• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Spring, TX (HoustonMetro)
    I think most of us know that most service pistol calibers provide an inferior wound effect compared to rifle calibers (lightweight calibers like .22 lr excluded) this is due to the velocity at which they are moving. Most pistol caliber travel any where from 600fps to 1600 fps or slightly higher. Serious rifle calibers will be in the 1800-3000 fps area. AT which velocity given is a rifle bullet going to deliver a temporary and permanent wound cavity?

I ask because as i start to learn to reload ... some rifle calibers can be down loaded to offer subsonic velocity with higher grain. Or lighter bullets going much beyond supersonic. what is the minimum velocity for a classic rifle caliber?

45-70 can be loaded with some real heavy bullets but they move slow.. do they produce a temp wound channel when hunting.. or to they pulverize tissue like a super fast moving 30 caliber... .300 win mag.

Both get the job done. Just need some real world experience as I learn about reloading for hunting loads.
    I have no set caliber I am reloading for.. just thinking.
    Thanks
    Stag

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The key is to match the bullet with the velocity. Hunting bullets are designed to expand reliably at certain velocities.

This is why hunters have problems with their .300 Win Mags at short distances. The bullets they are most likely using are designed for long range shots (300-400 yds) at somewhat slower velocities. When they take a short shot at game (50-80 yds), the bullet is traveling much too fast to expand reliably. It may either not expand at all or come apart.

You must do some research on what bullet you are going to use. Pick the bullet, and then find out it's sweet spot for velocity. Every bullet and every manufacturer will vary, but the velocities for certain calibers and weights should be similiar. Check the manufacturers websites to find this information, but honestly, I have never looked so some digging may be necessary. Then decide what your load is going to be and load for that. Don't forget to include velocity loss at distance also. The load for your .300 Win Mag at 500 yds will be different for it at 80 yds. A good bullet may be the same load and cover a wide range of velocities, but again, do some research.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My reloading manual has ballistic charts at the back, find a bullet you think might work for you, usually the manufactures website will tell you the bullets "window" where it is designed to work. Once you think you have a bullet you want to try check the back of your reloading manual and see what the approx. velocity will be, then go to the back and check the ballistic tables and see about how long it will stay in the velocity window you need. After you find one that will perform in the ranges you plan to shoot then you can buy some and hope your rifle like them. Most hunting rounds should be resonably accurate in just about any good rifle. Most manufactures also try to make their bullets work for the caliber they are designed for and the normal range they are used for which is why the 300 win mags dont perform well close up as stated. If you havent picked a caliber yet think about how far you plan on shooting and do alittle homework and find what fits your hunting style. As for the 45/70, I have shot a deer with one i used to have and it has completly different wound effects. My .243 turns lungs and heart into mush with a dime size exit wound at 100-150 yrds, the 45/70 makes a .45 call entry and slightly larger exit and pulverizes bone, it did alot of damage but the lungs were still lungs with a large hole in them, not mush. It all depends on what you want to hunt and how for away you think it will be. Good Luck.

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    Both great replies above; I'll add to Dawico's post in that I've come across many reloader who use boat-tail bullets under 200 yrds when a flat base bullet will tend to deliver much better stabilization and performance. There are alot of variables to consider when selecting a bullet; it is most dependent upon what exactly you need it to do. If you've never checked out the Whisper calibers, google them and have a great read. They're quite interesting from a ballistics stand point.

Top Bottom