• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Since last night when I visited the 1911 thread, I started doing some searching on Rock Islans Arms 1911's and I've seen comments from cheap 1911 to a better version of a cheap 1911. My first question is where do you order these? Second, could you RIA owners post some in-depth reviews of your 1911's in the Articles section under the Gun Talk section?

Basically, if I can get a hold of a 1911 that can shoot as well and is as reliable as a Kimber or Para for a fraction of the cost, I'm there!

Edit: I see Armscor makes Charles Daly 1911's if anyone was wondering.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I order from centerfiresystems.com and Southern Ohio Gun(SOG).I have five so far and all have run 100 percent except for the widebody model.The prices are starting to go up on these.I got a basic gi for $299 last year and they are running $359 now.I customized my first gi and was angry when they brought out the tactical a month later.The compact tactical was the most expensive RIA 1911 at $525.I am shooting 1.75 inch groups at 25 yards with my tactical and 2 inch groups with my gi.I am going to put some better sights on my gi as the standard sights are not great for fast aquisition.The customer service that comes with the guns is awesome.Ivan and Ray are good guys and will take care of you if anything is wrong with the gun.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    My friend Pete owns a gunshop and my other buddy Endre has a FFL.If you look on gunbroker.com you can find a ffl guy near you.You pay for your gun and when it arrives you only pay the transfer fee(unless you buy the gun in Texas) and no tax.My 1911 GIs have been $399 with the transfer fee and shipping.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    My friend Pete owns a gunshop and my other buddy Endre has a FFL.If you look on gunbroker.com you can find a ffl guy near you.You pay for your gun and when it arrives you only pay the transfer fee(unless you buy the gun in Texas) and no tax.My 1911 GIs have been $399 with the transfer fee and shipping.

A guy I work with has a FFL, so it shouldn't be a problem having him transfer it. I'm really stoked about the 1911A1-CS PS. If it's reliable, that will be a carry gun.

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    I like my RIA, the only problem is the beavertail isn't long enough and the hammer bites me when I shoot it. Simple fix, just haven't done it yet.

machinisttx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I like my RIA, the only problem is the beavertail isn't long enough and the hammer bites me when I shoot it. Simple fix, just haven't done it yet.

I had a standard mil spec type RIA and had the same problem. The only function problems I had with that gun I traced to one bad magazine and faulty reloads.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Since last night when I visited the 1911 thread, I started doing some searching on Rock Islans Arms 1911's and I've seen comments from cheap 1911 to a better version of a cheap 1911. My first question is where do you order these? Second, could you RIA owners post some in-depth reviews of your 1911's in the Articles section under the Gun Talk section?

Basically, if I can get a hold of a 1911 that can shoot as well and is as reliable as a Kimber or Para for a fraction of the cost, I'm there!

Edit: I see Armscor makes Charles Daly 1911's if anyone was wondering.

Actually Armscor makes the RIA too and Daley is dropping Armscor but is going to have another maker (probably BUL but just my guess) make them in the near future. CD's come with a lifetime warrantee and they honor it from what I've read on the 1911 forum

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Everything I've heard and read about RIA 1911's leads me to believe that they are reliable and durable, but being patterned after the "GI" 1911, they're not going to produce 1.5" groups at 50 yards nor is the entire action going to be smooth as glass.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    My Gander Mountain has a Medallion Standard that looked, well, like an old 1911. It doesn't look exactly like a Colt but it felt solid with no rattles and such. Too bad I couldn't try it out and for $499, it sounds like a good gun to just have around. No doubt it could be had cheaper since GM runs a bit high on their prices.

RIATAC45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    RIA Tactical

I have had a few issues with my tactical, but for the most part it has served me well so far. The first problems started to show up at about 200rds it would FTRTB:mad:. I didn't like the FLGR so when I changed it out, I put a Wolff 16lb recoil spring in it. I have put about 500 more rounds through it since without any more problems :).

It will feed any ammo I put in the mag, since the spring swap. It is not a match gun by no strech of the imagination, but it will shoot 3" groups off hand @ 15yds. NOTE: (I am a lousy shot).:(

All parts I have bought for it fit without much fitting. I haven't done alot to it, just practicing for a complete build up. I have installed a GI guide rod and plug, a GI safety, pearce finger grooves, and a set of Esmeralda's grips. I bought a Wilson extended slide lock, but it interferes with the grips so I don't use it.

This is my first 1911. I would have to recomend it for a first timer to tinker with as a steping stone to bigger and better 1911s, or to use as a knock around gun.

IMGP0715.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom