Lynx Defense

Rifle type used in school massacre ‘designed to kill multiple enemy combatants at once’

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That post is so good I was going to ask to copy it, with attribution.
    Since that's the case, I went back and tightened the language a bit. The original was dashed off pretty quickly and was a bit clumsy in places.

If you use that list, remember:
    • It's a United States list. It does not include things that happened on the frontier or in territories before they became states. If we go back to Indian-fighting days on the frontier, there were plenty of high-body-count horrors.
    • It does not include non-officially-sanctioned casualty numbers; there's at least one incident on the books where the official death count was in the single digits but credible witnesses put the death toll at over 100.
    • It only includes murder (including terrorist acts) but not manslaughter. If I included things like manslaughter, I'd have to include incidents like the Triangle Shirtwaist fire that killed 146.
    • It doesn't include things that were never investigated as mass murders such as regional wars between, for example, miners and management. Finally,
    • I don't warrant that the list is complete. It is, however, as complete as I can make it with just an hour or so of research. IOW, it was written to be good enough to make a point on the internet; it wasn't intended as a scholarly reference. I welcome corrections and additions from any source.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I think some of y'all are talking past each other.

50-100 years ago, "an automatic" was common language used to refer to a semi-automatic pistol. Everyone knew the difference between full- and semi-, even if the terminology was sometimes imprecise.

You'll even run across the occasional oldtimer these days who still calls a 1911 an automatic. They're not wrong; they're just using outdated language that sounds wrong to our modern ears.

Shall we cut each other a break?

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I can't wait for the time self-driving cars are common place, and people will kvetch about cars with steering wheels and pedals being called automobiles even though they don't drive themselves. Maybe self-driving cars will be called full-auto mobiles!?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

50-100 years ago, "an automatic" was common language used to refer to a semi-automatic pistol. Everyone knew the difference between full- and semi-, even if the terminology was sometimes imprecise.

You'll even run across the occasional oldtimer these days who still calls a 1911 an automatic. They're not wrong; they're just using outdated language that sounds wrong to our modern ears.

Where can I get some of them modern ears?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

You are correct as usual Ben, but times they are a changing, lol.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    My concern is the grabbers and press that tend to call everything an automatic, even when it isn't. Why feed the fire?

Last edited:

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) announced Thursday he is willing to sit down and discuss gun control legislation with Sens. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and John Cornyn (R-TX).
    Can't do anything about Grassley but Cornyn's GOT TO GO. He's become McConnell's 'under cover' guy. Never has done anything good for Texans.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) announced Thursday he is willing to sit down and discuss gun control legislation with Sens. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and John Cornyn (R-TX).
    Can't do anything about Grassley but Cornyn's GOT TO GO. He's become McConnell's 'under cover' guy. Never has done anything good for Texans.
    I would be HAPPY to discuss gun control legis with FineTime and Cornhole.

Hello Senators, I came here to talk gun control and I have 3 key points I want your to understand:

1) Gun control is hitting your target
    2) From my cold dead hands
    3) Over my dead body

Thank you and it was GREAT talking to you...bye!

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond

The GOP will save us.....

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Cornyn - Smug suaveness, with coiffed silver hair, forked tongue and pseudo senatorial bearing ... yet nothing but a total BS'er.

Top Bottom