• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    Hello Ya'll,

I relocated about a week ago to Texas from Comifornia. I was told by few folks that drivers here are crazy stupid(excuse the language). I read the DPS handbook, and aside from no line splitting most riding laws are about the same as California. Apparently motorcycles here need to get inspection just like cars. Are there riders here that can shed some light on riding here in Texas?

Thanks,
    Hurley's Gold

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    What part of texas you are in . There are some great riding places all over the state. two good rallies one in austin one in galveston every year. Yes motorcycles need safety inspections. Now if that was your only vehicle and you are going to commute with it in a Major city I would say no . otherwise heck yea

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    Hi,

I live in Burleson and was planning on using it to commute to Dallas when I need to handle things for work. I work from home, don't go out as much except when there's emergencies at work, I might be force to ride when the wife is using our car.

Thanks for the reply.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    It was worth it to me for 43 years. I recently quit riding but it wasn't because of bad traffic, it was just a personal decision.

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    It was worth it to me for 43 years. I recently quit riding but it wasn't because of bad traffic, it was just a personal decision.

Honestly I love riding, and I don't want to quit yet, but at the same time I want to play it safe.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I put 65,000 miles on one of my bikes in 5 years.
    Of course it was 98% weekends & holidays only, & all of that was out on country back-roads.

I sold all my bikes in 2005.

I would hate to drive in Dallas on a motorcycle.

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    Of course it was 98% weekends & holidays only, & all of that was out on country back-roads.

Thanks for the feedback I drive Monday and was kinda hectic, seems ill need to buy a car .

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress

Or Houston
    Or San Antonio
    Or Austin

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

boomgoesthedynamite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    Sachse (NE DFW)
    I am in the same situation. I rode a lot on california freeways and never had a problem; people drive fast but stay in their lane. My take on the north dallas area is people think they can save 15 seconds by switching lanes all of the time. Also, I can't count the number of times people shoot from the hammer lane to an exit across 4 lanes of traffic. The final thing that keeps my bike on the battery tender most of the time is the quality of the roads; even the cracks and potholes are bigger in Texas.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I live out West of Fort Worth and ride to work in Arlington from time to time (100 miles round trip). It saves me a bunch in fuel plus the road therapy value. Now on the other hand, there are some BSC people out there and it is not the same as it was 5 to 10 years ago. As long as everyone is moving along and you don't have some a__wipe thinking they have to be one up on everyone and be in front just to be in front it is not too bad. Keep your head on a swivel...keep it moving. Watch for junk in the road. You find alls kinds of stuff in the highway these days.

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    I am in the same situation. I rode a lot on california freeways and never had a problem; people drive fast but stay in their lane. My take on the north dallas area is people think they can save 15 seconds by switching lanes all of the time. Also, I can't count the number of times people shoot from the hammer lane to an exit across 4 lanes of traffic. The final thing that keeps my bike on the battery tender most of the time is the quality of the roads; even the cracks and potholes are bigger in Texas.

LOL Indeed. I notice the exit across 4 lanes in the middle of traffic.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    You have to ride with a lot of paranoia. As if everyone were out to run you over. They aren't, but it seems like it. Take defensive driving to the extreme.

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    You have to ride with a lot of paranoia. As if everyone were out to run you over. They aren't, but it seems like it. Take defensive driving to the extreme.

Jeez I think I am better off putting the helmet away. A buddy of mine that relocated months ago did the same. I didn't believe him the stories he told me as he tends to exhagerate things, but I guess he was right.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Jeez I think I am better off putting the helmet away. A buddy of mine that relocated months ago did the same. I didn't believe him the stories he told me as he tends to exhagerate things, but I guess he was right.

I occasionally rode to work, but not too often, maybe once a month.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Welcome to Texas! Check these rides out:
    Devil's Backbone, south of Johnson City
    Three Sisters, Leakey area
    Rio grande road from Lajitas to Presidio

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    once the weather settles down some I'll be riding more often. I try and beat the crowd in the morning by leaving the house around 5:30 for an hour ride in. Biggest problem I have at that hour are critters. Deer, armadillos, raccoons, opossums, cats, dogs, coyotes... I can then usually miss the afternoon main madness as well. Timing is everything. Just can't seem to have enough lights on the back for people to see though.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I went a couple years without a vehicle when I first got my Harley (2000). Rode all over Houston doing my thing. OL got pissed when I was out riding in 26° weather, got a used Cherokee for bad weather. Over the years I noticed that people were getting more and more aggressive about bikes. Had a HCSO deputy in her personal vehicle roll right out in front of me. Bitch just looked right the F at me and decided I could stop for her to cross the street. No one in front or behind me. Over the years, it's gotten much worse. I don't ride any more, I damned near get hit two or three times a day on my 54 commute. And that's in a lifted lime green Jeep and a lifted bright red Titan.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I avoid riding on the interstate or in major cities.

I can do it and have, but avoid it because it takes the joy out of riding.

It's just too much work.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Top Bottom