• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WarmAK47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    What are some of the pros and cons of the 3, 2, and 1 point slings for AR rifles?

Anyone know of any websites with comparisons or reviews? Anyone have any personal recommendations of what they prefer?

I'm also looking at shotgun slings. Do y'all find the ones with cartridge holders becoming heavy and cumbersome? It'd be nice to have some extra rounds besides what's in the magazine and the sidesaddle.
    ARJ Defense ad

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Single Point:

Pro - Very quick to transition between shooting right and left handed, simple, usually easy to mount, setup and use.

Con - For lots of movement or quick movement, the gun isn't retained very well and the muzzle will tend to bounce around banging into your legs and such so, it's not all that "stable" from that perspective.

Overall - Great for CQB, quick transitions and ambidextrous shooting around different corners and such.

Two point:

Pro - Still fairly quick to use, simple to setup, retains the gun better on sidearm transitions, quick movement or lots of movement (running, hiking, etc basically more long range movement), many two points offer an ability to adjust length so you can quickly adjust the sling to fit the need in many situations (Blue Force Gear VCAS and Viking Tactical VTAC are two great ones).

Con - A bit more difficult doing ambidextrous shooting but can still be done, a bit more complicated to mount and setup than a single point (not much more difficult though)

Overall - The best compromise IMO. Usually very well rounded slings. The BFG VCAS and Viking Tactical VTAC are two I would highly recommend that offer a wide range of adjustability and adaptibility.

Three point:

Honestly, I don't have any real experience with three point slings. Personally, from what I have seen and the few guns I've handled with them (Mp5), I would say some of the more modern 2 point designs kind of supercede the three point design, and from my own layman's perspective make the three point sort of obsolete. You can do almost all the same stuff with a two point, but a two point is easier to use and more versatile. There are some pretty decent three points out there, such as one from Spectre Gear, some of which operate sort of like a much more stable two point with slightly different type of adjustability. Anyways that's just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt. ;)

Check these two points out (there are a bunch of different configs for each):

Blue Force Gear - AR 15 Parts
    Viking Tactics, Inc.

And a couple vids of these slings:

YouTube - Viking Tactics Sling - Instructional Video
    YouTube - blueforce gear vickers sling

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Slings can also improve rapid fire accuracy. You unhook one end, stand on the sling and pull the rifle up, putting the sling in tension. A Navy SEAL told me that one, and it makes sense, works pretty good too.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Honestly, I don't have any real experience with three point slings. Personally, from what I have seen and the few guns I've handled with them (Mp5), I would say some of the more modern 2 point designs kind of supercede the three point design, and from my own layman's perspective make the three point sort of obsolete. You can do almost all the same stuff with a two point, but a two point is easier to use and more versatile. There are some pretty decent three points out there, such as one from Spectre Gear, some of which operate sort of like a much more stable two point with slightly different type of adjustability. Anyways that's just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt. ;)

I agree with what you're saying about a good two point design vs three point. IMO, a well set up two point will do everything a three will and more.

I ran a three point on my AK for several months, and was happy with how it would allow transitions, but was very unhappy with the choice of carry positions; hanging across my chest or in my hands ready to use. I wound up modifying the sling (it was a cheapy, I'll admit) into a two point, and am much happier with it. It allows the rife to hang across my torso if I want to transition and with a slight adjustment I can just push the rifle up over my shoulder and carry it slung diagonally across my back. When I had the three point setup, that didn't work so well, the rifle wouldn't sit as tight to my back and would bang around on me and try to slide out of position.

I really like the 5.11/Viking Tactics sling: YouTube - 5.11 Tactical / Viking Tactics 2 Point Sling

I need to get one, think I'll order it next week.

Never been really interested in single point slings for a full-size carbine or rifle. Maybe for a small folding-stock SBR... You just can't carry a carbine or rifle with one without banging the crap out of your strong-side leg, it'll almost always have to be in your hands.

WarmAK47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Thanks, I appreciate the quick replies and the videos. I really like the quick adjust features of the Viking sling. I'll be ordering some of those.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I forgot to add that if you use an older-style two point slings that are what I think of as "hunting-style" and attach to the bottom of the rifle instead of the side/top, you can really use that to lock in on your rifle and improve accuracy. Of course, they're good for carrying (though I like the comfort of a 2-point attached to the side, since the rifle sits flat on your back), but you can't really use it for transitions.

Top Bottom