Revolver

xdjerry

May 7, 2009
I am in the market looking for a dependable revolver for hd, what would y'all recommend. My experience with handgun only involves semi-auto. Thanks. :patriot::patriot::patriot:

Libertarian_Longhorn

Apr 28, 2009
I would recommend an inexpensive HD shotgun such as a Mossberg 500 over a revolver, but if restricted to a revolver, I certainly would advise you to get a Rossi or Taurus 357 Magnum. That way you can shoot both 38 special and 357 rounds. S&W has some solid 357's, but then again they acted like a bunch of French defecators during the first AWB. And they're more expensive.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
Feb 14, 2009
South Korea
The Ruger SP101 is a dream to shoot... It is so comfortable in hand and has a ready to perform weight behind it... the other plus behind it is in SA it has a feather trigger and is dead on the money... it is easy to speed load with either a speed strip or a drop in loader... I can empty the cylinder in SA mode not even bothering DA mode in about 4.5 seconds... and the best part about this ruger is the dead on pin point accuracy... everytime you look through those iron sights it just boom... hit... they do have hogue grips available for it and they are super easy to install and feel amazing in-hand... the SP101 also has the added bonus of coming in 2 sizes... a 2 1/4" and a solid 3 1/16... I've got the 3 1/16 but I'm looking at the 2 1/4" for a small of the back concealed... I also can't slam Libertarian with the idea of a HD shotgun... there are some nice 12 gauges out there on the market that give you lots of security for your buck... But in the end it's your decision with what you'd be comfortable with to defend your home...

idleprocess

Feb 29, 2008
DFW.com
Ruger GP100, 4"bl. 357mag or S&W 686, SS 6", .357 mag. just my
My $0.01

A home-defense gun does not need to be compact; there is no need to conceal it. A longer barrel means better accuracy due to longer stabilization on the bullet and longer sight radius.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
May 29, 2017
Austin, TX
Honest - Ruger GP100 in .357 Mag

Fun - S&W X-Frame in .500 S&W ... hey... you might not hit anything, but you'll be sure they won't leave without hearing loss!

dee

Well-Known
Nov 22, 2008
Red River Way
Fun - S&W X-Frame in .500 S&W ... hey... you might not hit anything, but you'll be sure they won't leave without hearing loss![/quote]

Or if they are close they won't leave without a nice powder burn.

skoro

May 7, 2008
West Texas
I am in the market looking for a dependable revolver for hd, what would y'all recommend. My experience with handgun only involves semi-auto. Thanks. :patriot::patriot::patriot:

Get a used S&W Model 10 or Model 64. They're the same thing, but the 10 is blued while the 64 is stainless. They can handle the 38+P loads all day long and that's a good round for home defense. And these are very easy revolvers to shot well, provided you get the 4" barrel. A good used one can be purchased for less than $300.

Top Bottom