• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdjerry

May 7, 2009
    I am in the market looking for a dependable revolver for hd, what would y'all recommend. My experience with handgun only involves semi-auto. Thanks. :patriot::patriot::patriot:

Libertarian_Longhorn

Apr 28, 2009
    I would recommend an inexpensive HD shotgun such as a Mossberg 500 over a revolver, but if restricted to a revolver, I certainly would advise you to get a Rossi or Taurus 357 Magnum. That way you can shoot both 38 special and 357 rounds. S&W has some solid 357's, but then again they acted like a bunch of French defecators during the first AWB. And they're more expensive.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    The Ruger SP101 is a dream to shoot... It is so comfortable in hand and has a ready to perform weight behind it... the other plus behind it is in SA it has a feather trigger and is dead on the money... it is easy to speed load with either a speed strip or a drop in loader... I can empty the cylinder in SA mode not even bothering DA mode in about 4.5 seconds... and the best part about this ruger is the dead on pin point accuracy... everytime you look through those iron sights it just boom... hit... they do have hogue grips available for it and they are super easy to install and feel amazing in-hand... the SP101 also has the added bonus of coming in 2 sizes... a 2 1/4" and a solid 3 1/16... I've got the 3 1/16 but I'm looking at the 2 1/4" for a small of the back concealed... I also can't slam Libertarian with the idea of a HD shotgun... there are some nice 12 gauges out there on the market that give you lots of security for your buck... But in the end it's your decision with what you'd be comfortable with to defend your home...

idleprocess

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Ruger GP100, 4"bl. 357mag or S&W 686, SS 6", .357 mag. just my

My $0.01

A home-defense gun does not need to be compact; there is no need to conceal it. A longer barrel means better accuracy due to longer stabilization on the bullet and longer sight radius.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Honest - Ruger GP100 in .357 Mag

Fun - S&W X-Frame in .500 S&W ... hey... you might not hit anything, but you'll be sure they won't leave without hearing loss!

dee

Well-Known
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Fun - S&W X-Frame in .500 S&W ... hey... you might not hit anything, but you'll be sure they won't leave without hearing loss![/quote]

Or if they are close they won't leave without a nice powder burn.

skoro

May 7, 2008
    West Texas
    I am in the market looking for a dependable revolver for hd, what would y'all recommend. My experience with handgun only involves semi-auto. Thanks. :patriot::patriot::patriot:

Get a used S&W Model 10 or Model 64. They're the same thing, but the 10 is blued while the 64 is stainless. They can handle the 38+P loads all day long and that's a good round for home defense. And these are very easy revolvers to shot well, provided you get the 4" barrel. A good used one can be purchased for less than $300.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    As far as revolvers go I like the 357mag for versatility, 38's for practice and 357's for bad guy's. and I do not suggest anything shorter than a 4'' or 5'' barrel, the wheel gun my dad carried as a sheriff is cat quick and shoot the balls of a gnat accurate. and definitely get speed loaders of one flavor or another and practice practice practice, no mater what you buy become proficient in it's use.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Get a shotgun or a carbine (AR-15, AK). Handguns are a bit anemic for home defense...

Also, IMO, most revolvers are a bad choice because you can't mount a light. A light is a very good idea for a home defense weapon.

If I had to choose a revolver for home defense, it'd be the 627: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...d=10001&productId=45916&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

8 rounds of .357 magnum, mounts a light (and a red dot, if you want). Reliable. Takes moon clips IIRC. It's just that it's not cheap...

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Get a shotgun or a carbine (AR-15, AK). Handguns are a bit anemic for home defense...

Also, IMO, most revolvers are a bad choice because you can't mount a light. A light is a very good idea for a home defense weapon.

If I had to choose a revolver for home defense, it'd be the 627: [url]http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=45916&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y[/URL]

8 rounds of .357 magnum, mounts a light (and a red dot, if you want). Reliable. Takes moon clips IIRC. It's just that it's not cheap...

thinks its the 327 and for $1400 it'd better shoot more accurately than me..

xdjerry

May 7, 2009
    Thanks for all your generous advise. I have been researching the Ruger GP100, and have come across a $395 used to $595 new. Went to a local sporting goods store and the sales person was recommending a Ruger Super RedHawk for $695. Is this a much better unit then GP100? Also, what to look for in a used pistol? Thanks.

dee

Well-Known
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    In what caliber? As far as I know( which is not a whole lot) but I've never seen a Super Redhawk under .44 Magnum which is not a beginers revolver.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    A longer barrel means better accuracy due to longer stabilization on the bullet and longer sight radius.

I agree to a point. With proper practice, one is able to shoot a 2" as well as a 4".

I will agree on the GP100 4" in .357Mag as a good home defense weapon. It is my weapon of choice...I have two. Hence the screen name. ;) I like the new combat grips so much, I retrofitted my older one with them.

-G

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Thanks for all your generous advise. I have been researching the Ruger GP100, and have come across a $395 used to $595 new. Went to a local sporting goods store and the sales person was recommending a Ruger Super RedHawk for $695. Is this a much better unit then GP100? Also, what to look for in a used pistol? Thanks.

They are built on the same frame. Like someone else already stated, a .44 Mag is not for beginners. With the .357 Mag, you will be able to shoot the less expensive .38 ammo until you get used to it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    thinks its the 327 and for $1400 it'd better shoot more accurately than me..

Whoops.

I really want one, though. I have a thing for revolvers, but my next handgun will probably be a 9mm... Probably go for a Springfield XD(M). Something about having 20 rounds ready to rock sounds like fun to me. I guess that's one of the things I like about an AK for home defense.

idleprocess

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I agree to a point. With proper practice, one is able to shoot a 2" as well as a 4".

Sure. And if you're really good, you can make rifle shots with pistols, get .308 distances out of 5.56, get .50BMG distances out of .308, and kill three birds with half of a stone.

Unless it's going to double as a carry gun, there's no good reason to get a snubbie 2" barrel.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    ...Ruger Super RedHawk...Is this a much better unit then GP100?

In the general sense, no, the Redhawk is not "better" than the GP100. They are both excellent handguns, but designed with different purposes in mind.

Also, what to look for in a used pistol?

A pet peeve of mine: a revolver is not a pistol; a pistol is a semi-auto handgun.

On a revolver, check for cylinder movement. Open the cylinder and try to move it fore and aft, and try to rock it on its axis. There should not be excessive movement in any direction. On the GP100, you can hear a little rattle if you shake the gun...this is normal, as the ejector rod has some play in it, even if brand new. Also, try to move the cylinder when it is locked, it should be locked in relatively tightly with very little movement.

When you push the cylinder release button and push the cylinder open, it should open relatively easily, without the feeling that it is hanging up too tightly.

Ensuring that the gun is unloaded, dry fire it in single action and double action mode to make sure it cycles smoothly with no real discernible roughness.

Visually inspect the muzzle crown for dings and dents. You don't want one that has been dropped on its muzzle. Also inspect the frame screws to see if they are boogered up, which means an inept someone has tinkered with it. Check the bore with a bore light...a dirty bore might indicate that the gun was not cared for properly. In general, just look the entire gun over for signs of neglect or abuse.

From my shopping (and buying) experience, a good used GP100 will usually go for $400-$500.

Top Bottom