• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    I'm looking into die sets for .223 and 30-06. I've only reloaded 9mm so far, but looking into these rifle calibers.

So, Lee has the Ultimate Rifle Die Set which comes with 4 dies. It looks like most others, and specifically RCBS, die sets come with only 2 dies. The 2 extra that Lee has are the Collet Neck Sizing Die and the Factory Crimp Die.

My question is: are those extra dies necessary, and would RCBS be of better quality?

Thanks!
    Guns International

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I don't and have never had any complaints about Lee dies. I own about ten sets of them and continue to buy them as I gain new calibers. They are my go to brand for dies and have shot some very respectable groups with ammo loaded with them.

Lee has great customer service too if you ever have an issue.

Lee dies don't have a strong finish though and can get surface rust. That's about my only complaint if I had to find one.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Unless you are going for utmost accuracy in a bolt or lever gun you don't really need the neck sizing die.

Neck sizing isn't recommended for autoloaders so you don't need it if loading for an AR.

You want to full length size for hunting rifles and autoloaders for reliable feeding.

The factory crimp die is bad ass but again, you probably don't need it. Proper neck tension on the bullet will hold it in place.

I only crimp for tube magazine rifles and heavy recoiling Magnums.

But if you want to crimp then go for it. If you may be loading for accurate bolt actions then get the neck sizing die. Really the ~$20 difference in price is not much to pay for the extra dies compared to buying them separately later.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    Good to know. Yeah I really like the 9mm Lee dies I have, they work great.

Thanks for the explanation, I will probably go with a 2-die set for .223 (for AR) and the 4-die set for .30-06 (bolt-action 700).

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Never hurts to have the extra dies, they dont go bad. You may end up with a bolt 223 one day and then you already have the dies you want! Or if you have the dies then you have to buy a gun to go with them...

That's reloader logic.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I have a .308 which is most accurate when the bullet seats to the lands. Therefore, I neck size for that rifle and only hand load each round individually as I do not carry any rounds in the magazine. So, that rifle I never crimp and only neck size so the bullet will move.

flashhole

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2013
    The Lee dies are part of their system approach to reloading. I especially like the powder through dies that work with the extender and the Auto Drum powder measure or the Lee Powder Funnel and Lee Dipper Cups. I recommend the die Lee set be used with the Lee Classic Turret Press for 223 but I would substitute a taper crimp die for the Factory Crimp die. I only ever found the Factory Crimp Die good for pistol cartridges.

For 30-06 get the Lee Neck Die that compresses the neck against a mandrel. Super design and provides low runout.

RCBS dies come in fourth in my rifle die ranking but I still mix and match for best results - 1 Forster, 2 Redding, 3 Lee, 4 RCBS and Lyman. Both the Forster and Redding seat dies use a tight tolerance sliding sleeve design, both are first rate but Forster is a little less expensive. Notice Hornady dies did not even make the list.

Top Bottom