Target Sports

Rifle cleaning question - keep copper in?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    I recently saw a show with some Green Beret snipers that were talking about how they only cleaned their rifle bores by running several patches through them but not cleaning the copper fowling.

He said that when he left the copper in, his shots were more accurate.

He started from a totally clean gun. Then after 20-30 shots he cleaned it with 5-10 patches only (not scrubbing out the copper fowling) as this made the gun more accurate. Not sure how or why this happens, so I thought I'd bring it to the pros.

How do you clean your hunting rifle?

Chris
    Venture Surplus ad

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    It makes it more consistent. From a completely clean barrel the POI when change as the fouling builds up. If its already there it doesn't change it as much.
    Just like a "cold bore" shot is going to hit different than a say the 5th or 6th shot after the barrel warms up.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    All I use is oil and a patch to remove any powder residue and whatnot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I use a copper solvent every 1000rds or once a year which ever comes first (usually the 1000rds lol). I do know people that will do a complete clean of the barrel every 5 rounds or so too so its really your preference that matters.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Scrub all you want and you won't remove copper fouling. Elbow grease won't take it out. The chemicals in Butch's Bore Shine and other quality products are designed to remove copper but you need to use it correctly. Use patches soaked in solvent and perhaps a few passes to remove the crud, dirt, powder etc. Then use a wet patch in Butch's or other appropriate solvent and let it sit for 1-2 hours. Come back and hit it again the same way as often as necessary. When my 17HMR rifles were new, it took THREE DAYS to remove the fouling. Let the color of the patches guide you. If the patch comes out green, there's still copper in the bore.

If you want to see a rifle where accuracy is absolutely destroyed by copper fouling, the 17HMR is it. I see posts about accuracy degrading on those rifles constantly. Must be a worn out barrel, huh? NO.....it's copper fouled! After the barrel gets some rounds down the tube, such cleaning is seldom needed.

After using Butch's or other solvent, there won't be a trace of oil in the bore. The last patch should be soaked with Hoppes or other solvent to prevent rust.

Flash

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I recently saw a show with some Green Beret snipers that were talking about how they only cleaned their rifle bores by running several patches through them but not cleaning the copper fowling.

He said that when he left the copper in, his shots were more accurate.

He started from a totally clean gun. Then after 20-30 shots he cleaned it with 5-10 patches only (not scrubbing out the copper fowling) as this made the gun more accurate. Not sure how or why this happens, so I thought I'd bring it to the pros.

How do you clean your hunting rifle?

Chris

I don't clean my barrel. Bolt gets a wipe down and some lube when it feels like it needs it.
    When accuracy drops off, I'll clean the barrel then.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I don't clean my barrel. Bolt gets a wipe down and some lube when it feels like it needs it.
    When accuracy drops off, I'll clean the barrel then.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Same here.

I boresnake mine when the groups open up. Maybe pull a brush through it.

But I do watch the bore. If I see it getting a build up. Then I strip it. I usually wait for a winter day to do that. When I can't go outside. Gives me something to do. I go through every rifle Ive shot that summer.

And any rifle Ive cleaned...gets a few rounds to dirty it up when I take it back out.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Every barrel is different and cleaning methods vary too much to call one better than others.

Most mass-produced barrels have lots of machine marks and associated scratches.

For a brand new barrel, I would take some time and clean it thoroughly with a bore-paste and some lapping compound. Then run a bunch of patches soaked in Hoppes' No. 9 through the bore.

Most fouling adheres (sticks) to the imperfections in the lands and grooves of the barrel.

A good and inexpensive test for copper fouling is:

1. Thoroughly clean the bore with a bronze brush and patches.

2. Run a wet patch of bore cleaner through the bore and let the firearm rest horizontally overnight.

3. Run a dry patch through the bore the next morning.

4. If the patch is clean, you are good to go. If it comes out green, you have copper fouling.

5. Montana X-Treme Copper Killer is the next step. Be sure to do this in a well ventilated area, that stuff will knock you on your a$$ in a confined area.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Used the info in this thread on several of my rifles tonight. Two had really bad copper fouling. My mini 14 has been very inaccurate. Im hoping this fixes it. Weird to see the blue on the patches.

Top Bottom