• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    I am considering a new scope for a .30-'06 to be used for whitetail hunting. I currently have a 3x9, but want something with subtantially higher magnification, possibly as high as 20 or 24 power. (I like to study my target at length before I make a decision, what with antler restrictions and all.) My budget is firmly set at $400.

Any suggestions/recommendations/input?
    Gun Zone Deals

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I'm not really sure what to suggest with those magnification requirements. For that price range, a Sightron or Millet could be had. I don't think they go to that high of magnification though.
    I can recommend this however, when you find the one you want, go on ebay and find it there, you can usually get them new for about 40% less than what you would pay at Academy or Midway.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Buy a set of Binoculars or a Spotting Scope and use the 3x9 to hunt with. You'll get significantly better field of view and better light (especially at night) with the binoculars or spotting scope.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Agree w/1911, unless you're willin' to jump your budget enough to get some 50mm optics. I use a 3 x 24 on my AT&T rifle - but only a 3 x 12 x 50mm on my huntin' rifles. Learn to judge racks by how far they extend past the ears....

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Those fellas have the idea. If you get any more crafty, you could get good with mil-dots and a range-finder. Standard duplex cross-hairs also have a built in range estimating system. In the paperwork that comes with the scope, the dimensions of what the thin horizontal and vertical segments covers is stated in relation to variation of magnification settings.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Sorry - but I insist on "good" optics on my rifles. When I'm bearing down on an animal in low-light conditions, I want it to go where I aim it. My 700BDL's (22-250 an' 7mm mag) both wear 50 mm Burris scopes that are over 15 years old. Neither has ever had to be adjusted from the original sighting-in. The Burris certainly isn't a "top of the line" optic, nor is it bargain basement - it's simply a decent, mid-range product that does the job.

fnmedallion

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    haslet texas
    I am considering a new scope for a .30-'06 to be used for whitetail hunting. I currently have a 3x9, but want something with subtantially higher magnification, possibly as high as 20 or 24 power. (I like to study my target at length before I make a decision, what with antler restrictions and all.) My budget is firmly set at $400.

Any suggestions/recommendations/input?
    first off study with binos or spotting scope your other hunters will thank you oops i'm a little late +12

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Going much over 12x is, in my experience, harder to get a good shot with. Given the smaller field of view, the higher mag values are hard to hold on target...

Top Bottom