• ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Let’s start out with the obligatory “Asking for a friend”

Let’s say I have a rifle, purchased new from a dealer. It has a 16-in barrel.

Hypothetically, if I wanted to purchase a second upper with an 8” barrel, I would have to:
    1. Submit Form 1 to ATF, use serial numbers and everything else’s that’s already stamped on the lower, no need to engrave additional
    2. Wait for stamp
    3. Purchase upper once I get the stamp

Meanwhile, I can still run it as a rifle with the 16” barrel.
    With the stamp, I can swap the uppers without issue.

And the only issue I’d have would be crossing state lines with it, if it had the 8” barrel...there is no such issue with a 16” barrel.

Do I understand the process and legalities correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Target Sports

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    He can cross state lines with the SBR, but he needs an approved form before doing it. Otherwise he can cross state lines with the 16 BBL.

That is the interesting thing.....

It can be toggled between an SBR and a non-SBR-rifle and back at any time by changing uppers from sub-16" to 16".

I think that if you sell it as a non-SBR with a 16" upper or even no upper at all you would be wise (or obligated?) to notify BATFE of such action.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to advise the NFA Branch that a [Short Barreled Shotgun OR Short Barreled Rifle] previously registered by me on a Form 1 has been permanently returned to a Title I status firearm. I am respectfully requesting that the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR) be modified to reflect this change in status. Lastly, I am sending this letter in duplicate and request that one copy be returned to me along with a letter stating that NFRTR has been modified to reflect the change in status.

Name & location of original manufacturer: _____

Type of firearm: _____

Caliber, Gauge or Size: ___

Model: ___

Length of barrel: ____ (now returned to [x]”)

Length overall: ____ (now [x]”)

Serial number: ____

Thanking you in advance, I am

[Typed Name]

Include:

•Two Copies of this Letter
    • Previously Executed Form 1

You can also request a one-year approval if you transport an SBR to another state often. There is a form 5320.20 or you can write a letter in duplicate with the same info as required by the 5320.20. The form also contains information on where to send it by mail or fax https://www.atf.gov/file/11361/download

Last edited:
    Top Bottom