• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acistofani

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Ft. Hood
    Im looking for a rifle/pistol range within the Ft. Hood to Austin area that offers member privelages and/or lockers to store weapons. Not too sure if they are around here as much as back home but any help would be nice. Thanks.
    ARJ Defense ad

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    The best range between Hood and Austin is Best of the West Range in Liberty Hill texasshootingrange.com

Most guys I know who live in the barracks and don't want the unit armorer playing with their POW just put their stuff in an offpost mini-storage unfortunately.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    The range on post is pretty nice, and free! I'm a contractor, so don't need to worry about the armorer stuff, but do have most of my guns registered on post so I can shoot here. Best of the West is a very nice range (just had a Texas Gun Talk meet there a couple weeks ago) but is about a 45 minute drive each direction. Also, depending on if you buy a membership or not, it ranges from $6-$20 per trip.

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX
    The range on post is pretty nice, and free! I'm a contractor, so don't need to worry about the armorer stuff, but do have most of my guns registered on post so I can shoot here.
    Couple questions about shooting on post (sorry in advance if they are dumb lol). I get the registering the guns part. As for the actual range, which range is it, and when is it open? Also, do you need to check in someplace first (besides at the gate)? I haven't been here very long, and saving a few bucks going on post now and then is a plus.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    I think it is building 56167....called Pilot Knob Range. It is on South Range Road. After the gaurds check you at the gate, you proceed to the range. When you get there, park, put on your hearing protection (check in is on the actual range) and head over to the range officer with your guns. They sign you in and ensure your weapons are clear, then you sign that you acknowledge the rules and you can get your targets ready to put out. When they call the next cease fire and the line is cold, place your targets and when they go hot, start shooting. I copied this from another site, since someone had already typed it up....

For all you folks in the Fort Hood, Killeen, Temple and surrounding areas the range at Pilot Knob located on range road is open to the public 7 day a week from approximately 0800 to 1500.
    There are stalls for both rifle and pistol shooters.
    Pistol stalls allow shooting at 10 and 25 meters.
    Rifle stalls allow shooting at 25, 50, 75, and 100 meters (only 25 and 50 during duty days).

There is no fee.
    However, in order to bring your firearm on to Fort Hood you must first register it with the Provost Marshall's Office. To do so you must fill our the appropriate registration form available at the PMO. The form will ask information such as; make, model, caliber, serial number and where the weapon will be stored. Turn in the form to the desk sergeant once filled out and he will ensure the the data is entered into their records and that you receive a stamped copy (pink) to be kept with your firearm as you travel on fort Hood. DO NOT BRING YOUR FIREARM TO THE PROVOST MARSHALL'S OFFICE TO REGETER IT! You only need the know the basic info listed above.
    Once registered, you are authorized to bring your weapon onto Fort Hood. You MUST however declare the weapon at the access points (front gates). Follow all instructs given by the gate guards and ensure your registration paperwork is readily available.

Sounds like a big hassle but as I said, shooting is free.

Range rules are simple and easy to follow but somewhat restrictive.
    No drawing from a holster.
    Your weapon must be pointed down range at all times when at the firing point.
    Only one weapon at the point at one time. ( I think you can have up to five weapon on the range at one time but I may be wrong. I’ve never brought more than four.)
    When people are down range you must stay away from the firing point (stay behind the yellow line).
    You must bring your own targets however cardboard target holders and staplers are provided.
    Children under 8 MUST be supervised at ALL TIMES by a person not at the firing point. Children over 8 can shoot with adult supervision.
    No shotgun shot shells allowed. Slugs are OK. Muzzleloaders are OK. Rifles up to 50 cal OK.
    No rapid fire.

Only change is now, instead of going to PMO, you register at the Martin Leath Visitor Center (main pass office outside of post).

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom