redhawks.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Dude. Come to one of our meets when the lockdown stops. You will be overwhelmed. For myself, I prefer the S&W's for their refinement. But if I had to absolutely rely on one, if take my GP100. They're built like tanks.

BMF500

Well-Known
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    Guess I'm the odd man out but I'd say you can't go wrong with a S&W. I like Rugers also but a well tuned Model 19 is a dream to shoot.
    No sir you're not, I do not currently own any Ruger revolvers. Had a Redhawk and SP101. Currently 3 S&W's.

I fired an S&W 500 twice.
    Once out of ignorance.
    Once out of masochism.
    Really? I have 2 revolvers & 1 rifle and shoot them all regularly.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom