• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    howdy, I have inherited what looks to be some kind of Italian rifle??

Theres some numbers and letters stamped on the barrel:BA 521
    F A E T 68
    DS

Any information is appreciated, thanks
    Gun Zone Deals

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    No, there isnt a caliper marked any where, I used my caliper it reads 6.21mm inside diameter at the end of the barrel. What I wanna know, with the shorten stock, would it be safe to shoot? I plan on cleaning it really good. The bolt action and pin fire is tight and operates good.

dcs12345

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Temple
    check out surplusrifle.com they have alot of info on surplus military rifles. As far aas finding ammo try wideners.com, aimsurplus.com, grafs.com, or www.ammunitiontogo.com out of Brenham.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    6.5 Carcano Italian is correct. There is a clip you have to have if you want the rifle to feed more than one at a time by hand. You can find one online.

They have very little value aside other military rifles but are pleasantly accurate, and ammo can be found here and there. I believe if memory does not fail me, a rifle as this was used by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas
    with a scope.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Is that rifle safe to shoot with a rigged stock? Or should I buy a full length stock and upper hand guard? pleasantly accurate??? I called sam down at the cutting edge armory he said it isnt a accurate rifle. Of course i have been given bad advice from him before.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    "I believe if memory does not fail me, a rifle as this was used by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas with a scope."

Oh sure. That's what they want you to believe...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

People 'sporterize' guns to reduce the extra weight associated with the old wood-intensive military stocks, or to achieve their aesthetic vision of whatever constitutes a 'pretty rifle'.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have little doubt that is the rifle Oswald used, just not necessarily the rifle that fired the last shot.

As far as accuracy, one person's "fairly accurate" is another persons junk. Some people consider 2 1/2 inch groups "trash pile" ready. Another person might consider 4" "acceptable".

JoeinTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    wasnt oswalds gun a manlichher carcano?

Essentially the same rifle.

I have one in 7.35 that I picked up for chump change simply because I like milsurps and didn't already have one. They're not bad little rifles at all but they are quirky (the safety mechanism is from another planet,) they don't lend themselves very well to sporterizing due to the split rear bridge (which necessitates a side mount for any scope,) and their rather rare calibers.

I was able to buy one 20-round box of handload 7.35 online and it cost me near $60 all told including shipping.........so, needless to say it doesn't get shot very much.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Ever shot a 6.5 Carcano?

I used to have an M38...just like Oswalds rifle.

One range session with the M38 Carcano and you'll suddenly think that all those JFK conspiracy nuts are not so nuts. Honsetly...I don't know how Oswald did it! LOL

50yd patterns that look more like a MOD 12 gauge pattern than a rifle group. No wonder they surrendered!

- brickboy240

Top Bottom