• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Padrepride

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Am novice firearm owner. Just bought a moisin nagant 90/30 from j&g and need to have it clcleaned I have no skills or patience to do a good job. Any reputable folks out there in Houston
    ARJ Defense ad

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    It's Russian ... what's this clean you speak of? LOL

In all seriousness though, is it coated in cosmoline still, or does it just need a standard "after range" cleaning?

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    If you own a firearm, you need to know how to clean and maintain it. If you own a knife, you need to learn how to sharpen it. If you own a car, you should at least be able to change a flat tire.

These are basic things children (as the grow) should be taught. If you weren't taught, then you need to seek out the information - and maybe even a mentor - and put in the work needed to master the tasks. Otherwise, you are an incomplete person.

As for cosmoline, it is a waxy rust inhibitor and can be removed with chemicals that will dissolve the grease. I think most people let WD-40 soak in for awhile and then put in lots of wiping. Here are some good links for info:

Cosmoline removal: Educational Zone #23 - Cosmoline Removal - Page 1
    Cosmoline removal (surplus rifle)(pdf): http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/cosmoline/pdf/cosmoline.pdf
    Cosmoline removal from a Mosin Nagant (video): Cosmoline Removal On The Mosin Nagant !!!.MOV - YouTube

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Redneck method:

Wait for summer. When it's 108 again. Set it outside for three hours. Wipe it down with a wash cloth. Wash the barrel out with a little 87 octane gas or diesel then boresnake.

After you shoot it, windex the bore and boresnake it out. Touch up with any spray oil to the bore.

It's a mosin.....

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Or, if you are real lazy and do not care about doing a good job, just take it out and shoot it out. If there is enough cosmoline in the barrel you will never have to clean it again.. However, seriously, take some time and learn what it takes to clean your rifle, do it well and remember that most of the ammunition you will find for it is corrosive so you need to clean it well after each trip to the range.

Good luck

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Had to clean a Springfield M1903A3 packed in cosmoline once.

Separate metal from wood. Put metal in a tub large enough to hold action & barrel & loose parts. Add 1/2 cup dish washing liquid.

Boil a bunch of water. Pour over metal parts; wait 15 minutes. Remove from water and shake vigorously to displace as much water as possible.

Wipe metal parts dry with clean cotton rags; punch bore with Hoppes No. 9, until patches come out clean.

Run a final wet patch of Hoppes No. 9 through bore, spray all metal with WD40 and let rest 24 hours.

Be sure to disassemble the bolt, for it will be probably be packed with cosmoline.

After 24 hours, wipe everything down, punch the bore, and anoint all metal with a quality gun oil like RemOil.

Don't get the stock wet; clean it with copious amounts of paper towels and q-tips.

Great project. Enjoy!

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I find lantern fuels works well.

thats naphthalene, I think. Also used to make waxed cotton. Evaps clean with no smell. ( I made a waxed pouch for carrying dead dove)

My go to cleaning solvent is paint thinner. Oil base paint stuff not Lacquer thinner.

Fritz polish is also one hell of a cleaner. IT's the only thing I found will remove the powder rings on the front of a revolver cylinder. Works amazing inside the bore. It's just messy, cleaning it out afterwards. Talk about bore polish....

Top Bottom