• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VNK971

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Mico, TX
    I put a Lilja barrel on a .22LR rifle that is having extraction issues. Lilja wants me to ship the receiver, barrel, and ammo to them for the repairs. Barrel and ammo I have no questions about. Is an FFL required for me to ship the receiver?

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Call Lilja and ask them. Usually when shipping a firearm to the manufacturer for repair, going through an FFL is not required. They should be able to send it directly to your house when repairs are completed.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, double check my work.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Assuming the receiver part is the firearm, in interstate commerce the receiver must have an FFL (which I assume Lilja has) to receive the firearm. Make sure your name and address are in the box, etc.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Considering the outcome if he were to walk into the PO with ammo, specific info is worth posting details. Neither of you specified the intent to mail some of the items one carrier, some another. When dealing with the USPS, no credit given for honest mistakes.

VNK971

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Mico, TX
    Thanks Guys. I guess I should have said more. I understand ammo needs to go FEDEX or UPS with the ORM-D stickers, or whatever it is now.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I put a Lilja barrel on a .22LR rifle that is having extraction issues. Lilja wants me to ship the receiver, barrel, and ammo to them for the repairs. Barrel and ammo I have no questions about. Is an FFL required for me to ship the receiver?
    No, you can ship to manufacture or repair.
    With no stock makes it a non usable firearm anyway.
    You have to ship
    Ammo separate and a special
    Label. Shipping will have that for
    You.

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    It's not that complicated but with the answers given here I am surprised more folks do not wind up getting arrested for what they ship and how they ship it. Happy they do not get arrested just surprised they do not. Then again, we have all these rules, regulations & laws and no one enforces half, or more, of them; well, except for the UPS clerk when I try to ship via the UPS customer center in Texarkana, AR. She thinks knows everything and yet has been wrong every time she has told me something is prohibited for shipping and she argues with me about every other or third time I try to ship a firearm or ammo. She argues even when I show her the UPS regulations that say the items are okay to ship or are allowed to be shipped to whom I am sending them - like a C&R firearm to a C&R FFL holder in another state.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I’ve done it several times at the request of whom they were going to. Actually just received one back from having it Cerakoted. Laugh all you want.
    Anyone read where the OP was asked to send the barreled action only?
    The gun is partially disassembled therefor making pretty damn hard to use in this configuration. Meantime while Myself and others are ate getting their shit done others are ate wondering how to do it.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2020
    North of Dallas
    No, you can ship to manufacture or repair.
    With no stock makes it a non usable firearm anyway.

The receiver is the component that *IS* the firearm, not the stock.

With my experience and research shipping firearms on eight separate occasions, it's a common mistake interchanging the terms firearm and longgun and handgun. My experience agrees with cycleguy2300; for the purpose of shipping it's important to understand which laws apply to firearms and which to handguns/longguns. The ATF legal definition of a firearm is the serialized frame or receiver.

Top Bottom